How to Save or Backup Outlook Emails
Updated On - January 21, 2023 by Henry Bray |Reading Time: 5 minutes
Nowadays, starting from individuals to organizations, everyone highly relies on email communication. It is true that it has made our lives faster, but at the same time, it creates lots of difficulty if somehow emails are lost and there is no backup. In this blog, we explain how to save or backup Outlook emails to your system.
Basically, the majority of email clients store the email data in the cloud because it is accessible from everywhere in the world. Outlook also does the same. Often, users mistakenly delete valuable emails and seek solutions online. However, did you know a simple backup can keep you stress-free in such situations?
This article is going to provide a clear concept of how to backup Outlook emails and the necessity of keeping a backup.
Do you realize how big of a mistake it was to skip the Outlook email backup?
In summary, Outlook data backups are vital due to unexpected situations such as data corruption, unknowingly erasing Outlook email messages, device malfunctioning, hardware failures, suspicious application installation, and so forth.
Your Outlook data will indeed be harmed as a result of the unfavorable situations. and causes issues at both the organizational and individual levels. We think that now you can realize the importance of a backup.
We all know that MS Outlook is a particular email client that includes a schedule, activity and connection supervisor, a browser, and other features. All email messages, sensitive data, contracts, invoices, and other classified material can be communicated and safely stored via the system.
Related Blog: How to Backup Yahoo Emails to PC?
However, fatal crashes do occur, so having a backup will save you from being in a bad situation. And basically, that’s the reason for that we have talked on the topic of keeping an Outlook email backup.
Four Simple Manual Methods to Backup Your Outlook Emails
Generally, exporting emails into a PST file is the most common backup method. But we will discuss some more methods too. Stay with us on this post and keep reading.
1st Method: Drag and drop Outlook emails into your computer’s File Explorer
Outlook saves and organizes emails and text messages, contact details, media files, and much more, almost like a storage room with directories that organize files. The stages for dropping and dragging emails to Windows Explorer directories are listed below.
- Pick the files that you need to move by left-clicking the mouse and holding it down over the objects to be moved.
- After choosing the objects to be moved, you can then either left-click on the objects and hold them down, or drag the objects to the directory in which they are intended to be stored, and afterwards start releasing the mouse by attempting to remove your arm from the mouse you were pressing down. Alternatively, click the right button over the objects to appear a contextual list of options from which you can choose to move them. Afterwards, copy it and paste it into the specified directory.
2nd Method: Use Gmail to keep a backup of your Outlook emails
Are you wondering if it is really possible or not? Actually, it’s possible and needs a little effort. Find the steps as follows:
- Open the Gmail email client in your browser. It is basically a webmail service.
- Press the settings icon in the up-right corner, then select the ‘Forwarding and POP/IMAP’ tab, activate the “Enable IMAP” option, and then press the “save changes” button.
- Launch the Microsoft Office application. When you press on the Tools tab in the taskbar, a drop-down menu appears, from which you can choose Import and Export.
- After that, select Import from yet another document. A pop-up window appears; select Personal Folder File (.pst), then click “Next.” Then choose a location, rename it, and click Finish. That;s it.
3rd Method: Use Microsoft Excel to keep a backup of your Outlook emails
Exporting email messages from Outlook to MS Excel spreadsheets is a simple process. Take into account that you will only use text files and simplified links. All other data will be lost. Storing as HTML documents is a great alternative if you ever want to retrieve the layout in the end. The procedures for exporting Outlook emails to Microsoft Office Excel are as follows.
- Start your MS Outlook, and after that, click the “File” tab in the taskbar. Navigate to the “Open and Export” section.
- Tap “Import or Export,” then click “Export to a file” in the Open and Export Choice.
- Change the file format to ‘Microsoft Excel (Comma Separated Value)’.
- Pick a destination for the backup, give it a title, and then click “Finish.”
4th Method: Export emails in PST format and keep a backup
When you prefer to backup the email directories natively, you may initially export the objects to a.pst file, which you can replenish and then use subsequently by converting or importing.
- Start Outlook and go forward to the “File” tab. Then, under the “Open & Export” selection, press the “Import/Export” button.
- Then choose the “Export to a file” choice and press “next.”
- Whenever the new wizard comes, choose the “Outlook Data File (PST)” choice and again press “next.”
- Thereafter, pick the mail directory you would like to backup.
- Pick a suitable location for your backup file as well as a title for it, then click “Finish“.
- Input and confirm a passcode, then click OK to make sure that no one else has significant exposure to your documents.
However, if you find yourself in need of importing these .PST typed files into a different email client that doesn’t support the PST format, you have the option to use the Regain Outlook PST Converter software to easily convert your PST formatted files into a number of formats like MSG, EMLX, EML and others.
One thought on “How to Save or Backup Outlook Emails”
Your instructions give very helpful information on how to save and backup Outlook emails. I think it is especially useful for people who are using Outlook for the first time or need a refresher on the basics.