Updated On - May 10, 2022 by Henry Bray |Reading Time: 5 minutes
Are you using Outlook.com for email communication and want to export your emails onto an external USB flash drive? It’s a good idea to back up your valuable emails.
Despite the fact that desktop-based email apps are quite widespread nowadays, certain people continue to utilize web-based email platforms. Outlook.com is indeed a very prevalent web-based email platform among users. In concept, it is overall similar to Google’s Gmail service.
In this post, we will discuss the complete guide to exporting emails from Outlook.com to a USB drive and a few related topics that you must know. Let’s get started!
Are Outlook.com and Outlook Online the same?
A majority of users believe that Outlook.com and Outlook Online are similar platforms. Basically, those individuals are incorrect. Actually, Outlook.com is an updated edition of Windows Live Hotmail (WLH), a Microsoft-discontinued email program.
Related Post: How to Export Outlook.com Contacts to iCloud?
Former users of Hotmail may simply sign/log in to Outlook.com by entering their previous email address, such as firstname.lastname@example.org. However, users are no longer able to establish new email accounts using that domain extension. Users can just create email addresses using the @outlook.com domain. However, the good news is that Outlook.com officially accepts email addresses with both domains.
Here’s a step-by-step guide for exporting emails from Outlook.com to a USB device
If your scenario is to export emails without having a professional solution, we think using the desktop application of Outlook is the best way.
You may use a desktop-based email client, including Microsoft Outlook, to backup all of your emails and text messages from Outlook.com. If your computer previously had Outlook installed by default, you may use the Outlook program to set up your Outlook.com email account.
Then maybe you can simply export your email messages, contacts, schedule of events, and other information to a data file of Outlook with ease (PST). When your Outlook.com email account has been properly set up with Microsoft Outlook, you may export all of your emails, text messages, and other information to a .PST formatted file. The PST file may then be saved to a USB stick or other storage medium.
If you don’t know how to export all your emails with the MS Outlook desktop-based client, we’ve included a step-by-step guide below just for you. So, without further ado, let’s begin the approach.
Manual Ways to Export Outlook Emails to USB Flash Drive
1. Firstly, launch MS Outlook at the start of the steps.
2. Then, at the top right corner, click on the “File” tab. In the “info” taskbar, you will find the “Account Information” widget. From there, Press the “Add Account” button to add a new email account in Outlook.
3. On your display, a new dialog box called “Add New Account” will open. Here it is required to enter your name, e-mail address, password, and confirm password, and then press “next” to begin the setup process.
4. The configuration is being carried out. Microsoft Outlook is completing the account setup for you. This might take some time. Click the “Finish” button once you see the setup completed message.
5. In MS Outlook, you will then see all of your Outlook.com email messages and inbox directories. Quit Microsoft Outlook and afterwards plug the USB drive, or even other USB data storage devices, into your computer’s USB port.
Relaunch Microsoft Outlook
6. Go to the “File” tab and on the taskbar, select “Open & Export” > “Import/Export“.
7. You must select an action to execute in the Import and Export Wizard. Because you wish to keep a backup of your mailbox info or data, select ‘Export to a file’ and then click Next to proceed.
8. Whenever the ‘Export to a File’ wizard appears, select “Outlook Data File (.PST)” in the dialog box and click Next to begin the procedure.
9. Select the mailbox folder to export from in the Export Outlook Data File dialog box. You have the option of selecting any particular mailbox folders or the whole Outlook data file. By selecting the Include subfolders option, you may additionally include the subfolders.
10. Afterwards, Press the “Browse” option and navigate to the USB device where you wish to store your PST files. The PST file’s name can be changed (if necessary). To agree, click OK.
11. The route you’ve chosen will be displayed in the “edit” box beside the “Browse” icon. Next, pick the choices for dealing with repeated objects. Finally, Press the Finish button to begin the procedure.
12. The PST file backup will be made and stored on the USB disk in a couple of moments.
13. Lastly, you can eject the USB drive or pendrive and use it whenever you need it.
Is there a professional solution?
Absolutely. We can realize that you feel very bored with the huge and long manual steps. The above manual guide is really effective, but it takes more technical knowledge and time. If your emails are too many, then it will take hours to complete the whole export.
However, as a professional solution, we recommend the Regain Hotmail Backup Tool. It is trusted software and has the ability to smoothly backup Outlook.com or Hotmail emails without the worry of data loss.
It doesn’t require any technical expertise. Besides, this recommendation is more effective, time-saving, and reliable than the manual solution.