Updated On - November 16, 2023 by Henry Bray |Reading Time: 4 minutes
If you’re interested in switching from Outlook to Zimbra Desktop, this blog post is for you! We’ll demonstrate how to migrate OST emails to Zimbra Desktop. Before diving into the main topic, let’s discuss why you need this and what are the benefits of Zimbra desktop over the Outlook app.
Why Migrate OST Emails to Zimbra Desktop?
There are a few reasons why you should move your OST emails over to Zimbra Desktop. Perhaps you’re using Outlook and want to switch to Zimbra, or you may be dealing with an Exchange server that’s being retired. No matter the reason, there are some things you should remember when migrating your emails.
What are the Advantages of Zimbra Desktop?
Zimbra Desktop has many advantages over Microsoft Outlook, making it a great choice for those looking for an alternative. One of the biggest advantages is that Zimbra Desktop can be used without an Exchange Server, making it perfect for small businesses or individuals who don’t need the extra features that Exchange provides. Another great advantage is that Zimbra Desktop integrates with a variety of email accounts, including Gmail, Yahoo Mail, and iCloud. This makes it easy to keep all your email in one place.
How to Migrate OST Emails to Zimbra Desktop Manually?
All of Microsoft Outlook’s data files are stored in an Offline Storage Table (OST), including emails, contacts, tasks, notes, etc. However, sometimes users need to switch from Microsoft Outlook to Zimbra Desktop due to certain circumstances. To do this, they need to convert their OST file into a Zimbra-compatible file format. If using any IMAP-based email client, they can configure their account into Outlook and export all the data into PST file format and then use the Zimbra Connector for Outlook. This way, they can access all their OST data in Zimbra Desktop.
To migrate OST emails into Zimbra directly, we need a third-party tool called “Regain OST to PST converter.” Make sure to understand the name; this tool also can convert OST emails into TGZ format, which is compatible with Zimbra Desktop.
How to Configure Zimbra Desktop?
You can configure Zimbra Desktop to connect to an existing email account or create a new one by following these steps:
- Launch Zimbra Desktop and click on the icon in the top left corner.
- Select Preferences from the drop-down menu.
- Click on Accounts in the Preferences window.
- Select the Add Account button.
- Choose Email Account from the list of options and click Next.
- Input your account information, which includes your name, email address, password, and account description.
- To finish the process, click “Next” and then “Finish.”
How to Import OST Emails into Zimbra Desktop?
To start, you need to export data from OST to PST, or as mentioned above, you can use a professional tool like ‘Regain OST to PST converter tool’ for that.
Follow the steps below to import PST files into Zimbra Desktop after successfully converting OST files to PST.
- Next, download and install the “Zimbra Connector for Outlook.”
- After installing Zimbra Connector successfully, open Outlook and go to File > Import and Export.
- Choose the Import from another program or file option from the list and click Next.
- Now, select the Personal Folder File (.pst) option and click on the Next button.
- Choose the PST file you want to import to Zimbra, then click the Finish button.
Now you know both manual methods. However, if you’re a big organization with multiple files to migrate into Zimbra, both approaches are not recommended. Due to the:
- You have to move each file into the PST format and then migrate them one by one into Zimbra.
- There is a file restriction on migrating PST files into Zimbra using the manual method.
- You can only migrate OST file which is accessible and has an active Outlook account. Hence, you cannot migrate orphaned or corrupt OST files.
- Due to the manual methods indirect approach, you have to repeat the process over and over, which makes it a lengthy and irritating process.
Is there any alternative to the manual solution?
Yes, it has; it’s not an alternative; it’s a recommended way. I am talking about Regain OST Converter tool. The tool is developed by professionals and for professionals like you. It is an automated solution that can migrate data into multiple file formats, and Zimbra’s TGZ file format is one of them. Also, the tool consists of a convenient GUI, which makes this tool a reliable solution even for non-technocrats. Besides this, the tool is rewarded as the most cost-effective and advanced solution in its category. Let me mention some of this tool’s features so you can better understand the tool.
Features of the Regain OST to Zimbra Exporter tool (AKA OST to PST)
- You can add multiple OST files and export them directly into Zimbra without any hassle.
- There is no bar on adding multiple OST files; therefore, you can add unlimited OST files to migrate into Zimbra.
- The tool is capable of migrating Orphaned and corrupted OST files without any glitches.
- You can have a preview of the added OST files data and select them accordingly as per need.
- The tool allows migrating OST files into Zimbra TGZ file format in just four clicks, and also you can filter out unwanted OST emails.
- Regain OST to Zimbra exporter tool is compatible with all versions of Outlook and Windows Operating systems.
These are a few of its multiple features, and you’re suggested to install its free version and check its features and compatibility before purchasing the tool. To evaluate the tool or migrate OST emails into Zimbra, follow the below-given procedure:
Migrate OST emails into Zimbra mailboxes like a cakewalk
- Install the free OST to Zimbra exporter tool (aka OST to PST).
- Now click on the Open option and add the OST files you want to move.
- Check/uncheck OST folders to migrate and click on the Export option.
- Following, browse a location to save the resultant file and select TGZ as a file format.
- At last, click Finish, and now the software starts to migrate OST emails into Zimbra mailboxes.
Undoubtedly, Outlook is one of the prominent email clients nowadays. However, there are several circumstances and reasons for which users might need to migrate OST emails into Zimbra mailboxes. If you also want to process the same, you can choose any of the mentioned methods, but my personal recommendation is an automated tool as it eliminates almost 90% of the hassle and 100% of the data loss risk.