Updated On - October 17, 2022 by Henry Bray |Reading Time: 3 minutes
Microsoft Outlook is one of the most frequently used personal information management applications and has users across the world relying on the program to help keep their information in order. The word “email” covers a broad array of different kinds of information. In this blog, we explain why user do not use Scanpst.exe to fix OST file.
It is known as PST (Personal Storage Table) and OST (Outlook Storage Table) files are widely used in MS Outlook (Offline Outlook File). This offline media for Exchange mailbox data is referred to by the name of the OST file. In addition, it stores an exact duplicate of the mailbox as well as one that is able to be downloaded. This means that users are able to continue working even when they have only a few or no Internet connection.
However, there is an issue that could be caused by corrupting one of OST files. It is the Scanpst.exe scan is one that is used by many people to try to fix these files. Only way you can be sure is to test it. There are variety of reasons Scanpst.exe is not recommended to fix OST files.
Related Blogs: Fix and Repair the over-sized Outlook PST file
Reasons why OST file deleted or damaged
To ensure that OST files secure for the future, it’s important to know the reasons for corruption of OST file.
- If an OST file gets damaged, it could be due to an infection or glitch.
- The file could be damaged if Outlook isn’t completely closed, Be cautious.
- There’s a limit to the size of a file that it can be. If the data contained in a file surpasses its maximum allowed and is not accessible, it could be blocked.
- Certain Outlook extensions and add-ins are not compatible with the software.
- The interruptions caused by power downtime or poor connectivity could result in OST files to corrupt.
Know, How to Use Scanpst.exe tool
It is the Inbox Repair Tool (also known as Scanpst.exe) could help to identify and fix the root of the problem before it is a permanent issue when Outlook files aren’t accessible damaged, corrupted or deleted.
Use Scanpst.exe tool to fix OST file
Scanpst.exe is among the most frequently used programs to repair issues in Outlook file data. In certain situations it could be able to pinpoint and fix minor issues however, this isn’t always the scenario. Scanpst.exe is, as its name implies, was developed solely for the purpose of solving issues with MS Outlook. It’s not the primary goal of the tool to resolve OST problems with files however, it’s certainly one of the ways to solve them. It is suggest that you begin from scratch because the files contain cache information.
Do you have alternatives to this situation?
Restoring OST files that are damaged can be done through a variety of ways. By using the following options it is possible to do this:
If needed you need to rebuild the OST file
If you use Scanpst.exe, It is not going to be able to fix serious OST corruptions of the file. Re-creating this OST files is the most effective alternative. The extension ‘.old’ can be used to modify the name and Outlook will recreate it on the server each when the application is stopped. If needed it is necessary to restore your OST file.
Fix corrupt OST file using Regain OST Recovery tool
To get all the data from damaged OST file, the user could transform it into a PST file. It is recommended to use a professional program as you’ll have to deal with confidential and sensitive data. The abilities provided by Regain OST Recovery tool enable it to perform the essential tasks:
Convert OST into PST file is simple and safe. It can be used with any version of Outlook that comes from Microsoft.
- The corrupted OST files can be repaired by using this tool.
- A full preview of each item within the inbox is displayed at the fingertips of user.
- The OST file lets users look up and find an item.
- An online Office mailbox or another email system can be utilized to export emails from the OST file.
- The tool allow you to convert OST to PST and other email format such as EML, MSG, MBOX, EMLX, HTML etc.
- It can import OST to Office 365, Gmail, Exchange Server, Yahoo Mail, Amazon Workmail etc.
- It can split large PST file before saving.
There is a way to utilize Scanpst.exe to attempt to repair OST files and PST files. However, it’s not advised. It is useful for fixing minor OST file issues. However, this scan is not efficient to deal with more serious problems. When the OST files are damaged, the files must be rebuilt from scratch. In order to do this, change the name of your file as.old. When dealing with a stable internet connection, this strategy may be successful. Outlook OST files may be Converted into Outlook PST files as an alternative to transfer data between the two apps. This is a top-level process which requires an application that is specifically designed for this purpose.