Outlook Data File Has Reached the Maximum Size: Resolve
Updated on November 09, 2023 by Nasir Khan
We all know that Microsoft Outlook is one of the most popular and advanced email applications, with millions of customers. But despite its various advantages, Outlook has some limitations too. Having a size limit on data storage files is one of them. Whenever the data storage files reach their maximum limit, users get the message "Outlook data file has reached the maximum size".
After getting this message on the screen, it is obvious that the user will search for a way to get rid of it. This write-up deals with all the dimensions of this issue and covers this topic holistically. Be with the blog till the end, and for errorless use of the Outlook email client.
Causes behind the "Outlook Data File Has Reached the Maximum Size" error:
- It may arise as a result of a file size issue with the PST file in Outlook.
- In addition, whenever the data file in Outlook has exceeded its highest size limit.
Actually, Microsoft Outlook used to save its data files with the PST file extension. But Microsoft has set a size limit for the PST file. The size limit has a variation that varies with versions. For instance, the PST file size of Outlook 2013, 2016, and 2019 is 50 GB.
Once a PST file reaches its maximum size, it becomes susceptible to corruption. As a result, Outlook throws the error that we mentioned above.
How do I resolve the error "Outlook Data File has reached the maximum size"?
This section of the write-up describes a comprehensive and straightforward approach for troubleshooting Outlook data files that have exceeded the maximum size limit. A warning message appears on your computer screen when Outlook data files approach their maximum size. Don’t panic. Keep reading and follow the solutions as follows:
Solution 1: Delete unimportant items
Deleting unneeded emails and other material aids in shrinking the size of the PST files. It resolves the issue where the Outlook data file has reached the maximum size.
- You must first load the PST file. Select the items that will not be important to you in the upcoming days.
- Afterwards, you may delete all of the highlighted objects.
- Finally, permanently remove the deleted items folder.
However, data files that are no longer required by the user must be erased from an enormous PST file on a regular basis. This is the most basic approach for freeing up PST file space and preventing files from exceeding the maximum size restrictions. Similar data items in the PST file can also be eliminated to free up excess memory. This avoids the problem that the PST file has reached its maximum size.
Solution 2: Increase the size of the PST file manually with registry entities
Actually, there is a built-in option provided by Outlook to increase the PST file size. If you don't want to delete any files, then this solution could be the best and most appropriate for you. Read the steps as follows:
- 1. Firstly, execute the run command (press Windows + R).
- 2. In the opened window, type "Regedit" and press the OK icon.
- 3. When the My Computer menu opens, double-click on the "HKEY CURRENT USER" option.
- 4. Next, double-click on the "Software" folder and pick the "Policies" option.
- 5. To continue, select Microsoft and then Office.
- 6. Now select the option that has been given in the image below according to the outlook version you are using.
- 7. Navigate to Outlook and double-click the PST file.
- 8. Right-click on "MaxLargeFileSize" and select it.
- 9. Then, under the Value Data Box, press the Modify icon to enter the numbers.
- 10. Then, press the "OK" icon.
By these steps, you can size limit and postpone Outlook data file has reached the maximum size error.
Solution 3: Alternatively, archive the Outlook data files (PST)
You can archive your Outlook files to keep them secure and save a lot of storage space. As a result, to prevent them from clogging up and exceeding their maximal size limit, you may preserve the old times in a dedicated Outlook data file.
However, it should be known to you that if your account links to an Exchange Server, then the Archive and AutoArchive functions may not be present in Outlook. Read the steps as follows if you don’t know how to archive your Outlook data files:
- 1. Firstly, run Outlook and sign in using the necessary details.
- 2. Select the Info section from the File tab.
- 3. Choose the Archive folder setting here.
- 4. Then, under Archive things older than that, enter a timeframe.
- 5. Specify the directories to archive by clicking the Browse icon.
- 6. You may also confirm the included files with the "Do not auto-archive" selected feature.
- 7. To finish the process, click the "Ok" icon.
Solution 4: Try to compress an oversized PST file
This approach is compatible with Outlook 2013 and later editions. You may regain the space left by removing objects by using the "Compact Now" function. This function aids in the compression of large PST files. However, Outlook automatically compacts data files if they have more than 20% free space. You may also manually condense the PST file by following the following steps:
- 1. Firstly, navigate to the File tab in Outlook.
- 2. Select Account Settings from the drop-down menu.
- 3. Choose the Data Files tab and then pick the pst file you wish to compress.
- 4. Then, select the Settings option.
- 5. Press OK after clicking the Compact Now option.
Things you should be aware of before moving manually:
- Move ahead with the manual method if you are technically sound.
- If you have multiple oversized files, then it may consume a lot of time.
- The chances of human error are always there.
- You can’t select a size limit on your own to reduce the file.
Solution 5: Repair corrupt PST files professionally if PST files get corrupted due to oversize
Obviously! software developers have worked hard to offer a professional tool to repair corrupt PST files. Regain Outlook PST Recovery tool has also developed an advanced utility to repair and recover corrupted/inaccessible files. This tool has a lot of features to offer a seamless and assured recovery of PST file data.
Some of the highlighted features of this professional tool:
- There is no restriction on the size of the PST file; hence, it can add and repair PST files of any size.
- Severely corrupted and hardly deleted items can be easily recovered using this PST file recovery tool.
- Users get multiple file formats to save the PST file data in various prominent file formats, including PST, MBOX, MSG, EML, and HTML-like file formats.
- After recovering PST files, this tool provides a preview of the recovered items before saving them into a new file. It assures users of the correct recovery of the items.
- This utility deals with all kinds of Outlook PST types: Unicode and ANSI. Also, the Outlook version doesn’t affect the working of this tool.
- Regain Outlook PST Recovery is compatible with all versions of Windows OS, so there is no need to worry about the operating system’s compatibility.
- A free trial version is also available to check the working of the software before purchasing the license.
How to repair corrupt PST files professionally?
You just have to follow the simple steps to repair/recover corrupted/inaccessible PST files.
- 1. Install and launch the Regain Outlook PST Recovery Tool.
- 2. Now add the PST files that are corrupted and need recovery.
- 3. The tool will preview all the items within PST file after recovery.
- 4. Click the Export and select the file format in which you want to save your data. If you select PST file, you can also set the size limit for the resultant PST files. You can also remove empty folder by checking box.
- 5. After completing the process, you will get the message saying, “ File conversion process has been completed.
By following above steps, you can simply get rid of PST corruption issue that arise after getting error.
Oversized Outlook files are prone to corruption; hence, whenever an Outlook data file has reached the maximum size, be aware. However, if your PST file gets corrupted, then using a professional method is wise. The Regain Outlook PST Recovery tool offers a one-stop solution. This tool can recover and provide access to inaccessible file items within a few clicks. A free demo version of the software is also available to download; you must install and use it.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q1: What is the recommended size for the Unicode PST file?
Ans: Now, the recommended upper size for the Unicode PST file size is 50 GB. Initially, for Outlook 2002 and earlier versions, the PST ANSI file format had a recommended size limit of 2 GB. Later, it increased to 20 GB for Outlook 2003 and 2007 versions.
Q2: What issues can users face if they have oversized PST files?
Ans: Microsoft has recommended a size limit for the PST file. i.e. 50 GB. If your PST files are oversized, then it may get corrupted. Also, users can face issues in adding the PST file in Outlook.
Q3: Is this professional tool able to recover severely corrupted and hardly deleted Outlook emails?
Ans: Yes, this tool can assuredly recover severely corrupted PST files and deleted Outlook emails. This software is developed with a highly advanced algorithm, hence capable of recovering from all PST files.
Q4: How can I ensure that this third-party tool will be able to recover the items from the corrupted PST files?
Ans: Getting assured before paying is obvious, and Regain knows this. For the same, a free version is also available to download, which allows users to check the tool’s efficiency before purchasing. You can easily handle the corruption issue after Outlook data file has reached the maximum size error.