Two Free Methods to Convert MBOX to PST File
Updated on February 18, 2023 by Armaan
Email accounts created with various email service providers may be accessed using web browsers and email client programs. The advantage of utilizing an email client is that you can attach several accounts to their supported email servers without entering login details each time you access them.
Whenever you wish to switch email clients, you should know that each email client uses a distinct data file to keep your inbox. In this article, we will look at various methods to convert MBOX files to Outlook PST file.
About MBOX File
MBOX is a universal file standard. It preserves a folder's worth of email messages in a database file. Additional messages are added at the file's end. Apple Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, PowerMail, etc. email clients store their mailboxes as MBOX files. Users use these popular email clients to handle their email correspondence.
- MBOX files preserve emails in consecutive order.
- There seems to be no built-in way of using a password with an MBOX file.
- Clients for MBOX files do not operate while you are not connected to the internet.
- MBOX consumers have minimal security options.
- MBOX clients do not support the majority of languages.
- Third-party add-ons are required to export MBOX files.
About MS Outlook PST File
A personal storage table (PST) document is a file used by Microsoft applications to store calendar activities, contact information, and emails. PST files are used by Microsoft products such as the Microsoft Exchange Client, Windows Messaging, and Microsoft Outlook. Microsoft Outlook is the best option if a company needs an email client that offers more than just email correspondence.
- PST files may be individually produced in Outlook by exporting.
- Outlook allows you to work offline.
- PST files systematically save emails, connections, schedules of events, notes, projects, archives, and so on in different folders.
- The PST file can be password-protected.
- Outlook has more language support than MBOX clients.
- MS Outlook has improved security measures to safeguard PST files.
Why convert MBOX File to Outlook PST File?
Few reasons why users prefer to migrate from MBOX files to MS Outlook PST file:
- MS Outlook has better control, is easy to use, and has high-security features for emails and attachments such as Anti-spam, password-protection like encoding email for security purposes, data loss prevention, etc., and is more cost-efficient than Email clients that support MBOX files.
- There is a need for an internet connection to perform tasks with MBOX files. In MS Outlook, users have the flexibility to work in Offline Mode.
- Issues like file locking in MBOX that restricts users from opening files encounters frequently.
- MBOX file stores only email messages. PST files store all emails, journals, contacts, tasks, calendars, notes, and other mailbox items.
- PST file stores mailbox data in separate folders like Inbox, Sent items, Calendars, Contacts, etc. MBOX file stores emails and attachments in a sequential manner in a single text file.
- MS Outlook is designed for Exchange connectivity, while other email clients lack this aspect. Outlook supports all Exchange versions, including Exchange 2019 and all Office 365/Microsoft 365 plans.
- MS Outlook is updated periodically to meet the new communication requirements. MBOX and its email clients are not updated periodically.
- To export a data file, Thunderbird requires third-party add-ons, whereas Outlook can export without needing any add-on in either PST or CSV file.
- MS Outlook auto-archives emails without moving the emails deliberately. In Thunderbird, you need to create a new folder and move emails into it.
- MS Outlook supports 96 languages.
- One PST file is created for one email account, thus ensuring proper identity to the user, and doesn’t involve mixing more than one account mailboxes.
- PST file is best in terms of portability. User data is secure and compact with no loss in terms of corruption or any other error issues.
Two Free methods to convert MBOX files to Outlook PST files
Method 1: Convert MBOX to PST by using EML files
This manual method discusses saving the necessary MBOX emails in EML format and exporting the files to Outlook using the "Import/Export" functionality. We have separated the methods into 4 simple steps. Most email clients that support the MBOX format also support the EML format. Here we are using Thunderbird email client to convert mbox to pst file.
Step 1: Save MBOX Emails as EML files
- 1. Make a new folder and move MBOX file elements into it.
- 2. Use the MBOX email program and right-click on any mailbox directory.
- 3. To make a new folder, choose New Folder, give it a title, and click "Create Folder."
- 4. Copy and paste or drag and drop the MBOX emails to the newly-created folder which you want to convert mbox to eml.
Step 2: Save newly created folder emails into EML file format:
- 1. Right-click on all emails in the newly-created folder and choose all MBOX files for converting.
- 2. Select the "Save as" option to save emails in EML format
- 3. Browse and select the location where the converted EML files you want to save.
Step 3: Export EML files to Outlook PST files
- 1. Launch Outlook. Navigate to File → Open & Export. Click the Import/Export option.
- 2. In Import and Export Wizard, select Export to a file → click Next.
- 3. Select Outlook data file (.pst) → click Next.
- 4. From the folders, choose the folder containing the EML files → click Next.
- 5. Click Browse to select the saving location for the PST file, check the option to manage duplicate objects, and then click Finish.
Method 2: Convert MBOX to PST by Using Multiple Email Clients
This process requires multiple email clients to manually perform the MBOX to PST file conversion process.
Step 1: Import mailbox data into Apple Mail
- 1. Run Apple Mail in your system.
- 2. Navigate to File → click the "Import Mailboxes" option.
- 3. Select Files in MBOX format → click Continue.
- 4. Navigate to the directory where you saved the source MBOX file, select it, → click Choose to continue.
- 5. Read the guidelines in the existing window, and click Done to generate mailbox data.
Step 2: Create mailbox Using Eudora Email Client
- 1. Rename and append the .mbx extension to the imported MBOX file (for instance, test.mbx).
- 2. Navigate to C:/Documents and Settings user
- 3. Launch the Eudora application and choose the test.mbx file to check its presence as a mailbox.
Step 3: Import mailbox Using Outlook Express
- 1. Launch Outlook Express.
- 2. Navigate to File → Import → Messages.
- 3. Choose Eudora → click Next.
- 4. Navigate to the MBOX file, test.mbx → click OK. To proceed, click Next → Next → Finish.
- 5. The MBOX file might be saved in Outlook Express's local storage.
Step 4: Import Mailbox from Outlook Express to MS Outlook
Use Outlook's import capability to move an Outlook Express file to MS Outlook.
- 1. Launch Outlook. Navigate to File → Import → Import and Export.
- 2. In the Import and Export dialog box, select Import Internet Mail and Addresses option → click Next.
- 3. Select Outlook Express 4.x, 5.x, 6.x, or Windows Mail, as well as the other import options → click Next.
- 4. When the import is finished, the MBOX file gets converted to Outlook PST.
Limitations of Manual MBOX to Outlook PST Conversion
A few limitations of manually convert MBOX files to Outlook PST file are:
- An indirect, complex, and time-taking process.
- It can cause data alteration, high chances of loss of email data and email properties, loss of data integrity, MBOX folder structure, SMTP header corruption, or loss.
- Requires high-level technical expertise and granular knowledge.
- Does not support the conversion of multiple MBOX files to Outlook PST files in a single go.
- During MBOX to Outlook PST conversion, there is a requirement for one or more email applications to implement the conversion.
About Regain MBOX to PST Converter Software
Regain MBOX to PST Converter software is a professional solution to efficiently convert data from MBOX files to Microsoft Outlook PST. The software supports converting MBOX files generated through more than 20 email clients such as Thunderbird, Apple Mail, Entourage, Eudora, Opera Mail, Spicebird, Evolution, Mulberry, Netscape, Poco Mail, Postbox, etc.
The tool allows users to convert MBOX files into PST, EML, MSG, PDF, HTML, EMLX, and MHTML file formats. Also, the tool allows migrating MBOX files into Office 365 accounts, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, GoDaddy, Amazon Workmail, Outlook.com, and Live Exchange Server.
Regain MBOX to PST Converter Software Features:
- Allows adding and converting multiple and large-sized MBOX files into Outlook PST files in a single go.
- Displays a preview of the added MBOX files before converting them to other supported file formats or moving to the cloud server.
- Converts MBOX files to Outlook PST files while maintaining the file integrity, folder hierarchy, email properties, and formatting.
- The tool has a Split PST file feature to make the resultant PST files manageable.
- Offers a self-descriptive, easy-to-use, easy-to-understand, user-friendly graphical user interface so that even novice users can perform the MBOX to PST file conversion without assistance.
- Available as a free evaluation version to let users check its capabilities before deciding to purchase the license.
How MBOX to PST Converter Software works?
Follow the below steps to convert MBOX files to Outlook PST files:
- 1. Launch Regain MBOX to PST Converter software.
- 2. Click Browse to select MBOX files for conversion to PST file format or click Add MBOX File Folder to add multiple MBOX files in a single go. Click Next to proceed.
- 3. The software displays a preview of all the scanned items of MBOX file.
- 4. Select added MBOX files from the left pane and click Export.
- 5. Click Browse to select a destination location and select PST as a saving options.
- 6. Check Split PST by Size if you want to split PST file after a selected size (in GB).
- 7. The software starts converting the selected MBOX file to Outlook PST file and displays a live log report with detailed information. The generated live log report can be saved for future reference.
This article discusses the manual methods for MBOX to PST file conversion. However, both the manual methods are time-taking and do not ensure accurate conversion of MBOX files to Outlook PST file. It is highly recommended to use a third-party MBOX Converter software for accurate conversion of MBOX files to Microsoft Outlook PST file. Give the MBOX to PST Converter tool a try by downloading the available demo version for free and checking its capabilities for free of cost. Once satisfied with the software’s performance, you can purchase the license.