Published On - January 5, 2024 by Armaan |Reading Time: 6 minutes
Are you seeking to optimize the email management process, free up storage space, or understand Thunderbird’s archiving capabilities? If yes, explore this blog that provides 3 efficient ways to organize and store emails to keep the Inbox and other folders clean. Alternatively, we introduce the Regain Thunderbird to Outlook Converter tool that allows you to back up the Thunderbird mailbox to your system. It is a safe, effective, and reliable solution to free up your server space.
Brief Overview of Thunderbird Email Archiving
Mozilla Thunderbird is widely used as an email client to manage emails, contacts and calendars. This popular email client offers several advanced features to organize and streamline your email management process. Archive Thunderbird Emails is one of its functionalities that offers to relocate messages from their current folder to a separate archive folder. It has several advantages besides cleaning up mail folders for better management of your emails.
Advantages of Thunderbird Archive Emails Locally
- It helps reduce the server space of old emails if you delete them from Thunderbird after archiving.
- You can access the old emails from your system without opening the Thunderbird application.
- It also reduces the message loading time in Thunderbird.
- Archiving Thunderbird emails locally can protect your data from online cyber-attacks.
Thunderbird users also utilize this feature to back up Thunderbird mailbox to their system. However, it is not recommended because archiving and backup are two different processes. You can use the Thunderbird Backup Tool to export or migrate mailbox data without affecting data integrity.
How to Archive Thunderbird Emails Successfully?
Archiving your Thunderbird emails facilitates a well-organized inbox and securing crucial information for future reference. This section will help you to explore 3 effective methods to archive Thunderbird emails.
- Thunderbird archives emails locally using the profile directory
- Thunderbird IMAP archive to local folder – From IMAP configured account
- Direct archive Thunderbird emails.
Method 1: Thunderbird Archive Emails locally Using The Profile Directory
This method allows you to archive Thunderbird emails from the profile directory without using the application. Follow the below steps for successfully archiving emails locally on your computer.
- Close Thunderbird and navigate to your profile directory from the location: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles
- Now, find and open the Mail folder in your profile directory.
- Select the folder which you want to archive from the Local Folders. Remember not to choose the folder with an extension, such as choose Inbox but not Inbox.msf.
- After that, drag and drop that folder to your desired location.
- At last, open the Thunderbird application and Delete the folder you have archived.
Method 2: Thunderbird IMAP Archive to Local Folder – From IMAP Configured Account
Sometimes, it requires you to archive Thunderbird emails from an IMAP-configured account. In this case, you can perform the following steps to accomplish this task.
- Open the Thunderbird application and right-click on the Local Folders option. Here, select New Folder to create an archive folder.
- Assign a name to this folder and click on the Create Folder.
- Now, you can see the new folder under the Local Folders section.
- At last, select and right-click on the email. Go to Move to >> Local Folders, then click on the created Archive folder.
After implementing the above steps, you can view your moved emails in the created Archive folders under the Local Folders section. It also provides an option to export messages in EML or MBOX format. It will help you when you want to export Thunderbird emails to Outlook PST format.
Method 3: Direct Archive Thunderbird Emails
It is a direct way to archive Thunderbird emails. However, to reflect these archive mails in the Archive folder, first enable the option to “Archives” Folder on your email account or Local Folders. For this,
- Click on the Tool menu from the Top bar. Select Account Settings.
- In this window, click on the Copies & Folders.
- Navigate to the Message Archives and check the Keep Message Archives In option. Also, enable the “Archives” Folder On option by selecting the preferred location.
- After that, right-click on the email you want to archive and select the option Archive. You can also choose multiple emails to archive at once.
Also read: Export MBOX Files to Mozilla Thunderbird
Advanced Solution to Backup Thunderbird Emails
Archiving emails in Thunderbird doesn’t serve the purpose of backing up your Thunderbird emails. For this, you should always consider a reliable and secure approach. In this regard, Regain Thunderbird to Outlook Converter is one of the best and most advanced tools available online. This software is designed and developed with several extensive features that help you to back up and migrate Thunderbird emails effectively.
Why Choose The Regain Thunderbird to Outlook Converter?
Before choosing any converter tool, it is essential to know its features to ensure that it fulfills your requirements. It offers the following features that help to ensure high data integrity during the conversion process.
- This software is beneficial to move Thunderbird to a new computer.
- Using this tool, you can directly migrate Thunderbird mailbox to various cloud servers, including Office 365, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, GoDaddy, etc.
- You can also convert MBOX files to PST, EMLX, PDF, HTML, EML, and other formats.
- Split resultant PST file is one of its most prominent features while exporting Thunderbird emails to Outlook PST.
- Additionally, you can opt for its free trial version, which allows you to analyze and experience its advanced functionalities.
We know that the ImportExportTools NG add-on is a powerful feature in Thunderbird. However, various instances occur where users ask how to fix the Thunderbird ImportExportTools NG not working issue. In this case, Regain Thunderbird to Outlook Converter is an effective tool for exporting mailbox data.
In conclusion, choosing the right approach to archive Thunderbird emails is essential to maintain data integrity. Hopefully, this article help you in selecting the best method that fulfills your requirements. Additionally, we have provided an advanced utility that is a secure and reliable solution to back up your Thunderbird emails. So, why wait? Download its free demo version and experience its extensive features to back up your mailbox data.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ques 1. Does archiving emails save space Thunderbird?
Ans. Archiving Thunderbird emails helps you keep your inbox and other folders clean. It saves in your account’s mailbox or on the Local Folders. However, using a local folder for archiving can prevent you from reaching your mail server’s quota limit.
Ques 2. How do I backup my Thunderbird emails and folders?
Ans. Thunderbird Backup Tool is recommended to back up your Thunderbird emails and folders effectively. This software approach ensures high data integrity by maintaining the original folder hierarchy. Also, it offers several extensive features that make the process easier and more effective.
Ques 3. What is the purpose of local folders in Thunderbird?
Ans. Using Thunderbird’s local folders, you can keep files and emails locally on your PC rather than on a remote mail server. Local Folders can also help to archive old emails that you want to keep but don’t necessarily need to store on the mail server.