How to Open PST File in Apple Mail
Updated on November 09, 2023 by Savita Sharma
If you have stored your email data in PST (Personal Storage Table) and want to open PST file in Apple Mail, you have landed on the right page. Here, you will know all about opening PST files in Mac mail.
We know that Outlook's data storage file and portability make it a preferred choice for email users, but you can't open PST files directly on Apple Mail. But there are some ways in which you can open PST file in Apple Mail. We can do this by converting PST files to MBOX file format, but before knowing the conversion methods, let us first briefly discuss Apple Mail and Microsoft Outlook.
A Brief Intro to Microsoft Outlook
Outlook is an integral part of the Microsoft Office suite, which is very popular as a desktop-based email client and the web version. It functions as an email application and includes calendaring, journals, note-taking, task manager, contact manager, web browsing, security features, and more. Outlook uses OST and PST file formats to store data; OST is an Offline Storage Table stored in the system where Outlook is installed, while PST can be ported to any other local storage device. MS Outlook allows the user to export-import the PST file by an inbuilt option of Open/Export.
A Glance on Apple Mail
Apple Mail has a reputation in the email market due to its advanced features and offerings. It is the default mail client of Mac OS and iOS. Mac mail saves the file in MBOX file format, and users can easily import MBOX files and open them. MBOX is a widespread file format that many email clients are using.
However, MS Outlook has a vast user base; still, Mac Mail is becoming the first choice for users when it comes to choosing a futuristic email client. Both email clients are best at their place, but when an Outlook user migrates to an Apple Mail client, the user faces many problems because both email clients use different file formats. Outlook saves its files in PST format, and Mac Mail saves its data in MBOX format; hence, it is necessary to convert PST to MBOX file format to open PST file in Apple Mail.
Why User Move from Outlook Email to Apple Mail?
There are several reasons why a user migrates from an Outlook mail client to Mac mail. Some of the reasons are discussed below:
Migrating from Windows OS to Mac OS: Migration from Windows OS to Mac OS can also be considered an upgrade as per the market; Apple has become a status symbol. When a Windows OS user moves to a new Mac operating system, the user gets Apple Mail as the default email client.
High Management Cost: We all know that Outlook has very advanced features and is a paid email application too. Due to its daily advancement, its management cost is also rising, and Outlook users are switching to Mac mail.
Organization Upgradation: When an organization upgrades from Windows to the Mac Operating System, the employees have to access their Outlook data in Apple Mail and they search a way to open PST file in Apple Mail.
Migration to Another Organization: When a user moves to another organization where the company functions on the Mac operating system, the user needs to export mailbox data to MBOX format, which can easily be accessed in Apple Mail, and hence need to open PST in Apple Mail.
Practical Issues: We all face some issues with technology, and email clients are not an exception. Users face issues such as corruption of files, account deletion, hard drive crashes, etc. This problem sometimes forces the user to shift from Outlook to Apple Mail.
Open PST file in Apple Mail by Converting PST to MBOX:
For converting MBOX files to PST file format, we have both manual and professional methods. Here, we will know about both in a detailed way.
Manual Way to Convert PST to MBOX:
If you want to transfer or open Outlook emails from PST in Apple Mail, then use this step-by-step process, which is given below:-
- 1. Open MS Outlook on your Mac OS.
- 2. Go to Menu >> File >> Import option to read Outlook emails in Mac Mail.
- 3. To continue, select the radio button for the Outlook Data file (.pst or. olm) in the next window and click the bottom right arrow.
- 4. Choose a File Type wizard, Select Outlook for Windows Archive file (.pst), and click the continue.
- 5. Now, find the PST file and import the file to open the Outlook PST file on Mac Mail
- 6. After completing the import process, click the Done button, and the PST file will appear in the Mac Outlook application.
- 7. You must now drag the PST data folder to the Mac desktop, where all the exported files will be converted to MBOX format.
- 8. The converted MBOX files can easily be imported into Apple Mail.
Limitations and Drawbacks of Manual Method:
The manual method comes free of cost, but they are not free of drawback and limitations. Several demerits are associated with the manual way that everyone should be aware of. Some of the common are listed below:
- • It is seen that the manual method misses attachments while converting PST to MBOX.
- • If, due to human error or any wrong step, the task goes the wrong way, you may lose your data.
- • To execute manual migration, Outlook should be configured on the Mac system.
- • Many technicalities are associated with this manual way; hence, non-technical and novice users may face difficulties executing the task.
- • The manual way is very time-consuming and tedious; hence, professionals don't prefer it.
- • No advanced options allow users to provide the inputs for the customized results.
How do Professionals Open PST file in Apple Mail?
The best method to use PST files in Mac mail is by using a professional automated tool. Using a professional tool is a wise decision for the effortless handling of PST to MBOX file conversion tasks. For the same, PST to MBOX Converter developed by the Regain Software offers a list of highlighted features:
- This tool is developed by a highly advanced algorithm, hence offering errorless conversion speedily.
- Regain PST to MBOX Converter allows you to add and process multiple PST files to convert, hence saving time.
- As it is to deliver easy tasks to every user (technical or non-technical), this professional utility comes with a very user-friendly GUI.
- Users can do selective conversion by checking only the desired folders.
- After adding the PST file, you can also have a preview of the items added.
- You can merge all folders into a single MBOX file to get the data in a single place.
- PST to MBOX Converter tool is compatible with all Windows OS, so there is no worry about the version of Windows.
- A free trial version of this software is also available. You can install and run this utility to test it before buying.
- At the end of the process, it also provides a log report that helps users maintain the actual status of converted items.
So, for an efficient conversion, we will recommend using Regain PST to MBOX Converter, which follows simple steps and provides results in a very short time.
Simple Steps to Convert PST to MBOX Using Regain Software:
- 1) Install and launch PST to MBOX converter software.
- 2) Hit the Browse button to upload the PST file on the software interface
- 3) Select the desired mailbox folder that you want to export.
- 4) Take a preview of the files and go with the export button.
- 5) Provide the location under the 'Save Destination Path' to save the MBOX file. You can also merge all items in a single MBOX file.
- 6) Click the Convert button and wait for the completion of the conversion.
- 7) You will get a pop-up message of successful conversion.
Now, you can open these newly created MBOX files in Apple Mail by using the import option in the mail application. To add MBOX file in Apple Mail, follow the steps:
- 1. Open Apple Mail.
- 2. Now go to the File tab on the ribbon bar.
- 3. From the dropdown menu, select the Import Mailboxes.
- 4. Finally, select the Files in MBOX format.
We know that PST is Outlook's file, and Apple Mail uses MBOX files; hence, we can't directly add and open PST file in Apple Mail. As discussed above, we have to convert .pst to .mbox file format to open PST file in Apple Mail. Regain Software has developed a professional tool for this conversion. Also, there is a manual way but the manual way has some limitations, too, that you should be aware of, while the Regain PST to MBOX Converter is boosted with numerous advanced features. A free trial version of this software is also available to download, which allows you to test the tool before purchasing a license.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q1: Using this professional utility, will I get all the items converted in the MBOX file from the PST file?
Ans: Absolutely Yes. This tool converts all items within the PST file format regardless of item type. If you convert using this professional tool, be assured about all the items.
Q2: I am using the Windows 11 Pro OS; is this tool compatible with this version?
Ans: Yes, it is compatible with this OS. Moreover, this utility is compatible with all versions of Windows OS, so no worry about the version of Windows OS.
Q3: I want to have a preview of the PST files before converting. Should I add it to Outlook to view, or is there any other way?
Ans: If you want to see the PST file items, then there is no need to add them to Outlook and view them. You can add files to this utility, and this tool will preview them all.
Q4: Will I be able to convert PST to MBOX by myself, or need technical assistance?
Ans: Though the GUI of this tool is very user-friendly, any user without prior technical knowledge can easily export Outlook emails to MBOX files. However, don't hesitate to get in touch with our technical support team if you need any technical assistance. Our technical support team is round-the-clock available to assist you.