Last Updated on January 5, 2021 by admin
There are several reasons you might want to keep your Yahoo mail backed up – you might want to migrate all of your Yahoo data to another platform or email client, or you might like the functionality of any another email client more as compare to Yahoo Mail. In September 2014, Yahoo announced that nearly 500 million Yahoo email accounts had been compromised. That same year, Yahoo announced again that this time around another hack hit nearly 1 billion accounts. In a situation like this, user needs to backup their Yahoo email messages to disk / flash drive. There could be different reasons for different users to back up their data. Additionally, Yahoo doesn’t even provide top-notch security to its users, so it’s better to keep a copy on a local computer.
Ways to Backup Yahoo Mail to PC
Now we’re going to discuss the easiest ways to export your Yahoo email. To do this, you need to download the Yahoo mail to the local folder on your PC. Yahoo offers an IMAP access option that allows you to access your Yahoo email from a third-party application. Two main methods are detailed below:
Export Using Microsoft Outlook
Yahoo Mail Backup Software
Method #1: Export Using Microsoft Outlook
Before adding Yahoo email account to your Outlook desktop client, you need to prepare the Yahoo account.
Prepare your Yahoo Account: Generate App Password for a Third-Party App
- In Yahoo Mail, click your account picture, then click Account Information.
- Next, choose Account Security from the left pane. Then scroll down and select Manage app
- Now a new window will open. Next, select Outlook desktop and click Generate.
- This will generate an app password that will be used later when adding a Yahoo email account to the Outlook desktop client.Copy the password and click Done.
Configure Yahoo Mail in Outlook 2019/2016/Office 365
- Open Outlook on your system, move to the File tab and click Add Account button.
- After that enter your Yahoo email account and click the Connect
- In the password section, enter the previously generated app password and click
- Once you enter the password, click Done.
- Open the Outlook desktop client. Yahoo Mail should then be configured successfully in Outlook.
Export the Yahoo mail Data to your PC
- Now first you move to File >> Open & Export >> Import & Export.
- In the Import and Export Wizard, select the second option Export to a file and press the Next button.
- Here, you need to select Outlook Data File(.pst) option and then click Next.
- Next a window will open, select the folders to export from and hit Next.
- Browse to the location where you want to save the exported file, or use the default location (copy the file path for later use) and enter finish.
- Paste the previously copied file path into File Explorer.You can view the newly exported Yahoo Mail data file in PST format.
Limitations of the manual method
- Manual process ask to configure Yahoo account in Outlook
- The process is complex and time consuming
- Through this method, only single mailbox can be backed up at once
- Not suitable for beginners with lack of technical knowledge
- It involves huge chances of manual errors
- There may be a possibility of incomplete data backup /loss of data integrity
- It offers you limited number of saving formats.
Method #2: Regain Yahoo Mail Backup Software
The method that we explained you above to backup Yahoo Mail to PC is free, but quite tedious and time-consuming. Hence, it is good for you to use a third-party tool to save time. One such competent tool is the Regain Yahoo Mail Backup Software. This tool can back up mailboxes with one or more servers. You can backup Yahoo Mailbox in PST, EML, MSG, EMLX, MBOX formats. It also supports Live Exchange Server and Office 365 accounts. It offers several options like folder selection, date range filter, exclude a folder, etc. that can be used to selectively back up mailbox data. The tool is completely secure and treats your data with integrity.