Updated On - March 18, 2023 by Henry Bray |Reading Time: 5 minutes
This article explains how to import AOL contacts into Gmail. Migration from AOL to Gmail is not difficult as it allows users to easily import contacts.
A Quick Overview About Gmail
Gmail or Google Mail is a popular, secure, convenient, reliable, free web-based email service by Google. It enables users to send and receive emails over the Internet. It offers numerous features that makes users to use it over other email clients such as:
- It provides users with a storage space of 15 GB for messages.
- Can be accessed from any device as long as there is an Internet connection.
- It provides users ability to search the specific messages.
- It automatically organizes successively related messages into a conversational thread.
- Spam Filtering: Gmail has spam-filtering capabilities to keep spam, phishing, malware out of Inbox. Spam messages are automatically sent to Spam folder and gets automatically deleted after 30 days.
- Confidential Mode: The Confidential mode delimits your recipients to forward, copy, print, download your email message. You can add an optional expiration time and set a passcode.
- Schedule Send Feature: Gmail allows scheduling the email to be sent tomorrow morning, tomorrow afternoon or at desired date and time.
Need for importing AOL Contacts to Gmail Account
- Gmail is becoming the most trending email client for personal as well as business communication.
- Consider a scenario where you or your organization is looking forward to implement Google Workspace as a central platform to work from and want to switch to Gmail.
- AOL is experiencing server issues very frequently that results in the downtime of the server. At this point, you cannot access your AOL emails along with the contacts. The users want to export AOL contacts to Gmail to prevent themselves from such events.
- Change email providers and switch from AOL to cloud-based Gmail account.
- Merge your AOL mail with your Gmail account.
- Create a backup of your AOL email in another account.
Manual Steps to Import AOL Contacts to Gmail
You can import all your address book from AOL mail into Gmail.
To import AOL Contacts to Gmail, perform the steps as discussed:
- Copy all the contacts you want to import from your AOL account to a folder.
- Log in to your Gmail account using your login credentials (username and password).
- Click on (Gear Icon) >click See all Settings.
- Click Accounts and Import tab > Click Import mail and contacts.
- The Import dialog box appears. Enter the AOL email address below “What account do you want to import from”, click Continue.
- Enter your AOL Mail password, click Continue.
- Make sure Import contacts is selected among the below three options:
- Import mail
- Import contacts
- Import new mail for next 30 days
- Click Start import.
- Click OK when the import process is completed.
Manual Method 2: Export Contacts from AOL to Gmail
Export AOL Contacts to CSV
Follow the below steps to save your AOL contacts or AIM address book to a CSV file format:
- Log in to your AOL email account.
- Select contacts from your AOL mail account or AIM Mail folder list.
- Click Select All from the top-left pane if you want to export all contacts.
- Click Export.
- Select CSV file format for file type.
- Browse the desired location to save your CSV file on the system.
- Click Export.
Import Contacts CSV File to Gmail
Follow the below steps to import contacts CSV file to Gmail:
- Login to your Gmail account.
- Click on 9 squared dots from the top-right corner and then choose Contacts.
OR visit here: https://contacts.google.com/?hl=en
- Click Import.
- Select CSV or vCard file.
- Select exported contacts.csv file of AOL account,click Open.
- After selection, click Import.
After completing the Import process, Gmail will show you the imported contacts.
Limitations with Manual Process
- Manual methods is less reliable.
- Requires additional resources that may not be available immediately.
- Moving AOL emails to Gmail manually may slow down the work of your computer.
Professional Solution: Regain AOL Mail Backup Software
Using a third-party professional tool is highly recommended to migrate AOL contacts to Gmail as it generates accurate results and requires no manual work. The AOL Backup software exports all your AOL mailbox emails into PST, EML, EMLX, MSG, HTML, MHTML, MBOX, and PDF file formats. Import your AOL Mail data to Gmail or Outlook without any data loss.
- Displays preview of your AOL mailbox folders before migration.
- Allows selective AOL mailbox folders for backup process.
- Saves the AOL backup at the desired location in the computer system.
- Maintains the data integrity of every AOL mailbox item.
- Allows downloading AOL mail to an external drive.
- Comes with a self-descriptive, intuitive graphical user interface.
- Migration of complete AOL mailbox in a few simple steps.
- AOL Mail backup tool is a secure and reliable utility as it does not save AOL account login credentials.
- It also works as a Verizon Mail backup tool.
- Software compatible with all versions of Windows OS.
- Available as free to download demo version.
- Lifetime free technical support on purchase.
Steps to Download AOL Mailbox Items
- Download, install and launch Regain AOL Email Backup software as an administrator.
- Enter AOL email address and password, click Next.
- Select specific items from the preview list, click Next.
- Select the desired file format, click Next.
- Browse and provide the desired location of the backup file.
- Click Next.
This article discusses the need for importing AOL contacts to Gmail, manual method or steps to perform the AOL contacts import to Gmail, limitations of the manual method. Since manual method has some limitation, we recommend here to use a third-party professional AOL Mail Backup software to backup all AOL mailbox formats in desired file format and without any data loss and while preserving the data integrity. Just imagine you can check the capabilities of the AOL Backup tool by downloading the demo version for free that comes with only one limitation of saving only first 30 emails per folder. To save unlimited emails per folder, purchase the licensed version.