Published On - November 28, 2022 by Nasir Khan |Reading Time: 6 minutes
You’re not alone if you’re having trouble connecting Outlook to Office 365. Many users have reported this issue, and it can be frustrating. Luckily, you can try a few things to get Outlook up and running again. This blog post will cover some of the most common solutions to fix Outlook not connecting to Office 365 issue.
If you are having trouble connecting your Microsoft Outlook email client to Office 365, there are a few things you can do to try and fix the issue. Many times, simply restarting your computer or uninstalling and reinstalling the Outlook program will resolve the problem. If that doesn’t work, there may be an issue with your Office 365 account or the settings you are using to connect to the service.
What causes Outlook not connecting to Office 365?
Several things can cause Outlook not to connect to Office 365. The most common are:
- A faulty internet connection
- Incorrect DNS settings
- The Office 365 server is down
- Your administrator has disabled your account
- You are not using the correct Office 365 email address or password
How to fix Outlook not connecting to Office 365?
If you encounter, the error message “Outlook cannot connect to Office 365,” try one of the solutions listed below. Any version of Outlook from 2007 to 2019 can use these techniques. You should always make a copy of your OST files before beginning any new method. That way, you can rest easy knowing that you have a copy of your data stored safely away, just in case something unforeseen happens.
Method1: Make Sure That You Are Connected to The Internet and Restart Your Computer
Outlook cannot establish an Internet connection if there is a momentary problem with any of the many processes operating in the background every time you use a PC.
A simple reboot may do wonders for a computer. It terminates all running programmes and resolves several associated issues. It can repair Windows and other software if it encounters a problem. Therefore, boot up your machine as a first step. Then, fire up Outlook and double-check that you’re connected to the web.
If you still get the same error message and Outlook can’t establish a connection to the server, try the following method.
Method 2: Disable Add-Ins
Unreliable or incompatible add-ins for Outlook could prevent the programme from establishing a connection with the Exchange server. It is possible that a malfunctioning plugin is to blame for the error, therefore try these solutions:
- Press the Windows key plus R, type Outlook /safe, and finally, press the Enter key or click “OK” to launch Outlook in safe mode.
- Next, click on File tab and choose the Options.
- Select “Add-Ins,” and then hit the “Go” button.
- Uncheck the Add-ins checkbox and hit “OK.”
- At last, launch Outlook in Normal mode once more.
Start activating add-ons one by one and make a note of the Outlook error until the problem disappears. This will help you identify problematic plugins so you can disable them.
Open Outlook and see if the problem resolve; if not, move on to the next solution.
Method 3: Get the most recent version of Outlook and install it.
- Select ‘File’ in Outlook’s menu bar’s upper left-hand corner.
- Select “Office Account” from the menu bar.
- In the right pane, under the heading ‘Office Updates,’ select Update Options, and then click Update Now.
If the “Outlook cannot connect to office 365” error persists after you’ve applied the latest Update, you’ll know it’s time to attempt a different approach.
Method 4: Reinstall Microsoft Office on Your Computer
Corrupt or damaged Outlook or Office application files are another common sources of connectivity problems. To resolve this issue, repair or reinstall Microsoft Office.
This is how you fix Microsoft Office if it has already been installed on your computer:
- Go to control panel and select Uninstall an application.
- Select Microsoft Office, and then hit “Change.”
- Hit the “Repair” and “Continue” buttons to fix Microsoft Office.
Launch Microsoft Outlook immediately. Reinstalling Microsoft Office is another option if this does not fix Outlook’s inability to establish a connection to the server.
Here’s how to remove Microsoft Office and reinstall it:
- After downloading the support tool, launch Office and delete it.
- The next thing to do is click the “Install” button.
- Following the setup, you can access Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant.
- Click “I Agree.”
- Select the version of Office you wish to remove and Click “Next”.
- Restart your computer and then use the included MS Office Uninstall Wizard to remove Office from your computer altogether.
- The programme will reopen on its own to finish the removal.
- Pick the MS Office version you want to install and carry on with the setup.
Method5, Recreate or Rebuild OST files
If none of the above methods resolves the issue, you can attempt rebuilding the OST file that contains your Outlook data. The existing OST file can be replaced by a new one, relocated, or renamed to achieve this.
C:UsersUsernameAppDataLocalMicrosoftOutlookost.ost is the typical location for the OST file.
However, the OST file’s location can change from one version of Outlook to another. To learn more, read our tutorial on where to look for the OST file.
Resetting your computer is the best way to get rid of most issues. One option is to make a copy and save it. The “outlook cannot connect to office 365” error can be remedied by the methods described below.
- Start Windows Update: If you are using an outdated version of either the Outlook client or Windows itself, you may encounter problems sending and receiving emails. Windows Update can help you get the most recent versions of Outlook and the other Microsoft 365 desktop apps.
- Do a Microsoft 365 Health Check: Microsoft’s diagnostic tools might help you determine what’s causing your network problems. Diagnostics perform automatic checks to identify issues and recommend courses of action. Select Run Tests: Outlook User Connectivity to download and execute the diagnostic. For this function, you’ll need a Microsoft 365 administrator’s login.
- Modify Your Outlook Information: Open Outlook for Windows to make changes to your account. To access your personal information, go to the File menu, sign in to your Office account, go to the User Information tab, and click About Me. Clicking this link will open your Office 365 profile in a new tab or window in your browser. To make changes to your profile, you can now do so.You can also update your profile through Outlook on the Web (OWA) by going to Profile image, My profile, and Update profile.
- Fixing Outlook Profiles: If you’re receiving an Outlook error message that you can’t connect to the server, the PST file may be corrupt. For this reason, you need to repair your PST files.
The best way to repair corrupt PST files is using an automated tool like Regain Outlook PST recovery tool. The tool specially coded for this task and is recommended by serval professionals. You can get more about this solution for free from here.
You should contact a reputable technical support service for assistance if you’ve tried everything we’ve suggested and Outlook still won’t connect to Office 365. With the assistance of tech pros and automated solution, you can easily and quickly resolve the issue.