Published On - October 13, 2023 by Armaan |Reading Time: 4 minutes
Summary: There have been many cases wherein users try to access their PST files on MS Outlook and despite that they cannot access it. But, don’t worry. We will here discuss the manual and professional solutions that will fix this error instantly.
We all know that MS Outlook saves the data on a real time basis in PST file format.. These PST files save everything from mails, calendars, journals to attachments and tasks. But at times, users complain that they are not able to access their PST files on MS Outlook. Every Time they try to open their PST files, a pop message comes up which says ‘MS Outlook PST is not Compatible’. This error is a serious issue as it can prevent you from accessing your information. Let us understand the reasons behind this error and the ways to fix this.
Causes behind the ‘MS Outlook PST is Not Compatible’ Error
MS Outlook PST file is not Compatible error is very common among MS Outlook users. This error occurs when users try to open a UNICODE PST File in an outdated version of MS Outlook that uses ANSI format. As a result, it is obvious that this error can be resolved only when you create a file in ANSI format which is supported by the version of MS Outlook that you are using. There are some other reasons behind this error as well:
- Outdated version of MS Outlook.
- The PST file is corrupted.
- The PST file is oversized.
- The PST file is in an unsupported format
Solutions to fix Outlook PST is not compatible error
There are many ways to fix this error. Let us discuss them one by one:
Convert the PST files to ANSI format
- Start with any version of MS Outlook from 2003 to 2016, let’s say 2010 and run it in your system.
- Once the program is running well, look for the File tab and click on it.
- Now, in the File’s menu, look for the Info option and select the Account Settings option from there.
- As you do that, an Account Settings window will open and there you need to select the Data File option.
- In the toolbar section of Data File click on the Add button.
- Now, as the next important step of creating a file, you provide a name to the file.
- From the Save as type drop-down box select Outlook 97-2002 Data File as the saving option and click on OK to proceed.
- Now, click on Yes to create in ANSI format.
- Finally, click on Close to finish it.
- Now, you will be back in the Outlook Navigation pane, there you can easily find the PST file you have just created. So, now it is the time to transfer all the data from the original PST.
- To transfer all the contents and items of the original PST to the newly created PST, all you need to do is drag and drop.
Use the Inbox Repair Tool
MS Outlook comes with an inbuilt repair tool, SCANPST.EXE. This tool helps to repair the corrupt PST files. Here are the steps that you need to follow for repairing through this tool:
- Open the Inbox Repair Tool (SCANPST.EXE). You will find this tool in the Microsoft Office folder.
- Select the PST file that you want to repair and click on the Start button. The tool will start scanning the file and look for any errors therein.
- If there are any errors, then click on Repair. Restart the application to see if the files can be accessed.
Convert PST files to a new format
- Open MS Outlook and then go to the File tab.
- Select Open & Export and then “Import/Export”.
- Choose ‘Export to a file’ and then select ‘Outlook Data File’
- Select the folders that you want to export and then choose a location to save the new .pst file.
- Select the Outlook Data File (.pst) option.
- The files would be converted to a new format.
Update MS Outlook
- You also need to check if your MS Outlook is not outdated. Open MS Outlook. Go to File. click on Update Options.
- If there are any updates, click on Update Now and restart the application. Try opening the PST file now.
- Open MS Outlook. Go to the File tab.
- Select Options and then go to Add-ins.
- Select the COM Add-ins from the dropdown and click on the Go button.
- Uncheck all add-ins and click on the OK button.
- Restart MS Outlook and try opening the PST file again.
Regain PST Recovery Tool – The best solution for every issue
The methods which have been discussed above are very complicated and tough. Definitely, they are not for beginners. But we have a professional tool which is very amazing and user-friendly. This Regain PST Recovery tool helps to directly repair the damaged and corrupt files. This tool helps to recover the permanently deleted files as well. This tool is easily able to repair multiple files irrespective of size. In fact, it can also repair the password-protected files with ease. It recovers the files and exports them to multiple file formats such as PST, MBOX, EML, MSG, EMLX and Cal. it also exports the files to Gmail, Yahoo Mail and Live Exchange Server. Clearly, there isn’t any better tool than this.
We have exhaustively covered every solution that will help you to fix the error of the incompatibility. We hope that all these solutions will allow you to access MS Outlook in a hassle free manner. If you still face any issue, then you can directly rely on the professional tool. So, you no longer have to suffer due to these technical errors.