Fix Outlook Spell Check Not Working Error
Updated on February 23, 2024 by Armaan
Error-less and well-organized content always create the best image of yours, and silly and blunder spelling mistakes ruin your impression. In many instances, we encounter Outlook Spell Check Not working, and you are unable to resolve it. If you are also experiencing this issue and want to get rid of it, this write-up has various solutions to fix this error. So, let's know some common reasons for this problem and how to resolve it rapidly.
Possible reasons for Spell Check Not Working Issue in Outlook:
This error has multiple reasons, which can differ from person to person. Still, some of the common reasons are listed below:
- You are using an outdated Outlook version.
- Language is not compatible with the spell checker; language issue.
- Chances are there that the feature is disabled.
- There is a chance that any other tool impacts the Spell Checker.
- Virus/malware attacks are always probable reasons.
- Your Outlook Data Storage File (PST) is corrupt, and this is a common issue users face.
How to Fix Outlook Spell Check Not Working Error?
This is the most asked question by users and is evident for anyone suffering from this issue. Let's learn what are the workarounds to resolve this issue.
Solution 1. Change the default language in Outlook
A language variation could be a reason if the spell check tool is not working correctly. As Outlook uses MS Word for composing, you should also ensure what language it is set to.
E.g. UK English and US English spell many words in a different manner.
Solution 2. Restart Outlook
Many Outlook errors just get resolved by restarting the Outlook. So, it is recommended to restart Outlook and check if the Outlook spell check not working issue is resolved.
Solution 3. Disable Message Ignoring
It is also recommended to verify if spell check ignores certain parts of your email messages. If Outlook is set to ignore areas in replies and forwarded messages, it is a possible reason for Outlook Spell Checker Error.
- 1. To check, follow: File > Options > Mail
- 2. Clear the Ignore original message text in reply as well as forward option under Compose messages.
- 3. Click OK.
Solution 4. Crosscheck for the Correct activation of Spell Checker:
- 1. Click on the File tab, and from the options, select Mail.
- 2. Cross check if you have checked the box 'Spelling and AutoCorrect'.
- 3. Under 'When correcting spelling in Outlook', you must check 'Check Spelling as You Type', 'Mark Grammar as You Type', and other options as needed.
Solution 5. Update/Repair the Outlook App
Like any other application, the Outlook app can also contain some unresolved bugs, especially if you use an older version of Outlook. So, to avoid such issues, update the Outlook app.
- 1. Launch the Outlook app.
- 2. Click the File menu.
- 3. In the bottom left corner, select Office Account.
- 4. Click Update Options which is on the right-pane and select Update Now.
- 5. Relaunch Outlook and check if the Outlook Spell Check not working issue is resolved or not.
If the error is still not fixed, you can repair the Outlook app by following the below steps.
- 1. Open Outlook and select File > Info.
- 2. Then, select Account Settings.
- 3. Choose the Outlook account where you are having problems. Click Repair which is on the top.
- 4. Let the repair process finish and check for the error status by restarting.
Solution 6. Repair PST File: The Most Probable Reason for Outlook Spell Check Issue
If you have gone through all of the above-given tasks and are still looking for a solution to fix Outlook spell check, your PST file is corrupted. A corrupt PST file always leads to errors in Outlook, and Outlook Spell check is the common one.
How do you repair PST files in a few steps?
However, Microsoft has provided an inbuilt utility to repair the PST file, and the utility name is Scanpst.exe. However, this tool is not absolute, and it only works for severe corruption. Also, large-sized PST files can't be added. Hence, everyone needs an absolute solution, and professional software is here to help you. Regain Outlook PST Repair Tool is a one-stop solution for the same, and it is boosted with multiple advanced features:
- It can repair any corrupt PST file, no matter what type of corruption it is.
- There is no restriction on the data size; it can accommodate any PST file size.
- After recovery, you can save the recovered PST file items to PST itself. Like other file formats, it can also save the data in the EML, EMLX, MBOX, and RTF.
- Along with recovery, you can export PST to Office 365, Exchange Server, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail-like cloud platforms.
- This utility is compatible with all the versions of Windows OS.
- Users also get free technical support/assistance and a free demo version.
Simple Steps to Fix Outlook Spell check Error by Repairing PST File:
- 1. Install and launch the Regain Outlook PST Recovery Software.
- 2. Add the Outlook Data File (PST) you want to recover
- 3. This professional utility will scan the PST file and recover it.
- 4. Now, you can preview the recovered items and cross-check the data.
- 5. After recovering the data, you can make settings for results.
- 6. You can set the resultant file format. However, we will select the PST file format as weonly want to repair the PST file. Also, we have to choose the destination by browsing the path. Also, you can set the size for the PST file using the Split PST option. It will prevent oversized PST files and manage the size.
- 7. Finally, click on Convert Now, and the process of saving recovered PST items into a new PST file will start.
Gist of the Blog:
This blog focuses on the Outlook Spell Check not working issue and discusses how to Fix Outlook Spell check Working Error. A few manual workarounds are also explained in this write-up but they don't work if the issue is with the added PST file. Corruption in PST files is acommon issue and many Outlook users face it due to various reasons. If your Outlook Spell Check not working issue is still going on then you must try the Outlook PST Repair Tool developed by Regain. It also facilitates previewing inaccessible items after recovery for free.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q1: Does Outlook Spell check go specifically for UK and US English?
Ans: Yes, Outlook provides the option to select the preferred language, and there it offers options: English (United States) and English (United Kingdom).
Q2: How is corruption in the PST file associated with the Outlook Spell check Not working error?
Ans: Whenever an Outlook-associated PST file gets corrupted, we can see the impact on the Outlook’s working. Outlook’s performance degrades, and you start encountering multiple errors.
Q3: How can I Crosscheck that my settings to check spelling and grammar are enabled in Outlook?
Ans: Click on the File tab >> from the options, select Mail, and check if 'Always Check Spelling Before Sending' is checked. If unchecked, then check and enable.
Q4: How can I fix autocorrect in Outlook?
Ans: Go to File, Options, Mail, and select Editor Options. Select Proofing, Auto Correct Options. On the Auto Correct tab, select or straight forward Replace text as you type.