Updated On - August 24, 2023 by Nasir Khan |Reading Time: 4 minutes
There are many users who want to upload their Outlook PST files to Office 365 platform. This blog will discuss PST and Office 365 in detail and learn how to upload PST files to Office 365 without any trouble quickly. If you are also looking to upload your PST file to Office 365, believe me truly that you are on the right page because today we will discuss this topic.
In today’s modern data messaging architecture, MS Office 365 provides its users various advantages, through which users can do their work from anywhere, as long as they have an internet connection. Because of which many businesses and organizations are attracted to Office 365. Therefore, Office 365 remains the focus of attention in the online world nowadays.
Concern about PST
- It is not centrally managed, due to which it is very tricky to confirm – how many PST files are exist in the infrastructure and where they are located.
- There is a risk of data loss, file corruption and also it reduces the speed of Outlook.
- It involves major security risks as the Portability of PST exposes organizations to data leakage and is also susceptible to malware.
- If we talk about its security, password-protected files are not safe as even a moderately skilled attacker can unlock the PST using well-known tools.
Related Blog: How to Import OST to Office 365
2 Manual Ways to Upload PST to Office 365:
There are two ways to upload your PST to Office 365 – you can use either a manual method or a third party tool to upload PST to Office 365; you should know about both methods before you reach any decision. So let’s get to know about both the methods in detail.
Manual Method 1. Using Microsoft Office 365 Import Services:
- First, go to the File, click on the given Open option, and click on the Import option.
- Now, go into the Import and Export Wizard, click Import from another program or file, and hit the Next button.
- Here, you need to click on Outlook data file (.pst) and click on the Next button.
- Now, you need to set the options for importing the Items; usually, there is no need to change the default setting.
- Now, just click on the Finish button.
This process may seem easy to you, but it has many limitations, which we will discuss later.
Manual Method 2. Using Network Upload Method:
Step 1: Copy SAS URL and install Azure AzCopy
- First, install the AzureAzcopy tool on your system and upload PST or copy SAS URL.
- Follow https://protection.office.com/ and sign in to your Office 365 admin account.
- Click Data Governance on the left pane of the Security and Compliance Center >> click Import.
- The import page will open up; click on the Import PST files option >> select + New Import job.
- Select the name for PST import job >> click Next.
- From Import Job Type page, select data option >> click Next.
- See the import data page on the screen, copy the secure storage key >> Download Azure AzCopy tool, now, see pop-up window appeared on the screen.
- Click run >> to install AzCopy.
Step2: Upload PST file to Office 365
- Open the command prompt as an administrator on your system.
- Now, simply open the directory where >> Azure AzCopy tool is installed.
- Run the command which is given below to upload the PST file.
AzCopy.exe.Source :< Location of PST files>/ Dest:<SASURL>/V:<Log file location>/ Y
Step3: Create the PST Import mapping file
Once the PST file has been successfully uploaded to Azure Storage Location, create a CSV file in the mailboxes account after uploading Outlook data file.
- Download a sample PST import mapping file.
- Open/Save CSV files on a notepad or excels, and edit according to your needs.
Step4: Create PST Import job in Office 365
- After completing the creation mapping file, create a PST import job in Office 365. For this, follow the procedure in step 1.
- Now, on the Import data page appeared >> Click on the option “I’m done uploading my files and I have access to the mapping file” >> click Next
- Upload the CSV mapping file created in step 3. >> click Validate to verify job file
- After verifying the job, submit the job >> click Save button >> click close.
After following all the above steps, your PST file is uploaded to Office 365 successfully; check the Office 365 account to open the files.
Limitations of Manual Method:
- As you can see, the manual way is very long and tricky due to which it takes you lots of time.
- You will need the technical expertise to import your PST to Office 365 manually.
- The manual process creates higher chances of human error, a single error that can lead to data loss.
- Manual method fails to upload oversized PST files to Office 365.
- If you fail to upload a PST file with a manual process, then in the next attempt, the scenario of duplicity will appear.
Professional Tool offered by Regain Software:
After discussing the manual method in detail, all of you must have known how complex and confusing this manual method is. So now, we will discuss another way to upload PST to Office 365 cloud platform as a third-party tool. By the way, you will find many third-party tools in the online market. But we would advise you to choose only Regain PST to Office 365 Migration tool as it is also very economical and designed with user-centric features. As you can see, the features are given below:
- You can import PST to Office 365 Admin and User account easily.
- Allows filter option for selective migration of PST to Office 365
- Does not have any PST file limitation to import to Office 365.
- Performs migration, category-wise, such as emails, contacts, calendars and tasks.
- User-friendly interface; even novice users can easily run the process.
- Maintains an original hierarchy of Outlook data while uploading PST to Office 365
- Allows you to import PST to Live Exchange Server with ease.
- Shows you the preview of all email folders in its preview panel.
- Support all the versions of MS Outlook and Windows OS.
- It provides you Free Trial Version in which you can save up to 30 emails/folders.