Updated On - March 18, 2023 by Nasir Khan |Reading Time: 6 minutes
Need to download a document, but you can’t download attachments from Gmail? Unexpected issues could occur at any point and one of the most common issues Gmail users face is unable to download attachments. This article provides solutions on how to fix can’t download attachment from Gmail.
Reasons of Issue – Unable to Download Attachments from Gmail
“Failed to download attachment from Gmail” issue might arise due to one of the following reason:
- Server-related issue
- Slow network connection
- Third-party software
- Improper Device Configurations
- Confidential Mode on Gmail: If the email sender sends the email with Confidential Mode ON, then you will not be able to download the attachments of email message.
- Not enough storage space: If your mailbox if full of additional email messages and the storage space is restricted to only a few emails, you will not be able to download the attachments.
- The attachment file is too big: Gmail does not allow sending and receiving emails with large attachments, this is also one of the reason for not able to download the attachments from Gmail.
- The attachment file contains a virus: If the Gmail attachment is infected with virus, Gmail automatically rejects its users to download the attachment.
- Unrecognized file format
- Bad file association or problem with the program
- Compressed file
- The sender has a Mac computer, and you have Windows
- Corrupt file
Related Post: Methods to Email Large Files as Attachments in Outlook
Workarounds for Unable to Download Attachments from Gmail
If you are unable to download attachments from Gmail in mobile, then try the workarounds discussed below:
Check Gmail Servers
If you are facing issues while downloading attachments, check Gmail’s servers before changing your device settings. Since the attachments that you are unable to download are coming from Gmail server, it must be working properly.
Visit https://www.google.com/appsstatus/dashboard/ and see if there is any issue with Gmail.
Restart your Device
If you are facing issue while downloading attachment from Gmail, try one of the workaround as restart your device/system. It will clear your device/system’s cache and will eliminate temporary bugs and glitches that may have occurred during use.
After restarting your device/system, launch Gmail and see if you can download the attachments.
Use a Different Email Client
Try accessing your Gmail account using third-party clients. For instance, Windows and Mac OS both offer a dedicated mail app that you can use to view emails using your email address. Using the dedicated mail app on your Windows or Mac PC, try downloading the attachments.
Turn Off Gmail Labs Settings
Try turning off Gmail Labs on your account, a beta feature on Gmail, which allows accessing unreleased features. To turn off Gmail Labs on your account, perform the below steps:
- Click the (Gear icon) on the top-right corner of your page.
- Select See All Settings.
- Navigate to Advanced tab.
- Disable all the features under it.
Now try and see if you are able to download attachments from Gmail.
Check your Network Connection
If you are facing issues while downloading attachments from Gmail, it might be due to the reason that your network is running slow or unstable. While downloading an attachment from Gmail, check if you have stable internet connection.
Use https://fast.com/ to measure your network’s upload and download bandwidth.
Antivirus may restrict your browser from downloading the attachments from Gmail. Disable your anti-virus in the system and then try downloading attachments from Gmail. Re-enable your antivirus after downloading attachments to keep your system safe.
Report the Issue to Google
Visit Google Support page and contact Google’s support team to seek their assistance regarding the issue you are facing. Provide all the necessary details that will help team in understanding the issue and resolve it soon.
Update the Current Browser
Update your browser to the latest version available; updated browser in the system might be one of the reason for not able to download the attachments from Gmail.
Clear Browser Cache and Cookies
Cache and cookies can get corrupted over time that can further affect the browser’s or app’s performance and causing issues like attachments not getting downloaded in Gmail. Try clearing cache and cookies data from the browser or Gmail app on your system or device.
Use Supported Browsers
Gmail only supports Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer, and Microsoft Edge Internet browsers. If you are facing some other browser such as Opera, Maxthon, Vivaldi, etc., you might face an issue while downloading attachments from Gmail.
Allow Background Data Usage
If you are using mobile data while downloading attachments from Gmail and have enabled data saving mode on your device, then you might face an issue. Disable data saving mode and then try downloading attachments from Gmail.
Uncheck the “Do not save encrypted pages to disk” setting
Deselect the “Do not save encrypted pages to disk” option and then try downloading attachments from Gmail.
Professional Tool: Regain Gmail Backup Software
If you are looking an answer for “How to save attachments in Gmail to desktop”, then here we suggest using a third-party professional Gmail Backup software to backup Gmail account to your local PC. The self-descriptive graphical user interface of the software eases Gmail backup process even for non-technical background users.
Salient Features of Gmail Backup Software
- Backs up Gmail emails without any data loss.
- Backs up Google Drive data.
- Allows adding large-sized and multiple Gmail mailboxes simultaneously.
- Saves Gmail mailboxes in PST, EML, MBOX, PDF, HTML file formats.
- Displays preview of added Gmail mailbox folders before initiating backup.
- Selective Gmail folders backup.
- Retains Gmail meta properties and folder hierarchy.
- Pause and Resume options to pause the Gmail backup process and resume where you left off.
- Displays live log report for the entire Gmail backup process to track the complete process.
- Compatible with all Windows operating systems.
- Available as a free demo version.
Just 5 Steps and you are done with Gmail mailbox backup on your system
- Download, install and launch Regain Gmail backup Software.
- Enter the login credentials (email address and password) of the Gmail mailbox.
- Software displays preview of all available mailbox folder, check/uncheck folders/subfolders to backup.
- Select Email format as a backup option and then click Next.
- The Gmail email backup process initiates and displays a live log report. Click Finish.
This article discusses the possible reasons for the issue of unable to download attachments from Gmail in mobile or system. Also, here we discussed the workarounds for Gmail not downloading attachments on Android or your computer system. To resolve Failed to download attachment from Gmail, we recommended a professional third-party Gmail backup software. The software is available as a free demo version that lets you check its capabilities before deciding to purchase the software.