How to Import your Gmail Contacts to Outlook
Updated On - January 3, 2023 by Nasir Khan |Reading Time: 5 minutes
Gmail data is prone to malware and ransomware attacks. Also, if an employee is leaving an organization and need to take backup of complete Gmail account Contacts to Outlook, then this article discusses how you can import your Gmail Contacts to Outlook.
Import your Gmail contacts either manually or use a third-party tool to export your Gmail contacts and access them in MS Outlook application.
3 simple steps to import Gmail Contacts to Outlook by manual way
- Export Gmail contacts.
- Import Gmail contacts to MS Outlook 2016
- View your Gmail contacts in Microsoft Outlook
Let’s discuss the above 3 steps in detail now.
Related Software: How to Import MAC Outlook (.OLM files)Emails to Gmail
Step 1: Export Gmail Contacts
- Login to your Gmail account with your credentials – email ID and password.
- Select Gmail > Contacts.
- Select More > Export.
- Now Select the contact group that needs to export.
- Export format as Outlook CSV for importing Gmail contacts into MS Outlook 2016 application.
- Click Export.
- Select Save As and provide the location to save the file.
In this step, your Gmail Contacts are exported as a .CSV file. This .csv file needs to be imported in Outlook 2016.
Step 2: Import Gmail Contacts into Outlook 2016
- Select File > Open & Export > Import/Export.
- Select Import from another program or file > click Next.
- Select Comma Separated Values > click Next.
- In the Import a File box, click Browse to select a .csv file in which you exported your Gmail contacts in Step 1.
- Select an option for how Outlook should handle duplicate contacts:
- Replace duplicates with items imported
- Allow duplicates to be created
- Do not import duplicate items
- In the Select a destination folder box, select Contacts folder. Click Next.
- Click Finish.
Your Gmail Contacts are now imported to Outlook 2016.
Step 3: View your Gmail Contacts in Microsoft Outlook
In Outlook, select Address Book, select the name of your mailbox > select Contacts.
Your Gmail Contacts will appear in the Outlook Address Book.
Steps to import contacts from Outlook Web App
- Select People from the app launcher.
- Now Select settings gear > click Options.
- Select Import contacts under People.
- Click Browse button to select the .csv file in which you exported your Gmail contacts.
- Click Import.
Few Error Messages faced by user when migrating from Gmail Contacts to Outlook
- Translation Error – A file error has occurred in the Comma Separated Values translator while initializing a translator to build a field map.
- Outlook unable to retrieve data from the .csv file.
Issues while performing migration from Gmail Contacts to Outlook manually
- Manual migration of more than 2000 Gmail contacts to Outlook in a go can throw some error. So, it is highly recommended to first split the .csv file manually and then perform the manual migration.
- What if your .csv file does not contain any contact while exporting Gmail contacts to .csv. In this case, you need to first manually check the .csv file for accurate export of Gmail contacts.
- Also, in the .csv file there might be some missing information while export from Gmail to .csv. In this case, you need to fill the missing information manually.
- Manual migration of Gmail contact to Outlook can be done only for one Google account. For corporate users having several Gmail accounts, migrating all the Gmail contacts to Outlook in a go cannot be done using the manual process.
To overcome all the error messages and get rid of all the issues mentioned above, it is highly recommended to use a third-party tool to export Gmail Contacts to Outlook. Gmail Backup Software is the best solution available to import google contacts to outlook. Other than contacts, this tool provides complete backup of other Gmail mailbox components including emails, calendar, notes, events, etc.
Gmail Backup Software not only converts Google contacts to Outlook PST file but it converts Gmail contacts to other formats as well like MSG, MBOX, EML, EMLX, HTML, MHTML, PDF formats.
Free Download100% Secure Buy NowPrice: $29
A quick glance of few other extra-ordinary features of Gmail Backup Software:
- Supports backup of single as well as multiple Gmail accounts.
- Downloads document from your Google Drive to their original format e.g. Google Drive Docs to Doc, Google Drive Sheets to XLSX, Google Drive slides to PPTX, Google Drive Drawings to JPEG format.
- Displays preview of all available folders in Gmail account.
- Supports selective backup of Gmail mailbox items.
- Supports incremental Gmail backup to take backup of only new Gmail items instead of complete mailbox data if backup taken already.
- Offers option of Pause & Resume – Pause option to stop the backup process in between in case of internet connectivity loss or any other issue, Resume option to resume the backup process.
- Displays Gmail mailbox backup progress while performing the backup.
- Maintains all email properties, folder structure, hierarchy and integrity of your mailbox data.
- Easy-to-understand and self-descriptive user interface to transfer contacts from Gmail to Outlook.
- Compatible with all versions of Windows OS – Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP and Outlook versions – MS Outlook 2019, MS Outlook 2016, MS Outlook 2013 (32-bit and 64-bit versions)/ MS Outlook 2010 / MS Outlook 2007/ MS Outlook 2003/ MS Outlook 2002/ MS Outlook 2000.
- Does not save your confidential Gmail account passwords.
- Safe and secure to download and install, free from viruses and malware.
- Available as free to download trial version.
- Free lifetime technical support.
Related Blog: How to Resolve Gmail is Out of Space Issue?
3 Steps to export Gmail Contacts to Outlook using Gmail Backup Software
- Enter valid login details of your Gmail account.
- Gmail Backup software displays preview of all available Gmail folders.
- Select Saving File format among the supported file formats:
- PST – To export to Outlook PST file
- EML – To export to Windows Live message
- EMLX – To export to Mac EMLX message
- MSG – To export to Outlook message
- HTML – To export message to HTML file format
- MHTML – To export message to MHTML
- PDF – To export message to PDF file format
- MBOX – To export to MBOX file format
Give Gmail Backup Software, a third-party tool a try to export Gmail Contacts to Outlook. Download the available trial version for free and perform see how the tool performs accurate transfer of Google contacts to Outlook. The trial version has a limitation that it will save only 30 items per folder. Purchase the full licensed version to transfer unlimited email items from your Gmail mailbox to Outlook and also multiple Gmail accounts in a single go.
One thought on “How to Import your Gmail Contacts to Outlook”
Great thanks for the informative and easy-to-follow article! I was able to successfully import my Gmail contacts to Outlook with the help of this guide. Thanks for the helpful information!