Updated On - March 16, 2023 by Armaan |Reading Time: 6 minutes
Microsoft Outlook is a desktop-based email client that allows users to send or receive emails. Outlook saves users’ email profile data to their local drive. While configuring an email account, MS Outlook automatically saves users’ data in OST files. In this blog, we explain how to import OST files to IMAP Server account.
OST files store all emails, contacts, calendars, and other items and synchronizes a copy of your mailbox information on to your system. OST files allow its users to use Outlook and work offline, but you would not be able to send any emails. Once the server connectivity is restored, all the changes made in OST file (during the time of network drop) will be synchronized to the server.
In some situations, Outlook users face several difficulties while using Outlook application and look forward to switch from Outlook to IMAP-based webmail applications.
Reasons to migrate/ Benefits of migrating from Outlook to IMAP-based email Account
There are various reasons or benefits of migrating from Outlook OST files to IMAP-based email accounts like Gmail, AOL, Hotmail, ZohoMail, GoDaddy Mail, etc. Few are:
- Outlook users are restricted in the way that they can access their email accounts from a single computer or location. But on migrating from Outlook to IMAP-based email account like Gmail, AOL, Hotmail, ZohoMail, GoDaddy Mail, etc., users can access their email account from different locations.
- Outlook users are restrict in the way that they can access their emails from a window-based machine. On migrating from Outlook to IMAP-based email account, users can access IMAP based email accounts from any device and operating system.
- On migrating from Outlook to IMAP-based email account, users need only a web browser to open and perform emailing tasks.
Manual Method to Import OST files to IMAP Server
Step 1: Locate your OST File
- Click File > Account Settings > Account Settings.
- Click Data Files tab, select OST file, click Open File Location.
Note: Irrespective of Outlook version, OST files can be found at:
Step 2: Export OST File as PST File
- In MS Outlook, click File > Open & Export > Import/Export.The Import and Export Wizard opens.
- Select Export to a file and click Next.Export to a File wizard opens.
- Select Outlook Data File (.pst) and click Next.Export Outlook Data File wizard opens.
- Select the required email account and the folder that you want to export as PST file.
Select checkbox Include subfolders if you want to include subfolders as well.
Click Next.5. Click Browse to save the PST file at desired location.
Select among the three available options:
- Replace duplicates with items exported
- Allow duplicate items to be created
- Do not export duplicate items
- Click Finish.
Step 3: Import PST to IMAP Account using G Suite Migration for Microsoft Outlook (GSMMO) tool
G Suite Migration for Microsoft Outlook (GSMMO) is a desktop application that lets users to import MS Outlook PST files to IMAP-based email account such as Gmail.
To import PST to IMAP account using G Suite Migration for Microsoft Outlook (GSMMO) tool, perform the steps as discussed below:
- Open the web browser, search for G Suite Migration for Microsoft Outlook, download and then install the application.
- Search the installed application and launch it.
- Please sign-in to G Suite Migration for Microsoft Outlook page appears.
Enter the Email Address to sign in with your Google account. Click Continue to proceed.
- Sign in with Google page appears. Enter your password. Click Next.
- A window appears saying G Suite Migration for Microsoft Outlook wants to access your Google Account. Scroll down and click Allow.
- On successful login, a confirmation message appears saying “Authorization has been granted successfully. Please switch to your application.”
- G Suite Migration for Microsoft Outlook window appears.
Step 1 of 2: User Profile
Select a Microsoft Outlook user profile or PST files to migrate.
From the drop-down menu, select From PST File(s) and click Next.
- The pop-up window shows the location where all Outlook PST files are save. In Step 2, if you have saved converted PST file to a different location, then paste that location’s file path in the Address bar.
- The PST file have been imported. Click Next to proceed.
- In Step 2 of 2: Migration Settings, select the PST file data you want to migrate to IMAP account. Click Migrate.
- The migration process gets initiated. Depending on the size of Outlook PST file, the process might take some time. On successful migration, Migration Completed message appears.
- Login to your Gmail account and look for the newly-imported Outlook PST file in the left pane.
After performing all the steps, your Outlook OST file gets successfully migrated to IMAP-based email account like Gmail.
Professional Tool to Import OST Files to IMAP Server
Regain OST Converter tool migrates Outlook OST files to IMAP-based email clients like Gmail, Yahoo mail, Outlook.com, GoDaddy, Hotmail, Amazon Work email, OST to Office 365, etc. The software displays preview of added OST file before migrating them. The tool maintains the folder hierarchy, email properties and data integrity.
The self-descriptive graphical user interface of the software lets even non-technical users to perform OST to IMAP migration. Compatible with all Outlook OST files and Windows Operating System versions, the software is available as a free to download demo version.
Download the free demo version, check the software’s capabilities, once satisfied with the software’s performance, purchase the full licensed version. The only limitation with trial version is that it saves only first 30 items per folder. To save unlimited items per folder, purchase full licensed version of the software.
This article is helpful for those users who are looking to switch from Microsoft Outlook OST files to IMAP-based email applications like Gmail, AOL, Hotmail, ZohoMail, GoDaddy Mail, etc. This article mentions steps using G Suite Migration for Microsoft Outlook (GSMMO) desktop application to migrate Outlook OST file to IMAP-based email account like Gmail. The manual method is time-consuming and tedious. To save time and effort, we recommend using a third-party tool.