Updated On - October 24, 2023 by Henry Bray |Reading Time: 5 minutes
Nowadays, email communication is a vital need for both individuals and organizations. For this purpose, there is no insufficiency of email clients. Various email platforms have different benefits. Users frequently switch from one platform to another until they find one that matches their specific needs. Here in this blog, we explain How to Import Windows Live Mail (EML) files to Thunderbird. Now Let’s Start.
Windows Live Mail (WLM) and Mozilla Thunderbird are two of the most effective email clients. However, as of January 10, 2017, Microsoft has discontinued the service for WLM. However, countless users are still using it and continuously encounter difficulties since Microsoft does not provide updates or technical assistance for it.
On the other hand, Thunderbird just received an update and is advancing, and many Windows Live Mail users are now looking for a means to integrate Windows Live Mail into Thunderbird and switch to it as their email program.
However, if you have backup files or those exported from Windows Live Mail in EML format, you may be asking how to import EML files into Thunderbird. In this article, we will talk about the most effective methods for performing the importing process.
Related Post: How to Backup or Save Thunderbird Emails
Suitable Approaches for Importing Windows Live Mail EML Files Into Thunderbird
There are both manual and third-party solutions. As usual, the manual solutions are totally free of charge, but not the third-party software. Read the importing methods as follows and decide what suits you.
1st Method: Using the Import/Export option
For this method, you will need to add an add-in named “ImportExport” to Thunderbird. Besides, if you are using Thunderbird 78 or the oldest versions, then this process is not for you. Try to use the latest version of Thunderbird to go through this process.
- First and foremost, you must install the free “ImportExport” tool add-on in your Thunderbird, save “import-export tools.xpi”.
- Now go to Setting tab in Thunderbird and Click Install Add-on from File.
- Then, navigate to the folder on your PC where the import-export tools.xpi file is located. Lastly, hit the Open after selecting the import-export tools.xpi file.
- Now the Add-on is successfully added in the Thuderbird email client.
- Then, restart Thunderbird by clicking the “Restart Now” option.
Step 2: Now Import EML files into Thunderbird
- Next, in Thunderbird, make a new folder for it by right-clicking on Local Files and selecting the New Folder button.
- Create a new folder with the specified name and click the “Create Folder” button.
- Click the right button of your mouse over the recently created folder and choose Properties >> Choose Import/Export Tools >>Choose “Import all messages from a directory“, and then choose its subdirectories.
- Specify the default directories in your system that hold EML files. Then, press the “OK” option.
- In this way, two subfolders are imported into the test folder. You may also check the total number of EML files that have been imported.
- To view all the imported EML files in Thunderbird, go to the folder.
Related Post: Import Eudora Mail to Mozilla Thunderbird
2nd Method: Import EML to Mozilla Thunderbird by just dragging and dropping.
This technique is a lot simpler than the above one. The procedure for carrying out this strategy is outlined below.
- To begin, make a new folder in Thunderbird.
- Second, navigate to the directory in which your EML files are kept.
- Next, drag and drop the EML files into Thunderbird directories.
- That’s all. All of your EML files will now be exported to Thunderbird.
In this way, you have imported your EML files into Thunderbird. Isn’t it so easy? Importing Windows Live Mail to Thunderbird, on the other hand, is a useful alternative. However, there is no mechanism to detect and exclude junk emails.
Aside from that, the drag and drop technique is restricted, and users may only import a certain number of EML files using it. If you have a large number of EML files to import, do so in tiny batches or utilize a professional EML conversion program.
Are you thinking of switching from Windows Live Mail to Outlook?
Outlook and Windows Live Mail are both email platforms by Microsoft. But as we all know, Microsoft has discontinued support for WLM, and that’s why many users feel the necessity to switch to Outlook because of its benefits.
However, if you have any important emails in Windows Live Mail and you need to import them into Outlook, it’s natural that you will worry about your data. But while using professional software like the Regain EML Converter software, you can keep yourself fearless of any kind of data loss. This tool support many email format to save EML files to other format. It is available with free trial version.
Are you wondering how it works? Let’s see the steps.
Before starting, you must appropriately download and install the software on your device. The installation procedure is much like the previous ones. After running the software,
- Press the “Browse” option to choose the EML files you wish to convert.
- Then you will get a preview of all the scanned EML files, and then just hit the “Save” option to proceed to the next stage.
- Choose the file type you want, which includes PST, EML, MSG or HTML etc. and afterwards hit the “Save” option.
- Your files will then be stored on your system after the conversion process is completed.
In this blog, we explain two manual methods to import Windows Live Mail into Thunderbird and another one is a professional Automated tool. Both manual methods have some limitations and also a risk of data loss. Minor mistakes can lead to data loss. Now it is up to you which you prefer. Manual steps require some technical skills while the professional tool will do the same thing in just a few clicks without losing any data. I suggest, If your data is important then do not take any chances. Use the professional application at a genuine price. It is worth saving your important data.