Updated On - June 19, 2023 by Nasir Khan |Reading Time: 6 minutes
G Suite is an amazing set of tools that make business tasks easier. Gmail is the main product of this suite of apps, and it is the most popular email service in the world right now. On the other hand, Office 365 is also a cloud-hosted platform for productivity, collaboration, and communication that brings together all the most important tools. Office 365 services are made to meet the needs of organizations in terms of safety, productivity, and reliability. Due to which users are seeking a way to import Gmail to Office 365.
If you’ve been using Google’s Gmail email service for a while, you may have noticed that you can’t download all of your old emails from the website anymore. It can be a pain to switch from Gmail to Office 365. This blog will look at the best ways to import Gmail to Office 365 using native methods.
2 Simple Methods to Import Gmail into Office 365
You can import Gmail to Office 365 on your own using the IMAP migration, but contacts and calendar information won’t be moved. You can also use this method to move from Gmail to Exchange on already set-up servers. If you want to move from G Suite to Office 365, you can start with the steps below:
Step1: Domain Verification
The first step involves verifying your ownership of the domain used for your Gmail Account with Office 365. If you’re using your Office 365 subscription with your own custom domain, you can directly add users after creating them in Office 365.
Step2: Create Users and Add them to Office 365
The second step to import Gmail to Office 365 using IMAP is to create users in Office 365, you’ll need a relevant license. Each user should be assigned a mailbox to facilitate the email migration process. Follow these steps:
- Access the Admin Center and navigate to Users on the right panel, then click on Active Users.
- Click on the More button and choose the Import Multiple Users option.
- For a single user entry, click on “Add a user” and manually enter the values. Alternatively, use the Import Multiple Users option to download a sample Excel sheet that you can reference to add your users.
- Important fields in the CSV file include Username, First Name, Last Name, Display Name, Age, Mobile Number, etc. The User Name column must contain the email address (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Once you’ve compiled the Excel sheet with the list of users, click on Browse from the Create and Upload file screen. Then click on Verify. Upon confirmation that the file looks good, click on Next.
Step3: Create a List of Gmail Mailboxes to Migrate
To continue with the Gmail to Office 365 migration process, you need to create an Excel file containing the list of mailboxes. Make sure you have the password for each Gmail mailbox you want to migrate. Temporary passwords can be assigned during the migration process. Here’s how:
- Sign in to the G Suite admin console using your administrator credentials.
- Go to Users and select List of users in the Google admin center.
- Identify each user’s email address and write them down.
- Sign in to the Office 365 admin center and navigate to Users > Active users.
- Open Excel and enter the credentials (email address, username, and password) for each mailbox you want to migrate, with one mailbox per row.
- Save the file as a CSV.
Related Post: Export EML to Office 365 Professionally
Step4: Create Migration Endpoints with Gmail IMAP
To ensure the successful import of Gmail mailboxes to Office 365, you need to establish a simplified communication channel using migration endpoints. Here’s how:
- Go to the Exchange admin center.
- In the Exchange Admin Center, navigate to Recipients > Migration and click on “Migration endpoints.”
- Click on New (+) and select IMAP on the new page.
- Enter the details on the IMAP migration configuration page, such as the IMAP server (imap.gmail.com) and default settings.
- Click Next. If the connection to Gmail is established successfully, the “Enter general information” page will open.
- Provide a name for the migration endpoint (e.g., Gmail to office 365 endpoint) and click New.
Step5: Migrate Mailboxes by Creating a Migration Batch
To migrate Gmail to Office 365, you need to create a migration batch containing the Gmail mailboxes. Follow these steps:
- In the Office 365 admin center, go to Admin Centers> Exchange.
- In the Exchange admin center, navigate to Recipients > Migration.
- Click on New (+) and select “Migrate to Exchange Online.”
- Choose IMAP migration and click Next.
- On the “Select the users” screen, browse and select the previously created CSV file for migration. Click Next.
- After validation, Office 365 will display the Gmail mailboxes. Click Next.
- On the “Set the migration endpoint” screen, select the migration endpoint created in the previous step and click Next.
- On the IMAP migration configuration window, use the default values and click Next.
- On the Move configuration page, provide a name for the migration batch (e.g., RegainTest-migration) and specify any folders to be excluded. Click Add (+) to add them to the excluded list.
- On the “Start the batch” page, configure the required options and start the migration.
Related Blog: How to Import OLM files into Office 365 Directly
Step6: Update DNS Records for Migrating Directly to Office 365
During the email migration process, your MX record, which directs email delivery, was pointing to your Gmail system. Now, you need to update the MX record to point to Office 365. Here’s how:
- Access the Admin Center and click on Settings in the left panel.
- Select Domains and choose your domain name, which should display “Setup in progress.”
- Another notification will indicate “Setup completed.”
- For example, if your domain name is example.com, click on the default example.com. This will display the “Setup your online services” screen with two options:
- “Add records for me”: This option automatically connects to your DNS domain (e.g., GoDaddy) and updates the MX records.
- “I’ll manage my own DNS records”: This option allows manual addition of DNS entries (MX record values) from your domain registrar.
- Select the second option and add the MX Records to your DNS. The MX record value will differ for each domain.
After the Migration, you can import your Google Contacts and Calendar into Office 365.
Manual Method: IMAP migration has some drawbacks:
- Emails can only be moved from the user’s mailbox. IMAP migration does not move Contacts, Calendar items, or tasks from Source (Gmail) to Office 365.
- Emails and folder structures move as they are.
- Users or admins must manually export their contacts and calendars from the source and then import them into Office 365.
- You can only move up to 500,000 items from a user’s mailbox to Office 365 from the source. Every time, the emails move from newest to oldest.
- The most significant email you can move is 35 MB in size.
Manual Migration is complicated. Is there any other way?
Several third-party vendors in the market offer automated tools to migrate Gmail into Office 365.
One that several, Microsoft MVPs and businesspersons recommend is Regain MBOX to Office 365 converter tool. Don’t get confused; you’ve to utilize the Google Takeout method and export all your Gmail emails in MBOX format and then use the Regain MBOX to Office 365 migration tool to export all files into Office 365.
The tool is laced with several advanced features and offers a convenient GUI so everyone, including novice users, can utilize the tool without any assistance or hassle.
I suggest you utilize the Regain MBOX to Office 365 migration tool’s free version and ask our professionals if you’ve any queries related to this task.
Office 365 is slowly replacing many email clients, and recently Gmail users are also seeking a way to migrate Gmail to Office 365 mailboxes. The most effortless and secure way for the same is by using Regain MBOX to Office 365 migration tool.