Updated On - October 8, 2022 by Nasir Khan |Reading Time: 7 minutes
EDB is a file format used by the Exchange Server database to store all its directory, mail, and public folder information. This file contains all the user mailbox data items such as emails, calendars, attachments, tasks, notes, and journals.
All communication in the organization where Exchange Server is set up is stored in the EDB file. PST is also a file format used by MS Outlook that contains a specific user’s mailboxes on the client computer. MS Outlook can also be used as a stand-alone application or work together with the Exchange Server.
What are the possible reasons to convert EDB to PST?
Here we have mentioned some possible reasons that may require users to convert EDB to PST format:
- If users want to improve the performance of the Exchange Server by reducing the size of mailboxes, users need EDB to PST conversion.
- If the mailboxes cannot be accessed due to the maintenance of the Exchange Server, the data stored in the PST file proves to be a better choice for data access.
- When the Exchange Server takes a long time to respond or fails to perform any task, users need to convert EDB to PST.
- If the organization is migrating the Exchange Server, in that case, also users need EDB to PST conversion.
- Users even require EDB to PST conversion when they transfer their Exchange data from one place to another.
There is another reason that forces users to convert their data from Exchange EDB to PST format, and the reason is – Corruption is caused In EDB Files. The corruption causes due to:
Logical corruption– This type of corruption occurs because of corrupted or missing database bits, memory corruption, engine failure, etc. It also occurs at the application level in mailboxes, attachments, folders, and emails.
Physical Corruption– This type of corruption occurs when all databases become corrupted and corrupted on the hard drive.
This situation increases day by day, but users have no idea how to convert EDB to PST. In this article, to make users aware of the best Exchange EDB to PST conversion solution, we have explained both the manual and third-party tools to convert EDB to PST file format so that users can make all Exchange databases accessible in new Outlook files.
How to convert EDB to PST manually in different versions of Exchange Server?
Users can use different techniques based on Exchange Server versions to convert the Exchange database to Outlook PST. Here in the upcoming section, we will explain them step by step for your better understanding. Before moving ahead, let’s see the three manual methods to convert EDB to PST file format:
All of these manual methods are free, but they have certain limitations. Therefore, users need to be patient and educate themselves about the potential risks before running these solutions. However, we will explain each solution to users individually.
Method 1: Export through Ex-Merge Utility
Microsoft’s free utility exports EDB mailboxes to PST and imports PST mailboxes to EDB files. You can download the tool here. The main requirement is that Exchange mailboxes must have full export permissions for export.
This Ex-Merge Utility method has the following limitations:
- High risk of data loss during the process
- It can export data only up to 2GB.
- This manual method mostly supports the earlier Exchange versions.
- Lengthy as well as time-consuming process to convert EDB to PST.
- Download and start Ex-Merge utility. Click on Next to start.
- Under Procedure Selection, select the second Two-Step Procedure radio button and click ‘Next.
- Now, select the first option, Extract data from Exchange Server Mailbox and click on Next.
- In the Source Server window, provide your Exchange Server credentials like name, domain name, etc., and click Next to continue.
- In the Data Selection Criteria, switch to the Import tab and select the option Archive data to the target store. Click on OK.
- In the next window, select the EDB mailboxes for export and then click on Next.
- Next, in the Target Directory section, provide the destination path for the PST file at the system location. Click on Next to start the export process.
- You can see the progress of the export process. Once it is completed, click on Finish to exit the process.
- Hence, the export of EDB to PST is completed.
Method 2: Export through Exchange Admin Center
If you want to export EDB mailboxes of the latest Exchange Server versions to PST, there is another way for this. The Exchange Management Center facilitates export, for which users must provide a shared folder, and export permissions for the EDB mailboxes must be assigned.
To assign permissions, the user can go to Permissions → Administrator Roles → Recipient Management →. After that, add the Mailbox Import and Export role to the mailboxes.
- This manual method does not work on earlier Exchange versions.
- If users use this method for EDB to PST conversion they require good technical knowledge.
- There is a high risk of data deletion during the ongoing process.
- This manual technique fails in front of corrupt EDB mailboxes.
- Open > Exchange Admin Center on your system
- After that, follow recipient’s → mailboxes
- Now, Select mailboxes from the list the desired mailbox for export,
- Right-click on it and select the option Export to PST.
- Export to PST File window opens. Here you can add or change the EDB mailboxes using the search function.
- Choose between the specified export options. Click Next to continue.
- After that, browse and add the shared folder path to save the PST file. Then click on Next.
- In the last step you can add any mailbox to receive the notifications for the export process.
- After adding the mailbox, click Finish.
- The mailbox is successfully moved to this shared folder after the export is complete.
Method 3: Export through Exchange Management Shell commands
It is one of the most advanced techniques for exporting mailbox data from EDB to PST. This method can easily work on Exchange 2007 and higher versions. If users want to use it, then the user must have a shared folder for PST, and not only this, Mailbox Import and Export roles must be assigned to the mailboxes made available for export.
- A high level of technical expertise is required for handling the conversion process.
- If you have thousands of files, this task is very tedious.
- Does not work with damaged EDB mailboxes if you use this manual method for conversion.
Run this cmdlet in your Exchange Management Shell window (with administrative rights) to export the EDB mailbox to the PST location.
New-MailboxExportRequest -Mailbox -FilePath ” “<destination file path>”
Enter your EDB mailbox name in the mailbox and the path of the shared folder in the place of .
The export would be quick if the correct command were executed.
So now you know the manual solution to export EDB to PST using three different manual methods. We hope this information helps you. Find that these methods are unsatisfactory even after trying them, or you encounter difficulties due to the limitations associated with them. You can try an automated solution named Regain EDB to PST Converter for an instant and efficient EDB export. The best part about this tool is that it doesn’t have any of the above limitations, and it also has great compatibility with all Exchange Server and Outlook versions.
Convert EDB file to PST format by using Regain Software
- Download and install Regain EDB to PST Converter on your system
- Now, the home screen will open, ask you to select the input to start the conversion.
- Now, Select Exchange EDB files for scanning using the Search or Browse button and click the Next button below.
- When the EDB file has been selected, the software will start scanning the EDB file for conversion purposes.
- After the scanning process, the software will show you all the mailbox items of EDB files for cross-checking.
- Now select the desired file format to save the resultant EDB mailboxes. Here, you can also filter the EDB mailbox on a date basis and click the next.
- Finally, the software saves all your resultant EDB mailboxes into PST file format successfully at your selected location on the system.
- It is an optional option; using this option, user can easily migrate their EDB files to Office 365 Provide the account details and click Connect button.
- Here, you can also choose the Live Exchange Server option to migrate your EDB files to Live Exchange Server directly. Choose the option, fill in the credential and click Connect button.
This EDB to PST converter is the most trusted utility by administrative experts that helps users convert EDB files to PST format. It has advanced features that are safe and fast to perform the conversion on any version. The software not only does the conversion of EDB to PST file format, but it can also recover damaged and deleted files. The software also allows the user the free demo that can process the first 30 items per folder.
Benefits of EDB Converter tool:
- Complete the conversion of Exchange EDB Mailbox to PST format in just few steps.
- Option to convert Exchange Public and Private Folders to PST format.
- Recovery of Corrupt or Deleted Exchange Server Mailbox before converting to PST file format.
- Professionally Repair Corrupt / inaccessible EDB file
- Export EDB mailboxes to Live Exchange and Office365 directly without any risk of data loss.
- Shows preview of Exchange EDB mailbox items before conversion into other formats.
- Option to convert Exchange mailboxes into PST, HTML, MSG, MSG Unicode, CAL, vCard, etc.
- Free demo software to check product accuracy & quality; also save 30 emails/folder for free