Updated On - November 28, 2023 by Nasir Khan |Reading Time: 6 minutes
AOL is a web portal and online service provider started in 1985 in New York. Several US-based users use it as an email service; however, it also stores other data such as news, Games, etc., making AOL email management a hectic task, especially for businesspersons. To get rid of these unwanted data, AOL users are slowly adapting MS Outlook as an email service and are seeking for solution to migrate or configure AOL mails to MS Outlook.
In this write-up, I’ll describe the step-by-step process to configure AOL email to Outlook email clients, but before this, I’ll enlighten the other aspects of AOL Mail to Outlook move. So, let’s elaborate:
Benefits of Moving emails from AOL Mail to MS Outlook
Honestly, AOL provides some features that are not available in Outlook, but Outlook is a much more reliable and secure option for businesspersons. Below are a few reasons why MS Outlook dominates the email niche, and people are moving into it.
- The first thing is Outlook comes as a part of Microsoft Suite, but AOL is a web-based service that you can use anytime. However, AOL does not have any application; also, its web-based interface is quite complicated for newbies as compared to Outlook.
- Outlook is a product by Microsoft and comes with Microsoft’s Security and privacy features. As we all know, Microsoft is currently ruling the world in the tech niche, and no one is more reliable than Microsoft’s security. Hence, data security is another reason for AOL to Outlook transfer.
- One of the most frequent reasons for AOL to Outlook transfer is that Outlook can be used offline, and also it stores data in a local drive, making it easy to port and access. On the other hand, AOL is a web-based service that can’t be used offline, and no one knows where your AOL emails get saved.
These are only a few reasons; if you dig deeper, you’ll realize there are a lot of features that make Outlook’s Young generation preference, and also AOL is being obsolete, and people are turning their back on AOL. Now the question arises of how to configure your AOL emails into Outlook.
The answer is AOL and Outlook are both IMAP-based email clients, and if you want to receive your AOL emails into Outlook, you can create an Outlook profile for your AOL account.
Related Post: How to Configure Yahoo Mail into Outlook
How to configure AOL emails to Outlook email client?
I’ve divided the process in two phases. In the first phase, we’ll enable the Two-factor authentication for AOL accounts. You need an app password to add AOL email to Outlook. This won’t be the same as your usual password. After creating the app password, we’ll move to the second phase, in which we’ll use the Outlook Add account feature to set up your AOL email account.
Phase1: Make a password for a third-party app
- Log in to mail.aol.com.
- Go to the option section of your AOL profile and click on Account Info.
- Click on Account Security in the menu on the left, then click on Generate App Password.
- On the screen that says App Password choose Outlook Desktop and click Generate.
- Write down or copy the app password that is made.
Phase2: Set up AOL mail in Microsoft 365, Outlook 2016, or Outlook 2019.
- Go to the File tab in Outlook.
- Choose Info, then click the Add Account button.
- Enter your AOL email address and click the “Connect” button.
- Type in your AOL App password and click “Connect.”
- Click the Done button after you choose IMAP.
- Once the process of verifying your account is done, Outlook will download the messages to your account.
Now your AOL profile will get configured into Outlook, and you can access your AOL emails in Outlook. But there is a problem with this: it’ll import all your AOL data, including news, games, and other stuff. If you want to export only required AOL data into Outlook/PST format, then the only possible way is to use an automated third-party Regain AOL backup tool.
Related Blog: How to Configure Gmail in MS Outlook
Export AOL emails into Outlook PST format in an easy way
When I talk about an automated tool to export AOL emails into Outlook PST format, Regain AOL email backup software is the name that hits my mind first. The tool is laced with several advanced features and, most importantly, a convenient GUI, making it a picture-perfect utility even for newbies and non-technocrats. Let me describe the process to you so you’ll get an idea of how this software works, and if you want to evaluate the tool’s skills before purchasing, you can download the free version.
How to backup AOL emails to PST format? Or move AOL to Outlook
- Install and open the Regain AOL email backup tool in your system.
- Provide username and app password in respective fields and click Login to AOL mail account.
- Check the AOL mailbox folders that you want to backup/move into PST format and click Next.
- In the next window, choose the file format to store a backup of AOL emails and again click Next.
- Now, the software will start exporting your AOL to Outlook PST format and display a live log report.
Here the software process gets completed, and as you can see, AOL to PST import is a matter of seconds with the Regain AOL email backup software. Also, apart from PST, you can export your important AOL emails into PDF, MSG, EML, and MBOX format.
AOL is one of the oldest email service providers and is still popular in the United States. Most of the older versions of AOL software do not support IMAP or POP. But it is possible to move AOL emails to Outlook and configure AOL to Outlook with a few correct steps. The process of transferring all email messages from your AOL account to Outlook with Regain AOL email backup tool is fairly simple. In this guide, we’ve shown you how to save your AOL email messages to Outlook by showing you the exact steps you need to take. You will need the AOL mail address, your password, and an Outlook email account.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ques1. How do I configure Outlook for AOL Mail?
Here are the steps that you need to follow for this process:
- Open Outlook.
- Select File in the Outlook top menu.
- In the left pane, select Info then Add Account.
- Enter your AOL email address and then click Connect.
- Enter your AOL email account password and then click Connect.
- Click Done.
Ques2. Is AOL email pop3 or IMAP?
Ans. AOL Mail is an IMAP account. Hence, it can be easily connected to mobile devices and other desktop email clients.
Ques3. How to configure Outlook IMAP and SMTP?
Ans. Uses have to manually select and configure the server settings and click on Next. This will be helpful to configure the network settings then.
Ques4. Does AOL Mail support POP3?
Ans. Before you can connect to an AOL email account via POP3, all you need to know is that the AOL POP settings are enabled in advance.