Updated On - October 7, 2022 by Nasir Khan |Reading Time: 5 minutes
Using Exchange Admin Center (EAC) to create an Exchange Archive Mailbox Export Request
Perform the below steps to create an Exchange Archive Mailbox export request using Exchange Admin Center (EAC):
- login to Exchange Admin Center (EAC).
- Navigate to Recipients > Mailboxes > click … (More options), then select Export to a PST file.
- The Export to a .pst file window appears. Click Browse to select the source mailbox whose contents you want to export. Select any of the below options:
- Export only the contents of this mailbox
- Export only the contents of this mailbox’s archive
4. In the screen that appears, specify the path to export the .pst file to and the filename of the target .pst file. Click Next.
5. In the screen that appears, perform the below settings:
- Leave the Send email to the mailbox below when the .pst file has been exported checkbox selected.
- Click Browse to add or remove notification recipients.
- Clear the Send email to the mailbox below when the .pst file has been exported checkbox.
Using in-built feature within the Outlook
The in-built feature within Outlook allows creating a PST file for the selected folder.
Steps to export Exchange archive mailbox to PST:
- Open Microsoft Outlook.
- Navigate to File > Open & Export > Import/Export.
- The Import and Export Wizard appears. For Choose an action to perform, select Export to a file and click Next.
- The Export to a File wizard appears. For Create a file of type, select Outlook Data File (.pst) and click Next.
- The Export Outlook Data File wizard appears. Select the archive mailbox folder to export from. Leave Include subfolders checkbox selected if you want to include the subfolders to export as well.
Click the Filter button to select the data as per your specific needs.
6. In the Export Outlook Data File wizard, for Save exported file as, it will have a default location and name of the PST file. Click Browse to change the location and name of the PST file. For the available options for managing duplicate items, you can select any one of them:
- Replace duplicates with items exported
- Allow duplicate items to be created
- Do not export duplicate items
Click the Finish button.
Use the following command to use Powershell for exporting the Exchange Archive Mailbox to PST file.
New-MailboxExportRequest -Mailbox “Administrator” -FilePath “\\Exchange\PSTExport\Archive.pst” –IsArchive
- IsArchive switch starts export accordingly.
- Allows including some search criteria such as include folder, exclude a folder, date larger than, date lower than, and date range.
- Allows including folders. To include the folders, use the syntax as:
New-MailboxExportRequest -Mailbox “Administrator” -FilePath “\\Exchange\PSTExport\Archive.pst” -IsArchive -IncludeFolders “#Inbox#”, “#Outbox#
Note: The limitation with PowerShell commands is that it do not export disconnected mailbox to Outlook PST file.
Third-party Exchange Backup and Restore Software
Use third-party Regain Exchange Server Backup software to export Exchange Archive mailbox to MS Outlook .PST file. The third-party software is the best solution for secure backup of primary mailboxes, archive mailboxes, and public folders to MS Outlook PST files. The utility offers a self-descriptive graphical interface for easy Exchange backup, no technical skills required to perform the backup, and saves time and effort.
Features of Exchange Server Backup Software:
- Exports/migrates offline and online Exchange EDB mailbox to Outlook PST file.
- Converts Exchange Public and Private folders to Office 365 or MS Outlook PST file format
- Migrates Exchange Server mailbox data from one Server to another Server
- Restores corrupt or deleted Exchange Server mailbox.
- Recovers accidentally lost or deleted offline EDB mailboxes.
- No file size limit for migrating Exchange EDB mailbox to Outlook PST file
- Allows saving converted emails into PST, EML, EMLX, MSG, MBOX, PDF, VCF, HTML and MHTML file formats.
- Displays preview of mailboxes before conversion.
- Maintains integrity, hierarchy and original formatting of Exchange mailbox data.
- Inbuilt split feature allows saving large EDB file into multiple small Outlook PST files.
- Compatible with all versions of MS Outlook and Exchange Server.
- Available as free to download trial version.
Steps for Exchange Mailbox Migration to Outlook PST File using Exchange Backup Software:
- Open the Exchange Server Backup software.
- Click Browse and select the Exchange Database EDB file for conversion.
- Select Exchange version of EDB file. Click Next.
- Check the preview of all scanned EDB files.
- Select destination location and the target file format for saving.
- Click Start Export for saving files.
Compatibility Matrix for Exchange Server Backup Software
- Windows OS Platforms: Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista
- Windows Server: 2012, 2008 R2, 2008, 2003 R2, 2003
- MS Outlook: 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and 2003
- Exchange Server : 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, 2000, 5.5 and 5.0
This article discusses methods to export Exchange Archive mailboxes to MS Outlook PST file. Also, in the end of the article, we recommend users to use third-party solution for accurate conversion of Exchange mailbox EDB to Outlook PST files. It is also help you to recover corrupt EDB file in just few clicks. Download third-party Exchange Backup Software for free, give it a try and check the features it offers. The only limitation free trial version has that it saves only 30 items per folder.