Open PST File into Thunderbird
Updated on December 22, 2022 by Deepika Singh
On this page, Regain software has brought different ways how a user can use his Outlook mail files in Mozilla Thunderbird. Before moving towards How to open Outlook file in Thunderbird let us discuss Outlook and Thunderbird in brief.
Microsoft Outlook is available as part of the Microsoft Office suite, which is a Personal information manager. Although it is an Email application, it also includes a calendar, task manager, contact manager, note-taking, journal, and web browsing. Microsoft Outlook is a desktop-based email client that all big and small organizations use. It is the most preferred email client due to its easy, secure, and advanced functioning.
Thunderbird is an application developed by Mozilla Foundation, a desktop-based email client application. Mozilla Thunderbird is an open-source, cross-platform email client, news client, RSS, and chat client. Thunderbird can be used on multiple platforms like Windows, Mac, Linux, and Ubuntu operating systems. It is installed by default on Ubuntu desktop systems.
Due to Microsoft Outlook mail client's advanced functioning and rich features, its pay price is higher than other mail clients. So the users are moving towards a reliable and cost-effective mail client. Thunderbird is one of the mail clients most proffered by the users.
Reasons why users prefer to move Outlook emails into Thunderbird are:
Cross platform support: Mozilla Thunderbird mail client runs on multiple platforms like Windows, Mac, UNIX and Linux. It is installed by default on Ubuntu desktop systems.
Junk filtration: Filtering of junk files is quite well than other mail clients.
Multi language support: Mozilla Thunderbird client is translated into more than 50 different languages.
3 Methods to Import PST file into Thunderbird
- 1. Export Outlook To Thunderbird When Running On Same Operating System
- 2. Use Google Takeout to Export Outlook PST to MBOX
- 3. Automated Method (Using Regain PST to MBOX Converter)
Method 1: Export Outlook to Thunderbird when Running on Same Operating System
When you are running outlook and thunderbird mail clients on same system then follow the below listed steps:
- i. Go to start and click on default program
- ii. Go to ‘select your default program’
- iii. Select Outlook from program and click on ‘set as default browser’ and click on save changes
- iv. Now Run Thunderbird and in open file menu option on top then click on Tools >> Import
- v. Now you can select import everything or mails and click next
- vi. Next select Outlook as the file type and click next. Your files will be imported after completion click finish.
Method 2: Use Google Takeout to Export Outlook PST to MBOX
- i. Open Gmail account and go to Setting >> Forwarding and POP/IMAP and select Enable IMAP > Save the changes.
- ii. Run Outlook and go to file menu in Top bar
- iii. Click on add account now enter Username and Password of Gmail account and press Enter
- iv. Create new Folder and copy & paste the required Outlook files in that folder in newly configured Gmail account
- v. Now login to Gmail account and open Google Takeout (https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout).
- vi. Next select Mail option and deselect rest all the options from ‘select data to include’
- vii. Next create archive of Google and once it is created you can download the ZIP file containing the Outlook data in the MBOX file format.
- viii. Once after getting the link download the Google Takeout archive by clicking on Download.
- ix. After completion of download extract the Zip file to find the MBOX storing all your Gmail emails
- x. At last by using Thunderbird email client import the downloaded MBOX file.
Method 3: Professional Tool developed by Regain Software
Using Regain Outlook PST Converter, users can quickly convert PST files to MBOX/ EML, which Thunderbird Email client supports. User can even repair their corrupt PST files using this tool. One more benefit of using this tool is that it smoothly migrate Outlook PST to multiple formats i.e., MBOX, EML, MSG, EMLX, vCal, vCard, and Office 365 Platform.
Following are the Steps to Convert PST files to MBOX format:
- 1. Install and Run Regain Outlook PST Converter on your system
- 2. Click on Browse to add the PST files and Click on next
- 4. Select the files which are to be exported and click OK
- 5. Take preview of the files to confirm before saving in MBOX format
- 6. Now from saving option select MBOX file format
- 8. Now after selecting the format select the location where the files are to be saved
- 9. Click export the process will be completed in few moments.
Regain Outlook PST Converter Features:
- Converts Outlook PST files into new PST, EML, MSG, MBOX, HTML, PDF, VCF, EMLX, ICS, and TGZ file format.
- Allows migrating Outlook PST file to cloud server such as Gmail, Yahoo Mail, Outlook.com, GoDaddy, Amazon Workmail, Microsoft Office 365 account, and Live Exchange mailboxes.
- Allows adding and converting multiple Outlook PST files to support other file formats in a single go.
- Comes with filter option to filter unwanted and empty folders of PST files and split feature to set up a size for resultant PST files.
- Supports converting password-protected Outlook PST file. Also, there is no restriction on adding large-sized Outlook PST file for conversion to other format.
- Effectively recovers corrupted, damaged, or inaccessible Outlook PST files and deleted items of Outlook PST files.
So, on the above page, we have discussed the methods to open the PST file into Thunderbird. 1 and 2 are the manual method for conversion, which requires some technical knowledge, and there may be some data loss during the complete process. Therefore one of the best methods which best suits everyone and is professionally recommended is the automated method / third party tool. With the help of this tool, the files are converted in an easy, quick, and secure manner without any loss of data. So for getting effective results in time effective way, go for affordable and reliable third-party tool like Regain Outlook PST Converter.