Updated On - December 5, 2022 by Armaan |Reading Time: 5 minutes
If you are struggling to find a way how to import your MBOX file into the Gmail account, then this article is best suitable for you to help.
MBOX is the file format that stores email client data. It is the mailbox storage file supported by more than 25 email clients like Mozilla Thunderbird,Google Takeout (*.mbox), Google Vault Files (*.mbox), Netscape, Eudora, Apple Mail/Mac Mail, Opera Mail, SeaMonkey, Mulberry, Entourage, Evolution, Becky! Internet Mail,Spicebird,Mailcopa,Kmail, Alpine, Postbox, ConeP, PowerMail, Berkeley Mail, Pocomail, Turnpike, Claws Mail, Horde Group Webmail, Sylpheed, Gnu, Mutt, The Bat, Chaos Intellect, EathLink, Incredimail, etc.
Gmail – An Introduction
Gmail is the most popular free email service by Google used worldwide having users in billions across the globe. It is one of the best example of cloud services as it offers free storage of data up to 15 GB. Gmail users can send and receive emails alongwith attachments, for more data storage users can store the data in Google drive and share the link over the email.It offers numerous features that makes users to use it over other email clients such as:
- Can be accessed from any device as long as there is an Internet connection.
- Ability to search the specific messages.
- Automatically organizes successively related messages into a conversational thread.
- Has spam-filtering capabilities to keep spam, phishing, malware out of Inbox. Spam messages are automatically sent to Spam folder and gets automatically deleted after 30 days.
- The Confidential mode delimits your recipients to forward, copy, print, download your email message. You can add an optional expiration time and set a passcode.
- Allows scheduling the email to be sent tomorrow morning, tomorrow afternoon or at desired date and time.
Need to import MBOX File into Gmail Account
Users are looking to import their MBOX files into Gmail account due to numerous reasons such as:
- On comparing Thunderbird and Gmail, then Gmail is much better against productivity factor.
- Gmail’s cloud facility makes Gmail’s data universally accessible anywhere and anytime with an internet connection.
Manual Steps to Import MBOX File to Gmail Account
You can import all your MBOX file mailbox items into Gmail account. To import MBOX file to Gmail account, perform the steps as discussed below:
- Log in to your Gmail account using your login credentials (username and password).
- Click on (Gear Icon) > click See all Settings.
- Click Accounts and Import tab > Click Import mail and contacts.
- The Import dialog box appears. Enter the Thunderbird email address below “What account do you want to import from”, click Continue.
- Enter your Thunderbird Mail password, click Continue.
- In Import options window, select what data you want to import among the below three options:
- Import mail
- Import contacts
- Import new mail for next 30 days
- Click Start import.
- Click OK when the import process is completed.
2nd Manual Method: Import MBOX to Gmail Using Thunderbird
In this manual method to import MBOX file into Gmail account using Thunderbird, configure your Gmail account in Thunderbird and then drag and drop emails from the Thunderbird account to the Gmail account. Perform the steps as discussed below:
- Launch Mozilla Thunderbird.
- Click the Thunderbird Menu button and select Account Settings.
- Click Account Actions > Add Mail Account.
- Enter the Gmail account password in which you want to import MBOX files.
- Select whether to configure as an IMAP account or as POP, click Done.
- Login to your Gmail account and allow the asked permissions.
- Click Finish, your Gmail account will be listed on Thunderbird.
- Select all the emails you want to import into your Gmail account.
- Make a right-click and go to the Move to option and choose the Thunderbird account.
Limitations of Manual Method to Import MBOX File into Gmail Account
Following are few of the limitations of manual method of importing MBOX file into Gmail account:
- Does not allow filtering unwanted items and hence transfers all unwanted emails in your Gmail account.
- A slow process and can even take up to 2 days to import a single Thunderbird account to Gmail.
- Doesn’t allow importing multiple Thunderbird accounts in a single process.
Professional Solution: Regain MBOX to Gmail Converter
Use professional third-party MBOX to PST Converter software to import your MBOX files to Gmail account. The software allows adding and converting multiple MBOX files into Gmail account. The software supports converting MBOX files to PST, EML, MSG, PDF, HTML, EMLX, and MHTML file formats. The tool supports migrating MBOX files into cloud servers like Office 365, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, Live Exchange Server, Amazon WorkMail, GoDaddy, etc.
Import MBOX files to Gmail – Salient Features
- Software displays preview of added MBOX files before migrating them to another file format.
- Maintains email properties, folder structure and hierarchy.
- Split PST File option to set a specific file size for resultant PST file.
- Search feature helps locating MBOX files in your system.
- Supports migrating multiple and large-sized MBOX files to Gmail account.
- Supports migrating MBOX files supported by more than 30 other email clients.
- Generates Live Log report for the entire MBOX to Gmail conversion.
- Offers a self-descriptive GUI for easy MBOX to Gmail conversion.
- Compatible with all available versions of MS Outlook.
- Available as a free demo version.
Just 5 Steps to Import MBOX files into Gmail account
- Download, install and launch MBOX to PST Converter software.
- Click Open and add MBOX files to convert into Gmail account.
- Select added MBOX files and then click Cloud Migration button.
- Select Gmail/G-Suite and enter credential of Gmail account to initiate the migration process.
- The software starts importing MBOX files to Gmail and simultaneously generates a Live Log report for the entire conversion process.
This article discusses the need for importing your MBOX file into Gmail account and the manual methods to import MBOX file into Gmail. Since manual method has some limitations, it is recommended to use a third-party MBOX to Gmail Converter software to transfer MBOX files to Gmail account. You can download the free demo version to check the capabilities, once satisfied purchase the full licensed version.