Published On - December 26, 2022 by Armaan |Reading Time: 4 minutes
If you’re looking to switch from Mozilla Thunderbird to Microsoft Outlook, or if you simply want to have a backup of your Thunderbird emails in an Outlook PST file, this tutorial is for you. In this blog post, we’ll show you how to export your Thunderbird emails to an Outlook PST file, step by step.
This will allow you to access your Thunderbird emails from within Outlook, and you’ll be able to use Outlook’s powerful email management tools to organize and manage your messages. Whether you’re a business professional or a casual email user, this tutorial will help you get your Thunderbird emails into Outlook in no time. So, let’s get started!
Why export Thunderbird emails to Outlook PST?
There are several reasons why someone might want to export their Thunderbird emails to an Outlook PST file:
- Compatibility: Outlook is a widely used email client, and PST is a common file format for storing email data. Exporting Thunderbird emails to PST file allow you to access them in Outlook, which may be more convenient if you use Outlook for your email needs.
- Backup and archival: Exporting emails to a PST file can be a useful way to create a backup of your emails in case something happens to your original email account or client. It can also be useful for archiving emails that you no longer need active access to but still want to keep for reference or compliance purposes.
- Consolidation: If you have multiple email accounts or clients, exporting emails from Thunderbird to PST file can help you consolidate all of your emails into a single location. This can make it easier to manage and search for emails.
- Transferring emails between devices or accounts: Exporting emails from Thunderbird to PST file can also be a useful way to transfer emails between devices or accounts. For example, you might want to move your emails from an old computer to a new one or from a personal account to a work account.
Overall, exporting Thunderbird emails to PST file can provide convenience, backup, archival, consolidation, and transfer capabilities.
How to export Thunderbird emails to Outlook PST file?
Users frequently look for a free and manual way to migrate from Thunderbird to Outlook. However, you should be conscious before using any untrusted online converters. We have described two safer manual methods below. Make sure to read them.
1) Thunderbird to CSV and CSV to Outlook
To export Thunderbird emails to an Outlook PST file, you can use the following steps:
- Open Thunderbird and select the emails that you want to export.
- Then from the “File” menu and give the “Export” command.
- Just select the “Export to a file” option and command “Next.”
- Select “Outlook CSV” as the file format and click “Next.”
- Specify a desired destination for the saved export file, and then click “finish” to finalize the process.
Note: These steps will export the selected emails from Thunderbird to a CSV file. To import this CSV file into Outlook, you will need to follow the steps below:
- Firstly, open your Outlook and reach to the “File” tab.
- Under this tab, you will find the “Open & Export” section, from there choose “Import/Export.”
- Select “Import from another program or file” and click “Next.”
- Pick the “Comma Separated Values” option as the file type and click “Next.”
- Browse to the location of the exported CSV file and click “Next.”
- Select the folder where you want to import the emails and click “Next.”
- Click “Finish” to complete the import process.
If you prefer, you can also use a third-party tool to directly import the emails from Thunderbird to Outlook in the PST format. These tools often offer more advanced options and may be easier to use than the manual export and import processes described above.
2) Using the webmail account
To export emails from Thunderbird to Outlook through a webmail account, you can follow these steps:
- In Thunderbird, select the emails you want to export. You can select multiple emails by holding the Ctrl key and clicking on each email you want to select.
- Right-click on the selected emails and select “Save As” from the context menu.
- In the “Save As” window, select a location on your computer where you want to save the emails and click “Save.” This will save the emails as “.eml” files.
- Log in to your Outlook webmail account in a web browser.
- In your webmail account, create a new folder where you want to import the emails from Thunderbird.
- Drag and drop the .eml files you saved from Thunderbird into the new folder in your webmail account.
That’s it! You should now have the exported emails from Thunderbird in your Outlook account.
Trusted third-party tool for MBOX to PST conversion
There are several third-party tools available for converting MBOX files into PST format. Before purchasing any third-party tool, it is recommended to check the features and compatibility with your system. You can also try the trial versions of these tools to see if they meet your needs.
Usually, we use the Regain MBOX to PST converter software for a long time. We have good experience with its features, updates, user interface, customer care, and others. That’s why we always recommend our users use it.
Exporting Thunderbird emails to Outlook PST file can provide many benefits, such as compatibility, backup and archival, consolidation, and transfer capabilities. To do this, you can either use the manual export and import process or a third-party tool. Whichever method you choose, you’ll be able to access your Thunderbird emails from within Outlook. Lastly, just take advantage of its powerful email management tools.