How to Change OST to Outlook PST File
Updated on August 19, 2023 by Nasir Khan
Are you looking for a safe way to change OST to Outlook PST file format? If that's the case, this post is for you. On this page, we've covered the all possible manual solutions to change offline OST files to PST format and a professional tool, which allows you to change OST files to PST format and many other file formats. This page will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of manual methods before finally recommending the best conversion technique.
In MS Outlook, an OST file is an offline file folder. It allows users to work offline and whenever it is connect with the Exchange Server, all the data will be synchronize. PST is an open-source file format used by Microsoft software such as Microsoft Exchange Client, Windows Messaging, and Microsoft Outlook to store copies of messages, calendar events, and other data.
Reasons why User need to Change OST Files to PST format
Some of the main reasons why we need to change OST file to PST format are given below:-
Exchange Server Crash: If the Exchange Server crashes, the system fails, or if a virus hits the Exchange Server, you will be unable to connect. These scenarios can hurt your business and work, and your Outlook profile may not function properly. As a result, you can avoid this problem by changing OST to PST.
Accidental deletion of Exchange Server account: If your Exchange Server account is deleted by mistake or if data is lost. It is simple to recover by changing an OST file to a PST file format.
Data Migration: By converting an OST file to a PST format, you may export data from one system to another. This is beneficial in businesses that want to transfer data between machines.
Exchange Server maintenance: It's critical to have access to all mailbox items even if Exchange Server is down for maintenance. It is crucial because downtime might be prolonged and harm your organization. In these situations, changing OST to PST is an excellent option.
Rebuild OST file: If you want to rebuild your OST file, but it contains unsaved data, you can do so. In that case, you need to convert OST to PST.
Now let's start with the steps to change OST file to Outlook PST. The process can be performed manually or using a third-party tool.
Two Simple Manual Methods to Change OST to Outlook PST file
1st Method: Using Archive Feature to Change OST to PST File
With this built-in feature, you can copy the OST file directly or move it to a PST file. It is a great way to move your email file from OST to PST. But if you want to change only OST contacts to PST file then this method will not help you.
Following are the steps to move the OST file:
- 1. Open Outlook in your system and then open the OST file that you want to move to a new PST file.
- 2. The main window will appear on the screen, and click on File >> Info.
- 3. Now, you have to select Archive in the listed block.
- 4. After selecting the archive pop-up box is displayed.
- 5. Select a folder that you want to move.
- 6. On the same screen, you can see the archive items older than Select the date.
- 7. Now browse if you want to save a new PST file. And click the OK button.
2nd Method: Using Import/Export Feature to Change OST to PST file
It is another Outlook built-in method to change OST files to PST. Unlike the archiving function, it is the quickest and most straightforward way to move all mailbox data from the OST to PST file. In this case, we can not only use it to change the OST file to a PST file but also in CSV and Excel formats.
Steps to Change OST into PST file:
- 1. First, visit the Window program and open the Outlook application in the system.
- 2. Go to the main menu and then click on the File
- 3. Click on Open and Export and then choose the Import/Export option
- 4. The import and export wizard is displayed in a window. Choose Export to a File.
- 5. Click the Next button to continue the process.
- 6. Select Outlook data file (.pst), and click the Next button.
- 7. Select the mailbox folder where you want to save your PST file. Click Next to continue.
- 8. Now click on Browse to select the location to save the PST file.
- 9. Click on the OK button. And then Finish.
Finally, the new PST file contains the entire mailbox folders exported from the OST file.
Use Professional Tool to Change OST to PST file
You can manually convert OST to PST, but it has many disadvantages. It is not suitable for beginners as it requires technical knowledge to do the same thing. With the help of this Regain OST to PST Converter software, both professional and home users can use the tool to change OST files to PST format. The software even supports the batch process. It allows moving the entire OST folder with multiple OST files to PST simultaneously with no file size limitation.
To learn more about how the software works, get the free demo edition of OST to PST Converter, which allows you to change the first 30 files from OST to PST for free. Before purchasing the license key, a user can analyze and understand the software with a FREE DEMO.
Follow these Steps to change OST file to PST Outlook:
- 1. Launch "Regain OST to PST Converter" Software
- 2. Browse and select the OST file to scan that you want to change in PST format
- 3. Before the actual conversion, it will preview the scanned items of the selected OST file
- 4. Select the Save to PST option to save the data after conversion
- 5. Select the "Destination Path" to save the data on the local system after the conversion
- 6. Click 'OK' to begin the conversion of OST mailbox items. Once the process completes, it will show you a message – "Saving Process has been completed."
In this blog, we explain all possible solutions to change OST to Outlook PST file. Here we explain two manual methods and one professional tool. Manual methods are lengthy and require some technical skill. It has limitations as well while the professional Regain OST Converter tool does not have any limitations. It can change OST files to many other email formats as well such as EML, MSG MBOX etc. Now it is up to you which you prefer. We explain all methods with Advantages and disadvantages.