Resolve unable to add Gmail into MS Outlook
Updated on November 24, 2022 by Henry Bray
Microsoft Outlook and Gmail both are popular email platforms. However, Gmail is a cloud-based email client, while Outlook isn't. So, in order to gain additional features, many users can add to their Gmail email address into Outlook and are able to access offline features.
A few Windows 10 users, particularly those who make use of Microsoft Outlook to organize their email on a regular basis, are experiencing an issue that causes a regular disconnect to Google's Gmail server. According to them, whenever they attempt to connect an Gmail email address to Outlook on their computer the process fails. Do not be worried if have this problem. Continue to follow this simple fix and your issue will be fixed in the near future.
Manual Method to Fix 'unable to connect Gmail into MS Outlook' issue
Method 1: In Gmail's Settings, enable IMAP access
Log into your Gmail account and then click on the small settings icon located in the upper right-hand area of your display. Select View all options. Select the Forwarding option and the POP/IMAP option. It is essential to ensure your IMAP status is set to enable. Concerning POP IMAP, you should simply avoid this obsolete standard. It's out of date, yet it's not necessary to continue using it.
IMAP is a distinct protocol that allows communication between two email clients and an online server. It lets the server sync your mailbox across all devices and ensure that everything is up-to-date. If you open an email in Outlook for example, IMAP makes sure that the email message will be recognized when being seen by the Gmail interface, too. This is how modern email functions, which is the reason why people have opted out of POP as it isn't equipped with these capabilities.
In reality, Gmail keeps IMAP enabled by default for all accounts, and this makes this procedure not necessary. You only need to connect the Gmail account to MS Outlook to make sure that it's activated. If not it could be that you experience difficulties.
If you've noticed that your IMAP option is active on Gmail it could be that there are problems with Gmail's settings. Check and fill in the basics of the authentication settings. It is essential to turn on "Less Secure App Access" option, if it's not enabled it yet.
Method 2: Examine to determine whether the "Less Secure App Access" option is enabled or not.
Sometimes, re-sign into Microsoft Outlook, using the email address can make additional fixes. But before that, it is necessary to enable the above option so that Gmail can access the apps with less security options. To do just that, follow the procedures outlined following.
- 1. Firstly, go to any browser and search for “Gmail”.
- 2. Whenever the search result appears, open Gmail which is a service of Google.
- 3. While Gmail is loaded on your device's browser, press on your account (it will have a photo) in the upper corner, and then tap on "Manage your Google Account."
- 4. Navigate to the "Security" settings page under Account settings.
- 5. Next, slide down and tap on Turn on the permission of "Less secure app access (not recommended)."
- 6. Exit the browser tab.
In actuality, enabling this feature isn't advised by Google since the safety of the user is the primary goal of Google. However, most times Gmail can cause issues to connect with other programs such as Outlook solely for security reasons.
Thus, disabling the option could lead to additional solutions. After you've found the solution, you can turn it back off.
Method 3: Remove email address and sign in again.
If you've enabled the security option mentioned above then it's only natural that the fix doesn't happen. It is necessary to delete your Gmail account from your email and then log in to MS Outlook with that account and this time you have the chance of getting an answer. Learn the steps in the following order:
- 1. Hit the Windows icon and type "Control Panel" into the search box
- 2. Next, select "Control Panel."
- 3. In the Control Panel screen, select 'View by:' from the drop-down menu.
- 4. Afterwards, choose "Small icons"
- 5. To adjust Email configuration, scroll to the bottom, locate, and then press on the "Mail (32-bit)" icon.
- 6. Tap "Show Profiles" in the Mail Setup box.
- 7. To delete the "Outlook" profile from your device, choose it and then press "Remove."
- 8. Now, select "Yes" to delete your profile. Also, shut the Mail window.
- 9. After that you need to execute the Run command on your PC (press Windows key + R).
- 10. Input "outlook.exe" into the Run box and press Enter button.
- 11. Outlook will now open and prompt you to log in with your email address.
- 12. Just enter your Gmail email address in the 'Email address' field and press "Connect" to create an email address user profile.
- 13. Once you enter your email address, you will see the message "Account successfully added."
- 14. Lastly, press "Done" to complete the email address setup procedure.
In this way, we have completed the re-attaching procedure of our Gmail account to Outlook. Now, it is absolute that the “Can’t add Gmail to Microsoft Outlook” error has been resolved.
Are you considering the idea of a Gmail backup?
In reality, backup is the most crucial thing for you when you perform regular online activities. Think about it, you've committed a mistake when adding an account with your Gmail to MS Outlook and consequently the entire necessary data are missing or damaged. Aren't you annoyed by this?
Don’t worry. Use of the Regain Gmail Backup application can assist you to overcome this issue. It has been specifically designed to keep a backup copy from every Gmail inbox folders in an address that is specified by the user. It does not require any expertise in order to keep a backup of the Gmail account.