Last Updated on December 14, 2020 by admin
Office 365 is cloud based software offered by Microsoft as a service product for business environment like Exchange Online, SharePoint Online, and Skype for business etc. The Office 365 service comes up with number of products and services. All Office 365 components can be managed and configured via an online portal. The question here is whether Office 365 is providing number of user oriented services, why we need backup of Office 365 and how Office 365 backups are created. What’s the best Office 365 backup solution?
Office 365 does not provide data backup to the local hard drive and there are several reasons that lead users to backup Office 365 mailboxes to PST. The PST file is best for backing up Office 365 mailboxes because it can be opened and previewed in any version of Outlook. Let us know everything fully.
Why to Backup Office 365 Mailboxes?
- An Office 365 backup is typically performed to reduce the mailbox size. You can easily save the archive mailbox on the local hard drive and work as needed.
- As a cloud-based service, the Office 365 mailbox data remains accessible globally and there is always the possibility of unauthorized access and hacking.
- In the event of accidental data deletion or data loss from data retrieval, having a backup of Office 365 mailboxes is a plus point for you.
How to Backup Office 365 Mailboxes to PST?
Looking for an Office 365 backup solutions? Don’t worry; here we will explain everything you need to know about how to backup Office 365 mailboxes data in proper way. Today in this article we are going to discuss two ways: manual method and an automated third party Office 365 backup tool. The manual method that we are going to try is absolutely free, but it has some limitations. First we will learn the manual procedure to backup Office 365 mailbox data. So, let us start with E-discovery method to backup Office 365 mailbox to PST format:
Steps to Manually Backup Office 365 to PST:
Step 1: Logging in to your Office 365 portal with the administrator credentials.
Step 2: Visit to the Microsoft 365 Admin Centre
Step 3: In the Microsoft 365 Admin Centre, expand the Admin centre and make a click on the Security.
Step 4: In your Security & Compliance center, click on Permissions option and edit eDiscovery Manager Role group.
Step 5: In the eDiscovery Manager Role group properties window, use the Edit button and add your account to the eDiscovery Administrator list.
Step 6: The role group is assigned the following roles: Compliance Search, Case Management, Hold, Preview, Review, RMS Decryption, and Export. If an export role is missing, make sure to add it by using the Edit Role Group button.
Step 7: Now you need to visit the Search& investigation >> Content search
Note: If Content Search option is missing out there, it may be likely related to the changes you made in the eDiscovery permissions. Changes might take 24 hours to apply.
Step 8: Now a new window will appear on the screen, make a click on the New Search option, here you can select the “All locations” or “Specific locations”.
Step 9: After that in the next window, choose Exchange email or select specific mailboxes using the Choose users, group’s option.
Step 10: In addition to the location filter, you also have other filters to use like time ranges, keywords/phrases, from/ To /CC/BCC fields, and many more. If you need to archive all of the data, don’t apply a filter.
Step 11: Click Save and Run. You will be taken to the wizard where you will have to enter the name and description.
Step 12: Now you need to move back to the Content Search Window, hit on the refresh option and select the search.
Step 13: In the next window that appears on your screen, the user can see if the search has been completed by clicking the Export results option.
Step 14: Now here, user can check whether he wants to include encrypted files. The user can also choose how to export the Exchange content: the default options are best for backup. After you have selected all the checks, simply click on the Export button.
Step 15: This will start the export of data. You can check the progress on the Export tab.
Step 16: You can also download the results from the Download Results tab. The export key must be copied. It is needed in the next step.
Step 17: Now once you click on the “eDiscovery PST Export Tool” application starts. Paste the copied export key here. Use the export tool to point to a folder where you want to save the PST files.
Step 18: After the completion of the process all generated search will be get listed. Click on the download arrow to export the PST files.
Limitations of Manual Method:
- The manual approach to backup Office 365 mailbox looks very tedious and time-consuming as well.
- The manual method cannot back up selected data such as email, contacts or calendar, etc.
- Prior technical knowledge is required for processing the manual method. It is not suitable for the beginners.
- There is a high probability of data changes, no guarantee of an accurate and complete backup.
Professional Office 365 Backup Solution
No company wants to risk the data and does not have additional time for manual backup. A professional third-party tool is therefore a must for the perfect and accurate Office 365 backup. Office 365 backup software is the most advanced tool that suits for complete backup of Office 365 mailbox to a PST file. The Office 365 backup solution has a user-friendly interface which makes the backup process so easy that users don’t require any technical knowledge to operate it. It’s a perfect solution for easy, quick and accurate backup. Have a look at the key features:
- The Office 365 mailboxes are easily backed up in PST format using this Office 365 backup tool; due to the user-friendly interface. Its execution is a simple task that any beginner can easily do.
- This Office 365 backup software offers fast and complete backup of users Mailboxes, Archive Mailboxes, and Public Folder, etc.
- The software offers an effective filter option based on “Date” and “Items”. This user can remove the unwanted data.
- The software offers an advanced option for full and incremental backup is also supported in the Office 365 backup solution. This is useful when the user is backing up again and only backing up the most recently increased data. This prevents the data from being duplicated.
- It continues with the job-based backup process, there is no need to constantly connect, and a one-time connection is sufficient to run jobs.
- At the end, the software also generates the status report for the entire process. Here you can also save the report for future reference.
How Regain Office 365 Backup and Restore Works?
Using Regain Office 365 Backup Software is very easy as it has a user-friendly GUI. Below are the steps to backup Office 365 Mailboxes to PST.
Step 1: Install and Launch the Regain Office 365 Backup Software on your system.
Step 2: Now, you have to select Office 365 option in the Server type and provide the log in details of your Office 365 account to connect Office 365 user mailboxes and click on the connect to server button.
Step3: Now, a dialog box will appear, here you will see the preview of all the available folder, check then in details and click the Next button to proceed further.
Step 4: Choose ‘Backup to Outlook PST’ option in the ‘Backup options’ and create a new backup directory to store the backup data of Office 365 mailboxes into PST format.
Step 5: Now provide the name of the directory and browse the directory/folder path where you want to store the backup files of Office 365 mailboxes.
Step6: a new wizard will open; here the software also generates the status report for the entire process. Here you can also save the report for future reference.
Step 7: At last, all your Office 365 mailboxes are successfully saved into PST file format and you can view it at your desired location on your local system.
Office 365 mailboxes need to be backed up for various reasons. To reduce the size of the Office 365 mailbox or to protect data from unethical hacking, the need usually increases. There are manual methods for this purpose as well as a professional third-party tool. Manual methods like e-discovery do not provide a real, easy-to-use way to backup Office 365 mailboxes. The manual method has many disadvantages. A professional, advanced Office 365 backup solution for simple and perfect Office 365 backup. Backing up and restoring Office 365 is a must. It offers all the functions that any professional Office 365 backup solution can offer. Users can also check work efficiency by downloading a free demo version of the software that can process the first 30 items per folder for free.