Updated On - December 2, 2023 by Prakriti Malsuni |Reading Time: 5 minutes
Outlook offers a lot to users, and Cached Exchange Mode is one of the main features users use. But, it does not mean that it is only advantageous for end users; sometimes, this feature is a demerit for users. Turning Cached Exchange Mode allows users to work offline, too, as it creates an OST file that stores a copy of the Exchange Server mailboxes in a local system. If you have turned on Exchange Cached Mode, you can access the mailbox data even if the internet is disconnected. Read this blog till the end and know all about Cached Exchange Mode in Outlook.
How Does Cached Exchange Mode in Outlook Affect Your Working?
- Enabling Exchange Mode creates a copy of the Exchange mailbox in OST file format and allows users to access it in a speedy as it is a cache file available in your system.
- Having a copy in the system synchronized with Outlook improves Outlook’s performance.
- Cached Exchange mode reduces the load from the server as it reduces the requests to the server.
Disadvantages of Turning on Cached Exchange Mode:
- Storage Issue: Enabling cached Exchange mode creates issues as it increases disk spaces. Storing a copy of the Exchange mailbox in a local system with an Outlook synchronized system adversely affects the system’s performance.
- Corruption Issue with OST: In many scenarios, oversized OST files become inaccessible as they get corrupted due to oversize.
- Adversely Affects the Performance: It can adversely affect the performance when cached OST files get synchronized with the large mailboxes after an internet connection is re-established.
- Limited Functions: While working with the enabled cached Exchange mode, you will not get all the features. You will not get public folder access, calendaring entry sharing, and other online facilities.
How to Turn Off Cached Exchange Mode in Outlook?
Follow the below-given steps to check and turn off Cached Exchange Mode in Outlook.
- Open the Outlook.
- Click on the File >> Account Settings >> Account Settings…
- Now, in the Account Settings page, make the selection for the email account for which you want to check the cached mode. Click on the Change.
- Here, in the Change Account dialog box, make a click on the “More Settings”.
- Now, you will get the “Microsoft Exchange” dialog box where you can see the “Cached Exchange Mode Settings”.
- Here, you can simply turn off the Cached Exchange Mode in Outlook and Disable Offline use.
Is There Any Better Way?
If you want to have better accessibility to your mailbox but don’t want the demerits of enabling “Cached Exchange Mode”, then converting the OST file to PST file format is a wise decision. By converting OST to PST file format, you will get the following advantages:
- You can save the PST file format on any storage device, hard drive, and other.
- PST file can be added to any Outlook email account and viewed.
- PST files provide better portability as you can easily port PST files to any other platform without any restriction.
- Microsoft has recommended an upper size limit of 50 GB, hence a good option to store email data.
- Users also get password protection as the PST file provides an option to apply the password to make it secure.
So, How to Convert OST to PST in a Flawless Manner?
To convert OST to PST, Regain Software has developed an advanced tool called Regain OST Converter. It offers a lot to users; some of the highlighted ones are:
- You can add multiple OST files to convert them into the PST file format.
- Along with converting into PST, you also get the option to save into the MSG, MBOX, EML, HTML et cetera file format.
- The tool properly maintains the originality of the data. Regain OST to PST Converter properly maintains the folder hierarchy and meta properties.
- Users can also set the size for the resultant PST file format if they have an OST file of large size.
- This utility is compatible with all the versions of the Windows OS.
- It is also capable of migrating OST to Office 365 and Live Exchange.
- A free demo version of the software is also available; you must try and get satisfied.
- Users also get free technical support with the Regain OST to PST Converter utility. Users can easily contact support executives who are round-the-clock available to assist you.
Simple Steps to Convert OST to PST:
- Install and launch the Regain OST Converter Tool.
- Now click on the Add Outlook Files button and add the OST files that you want to convert.
- Here, you can have a preview of the added OST files. Now click on the Export.
- Make a selection for the file type in which you want to save the data. For now, we will select the PST file type. Also, you can set the size for the resultant PST file by using the Split PST option.
- Click on Convert Now and OST to PST Conversion will start. Sooner, you will get the message that the process has been completed.
Cached Exchange Mode in Outlook has advantages as well as disadvantages depending on the needs of the user. By turning off the Cached Exchange Mode in Outlook, users can improve the performance of Outlook as well as free up the disc space. By converting OST to PST file format, you can save the Exchange mailbox data in PST file format as well as get better accessibility. To convert OST to PST file format, Regain OST to PST Converter is a one-stop solution. Must download and try it for free!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. How will turning off Cached Mode in Exchange help users?
Ans. You can free space disc space by disabling the cached Exchange Mode in Outlook. The creation of an OST file in the system degrades system performance as it consumes a lot of system space in storing a copy of Exchange mailboxes.
Q2. I have OST files of large size; will the resultant PST be of the large size, or is there any other way to control the size?
Ans. There is an option to split PST file, using which you can set the size for the resultant PST file. The tool will automatically split the PST file on reaching the size set for splitting.
Q3. Can I open the PST file with any Outlook account?
Ans. Yes, you can open and access the PST file data by adding the PST file to any Outlook account. It gives easy access to users who have stored email data in PST if turned off Cached Exchange mode in Outlook.