Extract Contacts from OST file
Updated on August 17, 2023 by Savita Sharma
OST file is an offline copy of the user’s mailbox stored on the Exchange server. OST files stores complete mailbox including emails, contacts, drafts, notes, calendars, etc. It enables the users to access all the data stored in mailbox when the Exchange Server is unavailable. However, there are many reasons for user to extract contacts from an OST file.
Common Reasons Why User want to Extract Contacts from OST file
There are many reasons why users want to extract their Contacts from the OST file. Most common reasons are here:-
- Exchange server non-synchronization - In some situations, the offline storage table may fail to synchronize updates, including recent contacts added to the offline copy of your OST file.
- Backing up the data - For security reasons, you may want to back up the contacts in the OST file and save the vital data onto the machine.
- Changing file format - There are few circumstances where user want to convert OST contacts to different file format. Many Other reasons to extract contacts from an OST file could exist.
Two methods to Extract Contacts from Outlook OST file
1st Method: By Using Import/Export Feature of Outlook
By Using Import/Export Feature of Outlook
- 1) Run Outlook program and click on the File tab.
- 2) Next click on ‘Open & Export option’ and then click on Import/Export option
- 3) After that, select Export a file option and then click on the Next tab below.
- 4) In next page appeared select Outlook Data File (.pst) from Create a file type option, and proceed by clicking on Next button.
- 5) Now select the Contacts folder and then click on the Next.
- 6) Next select the location for saving the files and according to your requirement you can select Replace duplicates with items exported, Allow duplicate items to be created or do not export duplicate items.
- 7) Click on the Finish button.
- 8) Now if you want to create a password protected PST files then create password by entering the password in Create Outlook Data File.
Automated Method: By Regain OST to PST Converter
There are several drawbacks of the manual methods. It is very lengthy, requires technical knowledge, chances of data loss, and gets connected to Exchange server by users own profile. So to get rid of these entire problems by using a third-party tool, it gives a simple and automated tool to convert OST Contacts to PST / vCard format in just few minutes. You can also convert OST contacts to many other email formats such as MBOX, EML, MSG, HTML and many more format. You can go for Regain OST to PST Converter which is designed with an easy and graphic user interface that can be used by an average user easily.
Steps to be followed for conversion are:
- 1) Install and Run Regain OST to PST Converter on Windows Operating system
- 2) Click on Add file/Add folder and select the OST file
- 3) Take Preview of the file before conversion
- 4) Save the location for saving the file after conversion
- 5) Next from saving option select ‘save to vCard’ option
- 6) Click convert Now button to Save all OST Contacts into vCard (VCF file) Format.
- Instantly convert OST contacts in few clicks
- No loss of data and maintains the original format of the data
- Compatible with Microsoft Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, 2000, 2002, 98 and 97
- Supports all windows edition i.e. Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, XP, Vista
- Detailed preview of recovered OST data
- Allow to convert OST Contacts to many other email formats
- Import OST Contacts to Office 365, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, Amazon Workmail and Live Exchange Server
- Professionally recover Outlook Contacts from OST file by OST Recovery Tool
- Restore all OST folders in working format
In this page, we have discussed two methods for extracting OST contacts. One manual method does not require any pre-installation but is a very lengthy process. There are various drawbacks of using a manual process as there are chances of data loss, corruption of data, etc. The second method is the most recommended as the tool conducts the extract process automatically, and accurate results are provided in very little time. This tool has easy conversion steps, but if you have any doubts, you can download the tool's trial version, which is similar to the licensed version.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q 1. How does Regain OST Converter tool help me to Extract Contacts from OST files?
Ans. In this blog, we explain all possible methods to extract contacts from OST files. Manual methods have some limitations while Regain software will do this task in just few clicks. You can see the screenshot of this process in the blog above.
Q 2. What is the best way to extract contacts from an Outlook OST file?
Ans. In this blog, we discuss two methods to restore contacts from OST files:
- 1. By using Outlook Export/Import Wizard
- 2. By Using the Professional Regain OST Converter tool
Both of these methods are already discussed above in the blog. Now it is up to you, which you will prefer. I suggest you go with the professional tool, you did not need to take any risk to your data.
Q 3. Can I move Extracted Contacts files to any other places?
Ans. Extracted Outlook Contacts saved in VCF format, This file you can move to any other location by using any storage device.