How to Import Contacts from Excel to Google Contacts (Gmail)
Updated On - December 21, 2022 by Nasir Khan |Reading Time: 5 minutes
MS Excel is one of the popular tool for storing data in an organized way. In Excel, you can store large data on spreadsheets, add diagrams, insert pie charts, save contacts and much more. All the data in MS Excel is store in .XLS or .XLSX format. When we talk about ‘How to Access Excel Contacts to other platform‘ or users want to import Contacts to Phone, Outlook, Thunderbird, iCloud or other platforms that does not support Excel files. The Excel files must be converted to vCard (VCF) file format before importing them to other systems.
About vCard File Format
vCard (VCF) is an electronic business card file format standard. vCards allows generating and exchanging contact information through the Internet such as in email and instant messaging. vCard file format is compatible with almost all devices, email clients, email services, and cloud services. Once convert Excel contacts to vCard file format, they can be imported into MS Outlook, Android Phone, iPhone, Thunderbird, Gmail, WhatsApp, and other applications.
Google Contacts (Gmail) only supports CSV and vCard files. If the contacts are store in Excel (.xlsx or .xls), first convert excel file to CSV or vCard format. This can be done with Google Sheets or MS Excel.
2 Free Manual Methods to Convert Excel files to CSV format
1st Method: by Using Google Sheet
Steps to convert Excel File to CSV File with Google Sheet
- Open the Web Browser and go to Google Drive.
- Sign in.
- Upload the Excel file having the contacts that you need to import to Google Contacts (Gmail).
- Right-click the Excel file and select Open with > Google Sheets.
- Select File > Download > Comma-separated values (.csv, current sheet).
2nd Method: To import contacts from Excel to Google Contacts, you need to perform three steps:
Step 1: Convert Excel to CSV Format in MS Excel
Perform the below steps for converting Excel file to CSV file format:
- Open the Excel file.
- Click the Office button at the top corner of Excel window.
- Click Save As > Other Formats.
- The Save As dialog box opens. Select the folder or location for saving the file.
- In Save As type option, click the drop-down menu.
- Select the option CSV (Comma delimited).
- Click Save.
The Excel file is now converted to CSV file format.
Step 2: Import Contacts from CSV File
Perform the below steps to import contacts from CSV file:
- Go to Start Window and type contacts.
- Click the contacts icon to open a contact window.
- Select the users available and click the Import tab.
- Select the format as CSV (Comma delimited) file.
- Select the CSV file created before, click Next.
The excel contacts will be imported.
Step 3: Export Contacts to VCF
Perform the below steps to export contacts to VCF file:
- Go to the Contacts window, click Export.
- Select the option vCards (folder of.vcf files).
- Click Export.
- Select the folder to save the converted files.
The Excel file gets converted to VCF file format.
Now Import Excel Contacts (CSV or vCard Files) to Gmail with Google Contacts
- Login to your Google account.
- Click on “Google Apps icon” and select “Contacts”.
- On the left, click Import.
- In the Import Contacts wizard, click Select file.
- After selecting the CSV file, click Import.
- Under the Labels section, find the contacts imported.
- Select all the contacts, then click the Add to contacts icon.
Limitations while importing Excel Contacts to Gmail with Google Contacts
- Allows importing 3000 contacts at a time. If you have more than 3000 contacts, split them into multiple CSV files before importing.
- There is a limitation of 25000 contacts.
- In case contacts aren’t formatted to work with Google Contacts.
- Contacts must be saved as a vCard or CSV file.
Professional Tool to convert MS Excel Contacts to vCard File
If you are looking to convert your MS Excel contacts file to MS Outlook PST file, then Regain Excel to PST Converter is the professional tool available. The software supports converting .xls, .xlsx, and .csv files to Outlook PST, MSG, vCard and ICS files.
Free Download100% Secure Buy NowPrice: $39
Regain Excel to PST Converter Software Features
- Exclude duplicate contacts before conversion.
- Convert Excel Spreadsheet Contacts to vCard format
- Facilitates skipping empty email addresses.
- Displays preview of all contacts from the Excel file before conversion.
- No file size limit to convert Excel contacts to vCard files.
- Compatible with all versions of MS Excel and MS Outlook.
- Available as a free trial version.
Export Contacts from Excel File to vCard format with Easy 5 Step Process
Using Regain Excel to PST Converter software to convert MS Excel contacts file to vCard format, you need to perform only the 5 steps as listed below:
- Launch Regain Excel to PST Converter software.
- Browse and add Excel file for conversion.
- See preview of all Excel file contacts.
- Map columns of Excel and Outlook.
- Select destination path and target format as ‘Save to vCard‘.
Regain Excel to PST Converter: Free Trial
Excel to PST Converter software is available as a free to download trial version. Download the free demo version and check the offered functionalities of the software. The only limitation with the Excel to PST Converter free demo version is that it saves only 30 contacts per Excel file. To save unlimited contacts per Excel file, purchase the full licensed version of Excel to PST Converter software.
This article discusses the manual method for converting contacts from Excel file to Google Contacts. Also, if you are looking to convert Excel contacts to vCard format, this article recommends using the professional third-party Excel to PST Converter software.
One thought on “How to Import Contacts from Excel to Google Contacts (Gmail)”
I followed your steps and successfully transferred my contacts from Excel to Google Contacts. Really, your instructions were very easy to follow. Thanks for such valuable information!