Updated On - November 10, 2023 by Henry Bray |Reading Time: 7 minutes
Seamless and efficient communication is the lifeblood of modern businesses, and Microsoft’s Office 365 suite has revolutionized how organizations collaborate and manage their workflows. One essential aspect of this ecosystem is Outlook Web Access (OWA). This web-based email client lets users access their emails, calendars, contacts, and tasks from anywhere. The process to import PST to Outlook Web Access (OWA) Office 365 can be a pivotal step for those migrating or transitioning their data to Office 365, particularly the Exchange Online environment.
This comprehensive guide will delve into the intricacies of importing PST to Outlook Web Access in Office 365. From understanding the reasons behind the migration to exploring the methods and best practices, we’ll empower you with the knowledge to seamlessly make this crucial transition, ensuring uninterrupted communication and collaboration within your organization.
What is PST and Outlook Web Access Office 365?
Personal Storage Table (PST)
PST stands for “Personal Storage Table.” Microsoft Outlook uses a file format to store various data types, including emails, calendar events, contacts, etc. PST files are typically used for archiving and backing up Outlook data. They allow users to create offline copies of their mailbox content, which can be useful for data management, recovery, and migrating data between different computers or email systems. However, PST files can also lead to issues like data corruption and can be challenging to manage in larger organizations due to their decentralized nature.
Outlook Web Access (OWA) in Office 365:
Outlook Web Access (OWA), also known as Outlook on the Web, is a web-based email client Microsoft provides as part of its Office 365 suite of productivity tools. It allows users to access their Microsoft Exchange-based email, calendar, contacts, tasks, and other features through a web browser. OWA provides a familiar interface resembling the desktop version of Microsoft Outlook, making it easy for users to manage their emails and other communication tasks even when not using the desktop application.
With the shift to Office 365, now called Microsoft 365, the web-based email client is often referred to as “Outlook on the Web” to align with the naming of the desktop application. It allows users to access their mailboxes and collaborate with colleagues from anywhere, using any device with a web browser and internet connection. Outlook on the Web in Office 365 offers features like email filtering, calendar scheduling, task management, and integration with other Microsoft 365 applications, all accessible through a web-based interface.
Why should you import PST to Outlook Web Access (Office 365)?
Importing PST files into Outlook Web Access (OWA) in Office 365 can be useful for various reasons, including migrating data from older systems, archiving data for compliance or storage purposes, or simply consolidating data from multiple sources into your Office 365 mailbox. Here are some common scenarios where importing PST files into OWA in Office 365 might be necessary:
- Migration from On-Premises Systems: If your organization is transitioning from an on-premises email system (such as Microsoft Exchange) to Office 365, you might need to migrate existing mailbox data, including PST files, to the cloud. Importing PST files into OWA can help you seamlessly move user data to Office 365 while maintaining access to historical emails and other items.
- Consolidation of Data: Over time, users may have accumulated PST files containing emails, contacts, and other data on their local machines. Consolidating this data into Office 365 through OWA ensures that important information is accessible from a centralized location, making it easier for users to search and manage their data.
- Backup and Recovery: Importing PST files into Office 365 via OWA can serve as a backup or recovery method. Storing important emails and data in the cloud protects against local hardware failures, ensuring that critical information is not lost.
- Archiving for Compliance: Many organizations have legal or regulatory requirements to retain email communications for a specific period. By importing PST files into Office 365, you can archive these emails in a centralized and easily searchable location, helping you meet compliance standards.
- Remote Access: Accessing emails and other data stored in PST files requires the local installation of Microsoft Outlook. Importing PST files into OWA removes this dependency, enabling users to access their data from any device with a web browser and internet connection.
How to import PST to Outlook Web Access Office 365?
To import PST files into Office 365 using OWA, organizations typically use tools and features provided by Microsoft, such as the “Network upload” feature within the Exchange Online admin center.
Import PST to Outlook Web Access (OWA) Manually using Network Upload Method
Here we use Network Upload Method to transfer data from PST to Office 365 OWA efficiently. Importing PST to Outlook Web Access (OWA) takes four steps.
Step 1: Upload PST to Azure AzCopy Tool
- Visit the link https://protection.office.com/ and log in to your Microsoft Account.
- After logging, move to ‘Security and Compliance Center’ and choose ‘Data Governance.’ After that, click on the ‘Import’ button.
- An ‘Import’ window will open; click on the ‘New Import Job.’
- Now, click on the show ‘Network Upload SAS URL’ and then copy that URL.
- After that, select the ‘Upload’ option and click on the Azure AzCopy Tool to download it.
- Start the Azure AzCopy tool to import PST files to OWA.
- Now, open Command Prompt and type to open PST file in Outlook Web application.
- AzCopy.exe//Source:<<Location of PST files>> //Dest:<<SAS URL>> //V:<<Log file location>> //Y
Step 2: Create PST Import Mapping File
When the PST file is uploaded to the Azure storage location, you must move it to Office 365. You must create a Comma Separated Value (CSV) file containing information about the user’s mailboxes and PST files. The CSV file will be used to create the import job.
Step 3: Create PST Import Job
- On the Import data page, check the box “I am done uploading my files” and “I have access to the mapping file,” Then, click the Next button.
- On the next page, Select a mapping file that you previously created in CSV format.
- Press the validate button to check for any errors. After confirmation, click the Save button and then click the Close button.
Step 4: Start the PST Import job for Outlook Web Access (OWA)
- Visit the Security & Compliance Center and click the Import PST file page.
- Click on the link Ready to import to Office 365.
- Now, “Filter your data” before importing.
- Filter the data accordingly and press the Next button.
- Now, click the Import data option to start importing your files.
- Soon, you will get your data in Outlook Web Access (OWA).
Remember that importing PST files requires planning and coordination, involving data mapping, user training, and potentially managing duplicate data. Additionally, the process might vary based on updates and changes made to Office 365 services.
We suggest using a third-party tool such as Regain PST to Office 365 migration tool for easy import.
Professional tool to import PST to Office 365
By using a third-party tool named Regain PST to Office 365 Software. Importing PST to Outlook Web Access (OWA) takes a few clicks. Office 365 is as follows:
- Download and install PST to Office 365 MigrationTool for Outlook Web Access(OWA).
- Start the software, click the “Add File” button, and choose single or multiple PST files.
- Now connect Office 365 as a destination by clicking the “Connect” button.
- Provide the Office 365 credentials to connect. Map source mailboxes with destination mailboxes in this step and click on “Set Filter and Migrate.”
- Choose the type of migration amongst Archive Mailbox, Mailbox and Public folder as the target mailbox. Click on Start Importing.
- PST Files have been successfully imported to the Office 365 account and can be accessed on Outlook Web Access(OWA).
Features of Regain PST to Office 365 Migration Tool
Use this multi-talented Regain PST to Office 365 Migration tool that helps users migrate from Outlook PST to Office 365 and Live Exchange Server quickly and securely without interruption. It does not require advanced technical knowledge to open Outlook mail data in an Outlook webmail application. Users can Import PST to Office 365 directly, which can then be accessed on Outlook Web Access (OWA).
- Migrates Outlook PST email to Office 365 and Live Exchange Server successfully.
- It helps save all Outlook Email items to Office 365, i.e., email messages, notes, drafts, calendars, events, etc., with ease and no hassle.
- Import PST files into Gmail, Apple Mail, Thunderbird, Yahoo Mail, Amazon Workmail and many more
- Provides preview facilities to view the selected PST files before the actual migration
- Performs selective conversion of Outlook PST file to save time and effort for the user
- Offers bulk export Outlook PST files to Office 365 or Live Exchange Server
- Self-intuitive and easy-to-use GUI for easy migration without any expertise
It helps users upload or migrate Outlook emails to Office 365 & Live Exchange Accounts without Outlook Installation.
In modern business communication, the synergy between Microsoft’s Office 365 suite and Outlook Web Access (OWA) has transformed how organizations collaborate and manage workflows. This guide has delved into the critical process of importing PST files into Outlook Web Access in Office 365, ensuring a seamless transition to a more versatile and accessible communication platform.
Importing PST files to Outlook Web Access in Office 365 is more than just a technical task – it’s a strategic move toward improved communication, collaboration, and data management. With the right tools and knowledge, organizations can smoothly navigate this transition and harness the full potential of Office 365’s Outlook Web Access for an enhanced digital workplace experience.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. I am not a techie; will you provide technical assistance with my task if needed?
A. Yes. We provide 24*7 technical assistance to our customers with our software. You can contact our technical support team via live chat, by writing to email@example.com or by telephone at our support number on the contact us page.
Q. My organization has numerous PST files that are too large; is this utility suitable for us?
A. Yes, this utility is the best suitable for you. There is no restriction on the size and number of PST files. Many organizations have already used our tool to import PST to Outlook Web Access and are fully satisfied.
Q. I want to check this utility developed by Regain Software before purchasing. Is this possible?
A. Yes! It is possible. We are confident in our tool’s quality; hence we recommend downloading the free trial version before purchasing. Using the demo version, you can easily check and get satisfied.
Q. Is this tool capable of migrating attachments along with emails?
A. Using Regain PST to Office 365 Migration tool, you can easily migrate tasks, attachments, notes, contacts and calendars. Hence, this tool can fully migrate attachments along with emails.