The Outlook program uses two types of file formats: OST and PST. The PST file includes all of Outlook's mail flow data and is kept on the device's hard drive, but the OST file is an identical copy of Exchange Server data and is stored as a local copy on the user's device. It is kept in order to store Exchange data for offline use.
Although an OST file enables users to view Exchange Server mailbox items in Outlook when offline, some circumstances necessitate the conversion of OST to PST file. In this article, we will talk about such reasons and free manual solutions to convert OST files.
There could be several reasons to convert an Exchange OST to PST file. A few of these factors are addressed as follows:
Users may have different scenarios, and that’s why there are various methods to perform the conversion. However, the topic of this article is too restricted to only manual and free methods, so we have lastly addressed professional software that can greatly help you.
This is a simple method for moving just a few mailbox objects to PST anytime you wish. This allows users to transfer messages from online email folders saved in an OST file format to an offline PST file linked to their Outlook account on the fly. The procedures are as follows:
In Outlook, click New Items, then go to More Items and press on the "Outlook Data File"
Input a title for this PST file and then press "OK." A pop-up window displays, allowing you to enter a passcode. To continue, hit "OK." If you enter a passcode, you must input it every time you wish to access the PST or whenever Outlook launches.
This will create a new empty PST file in Outlook. Following that, you can create folders and migrate emails from OST mail items to this PST file.Drag and drop the whole folder or subdirectory to this PST file.
Every Outlook edition provides an in-built import and export capability that enables users to quickly transfer data from OST files to PST files. The major requirement is that the OST file be connected to an Exchange Server at the moment of export.
It is handy whenever a user intends to make a local and portable backup of the data in their Exchange mailboxes. Read the steps as follows:
1. To begin with, launch the Outlook program. Then, under the File tab, select "Open & Export," and then click the Import/Export function.
2. Then pick and select the "Export to a file" selection and then press on the next icon.
3. Following that, it will prompt you to select the file type in which you wish to store the OST data. Choose an Outlook Data File (.pst). Then, click "Next."
4. A single mailbox folder (usually the Inbox folder) can be moved to PST. Choose your option and also tick the box that includes subfolders. Then, to proceed, press Next.
5. Hit the Browse option and input the path of the PST file on your system. Select any option for handling duplicate items and then click Finish.
6. After that, you may either add the password to your saved PST file or leave it out. The conversion procedure will begin and end according to the data involved.
If you have read both the manual processes, then it should be clear that it is so critical for an inexperienced person who doesn’t have any technical knowledge. However, these manual solutions have a lot of limitations (like you can’t convert large OST files, there is a risk of data loss, and more). True to say, most of the time, users fail to get results.
As a consequence, we feel that users must use professional software like Regain OST to PST converter tool. It’s an extensive software that can assist you in converting OST files to PST and recover lost emails from OST files.
At the end of the topic, good advice from us is that it is not the worst thing to use the manual solutions at all. But if the OST to PST conversion relates to your professional life, then you must use a third-party software. Don’t rely on the manual steps. It doesn’t work for every situation.