Updated On - November 22, 2023 by Nasir Khan |Reading Time: 7 minutes
Summary: Have you ever come across an Outlook error 0x8004010f? If yes, then you would definitely realize how frustrating it is to find your MS Outlook collapse. But there is nothing to worry about as here we will discuss the causes and the solutions to this error.
MS Outlook has become the most common email client to work on. We are dependent on this email client to fulfill our professional commitments to such an extent that whenever it collapses, our entire work comes to a standstill. It is a common experience for the MS Outlook users to come across multiple failures. This happens because MS Outlook is on the web and it is definitely vulnerable to various errors and threats. MS Outlook error 0x8004010f is one such kind. This error ‘MS Outlook data file cannot be accessed‘ is common especially when Exchange Server and the MS Outlook are not able to synchronize with each other. Let us know more about this type of error.
What is MS Outlook error 0x8004010f?
MS Outlook is known for having a robust mechanism of saving data. All the data in the mailbox get saved in the format of OST file format. These OST files are saved on local drive. They synchronize with MS Outlook on a real time basis and allow the users to work offline if MS Outlook is down. As a result, users can work offline and save their information as soon as the connection with the Exchange Server is restored. However, if MS Outlook and Exchange Server fail to synchronize with each other, then it becomes difficult for the users to access the OST files. This is where the users come across the MS Outlook error 0x8004010f – MS Outlook data file cannot be accessed.
Reasons for the 0x8004010f error
Here are some other common reasons behind this error. Let us explore some of them.
- Network issues or connectivity problems can cause this error.
- Damaged or Corrupt OST files can be reason behind this cause.
- Issues with installation of MS Outlook
Now that we know the reasons behind this error, let us look at the common solutions one by one.
Solutions for fixing Outlook 0x8004010f error
Here are some of the commonly used solutions that will help the users to fix MS Outlook error 0x8004010f.
Locate the OST Data Files
- Launch MS Outlook.
- Click on File. Go to Account Settings and click on Account Settings.
- In Account Settings, go to the Data Files tab and note the name and location of the default Outlook data file (the default data file always have a check mark before it). Click Close.
Create a new profile in MS Outlook
Many times your profile in MS Outlook can get damaged. In such a situation, you will have to create a new profile. Here are the steps that you need to follow for this.
- Go to Control Panel. Then click Mail. It will open Mail Setup – Outlook window.
- In Mail Setup – Outlook window, click the Show Profiles button.
- In the Mail dialogue box, click Add and then click on OK.
- Input a new Profile Name in the New Profile window. Then click OK.
- Input your user credentials in the Add Account window and click Next. The account is created.
- Check the ‘Change account settings’ checkbox and then click ‘Next’.
- Now select the old profile and click Remove.
- Then click ‘Always use this profile’ radio button and select the new profile name from the dropdown.
- Click OK.
The above method is an auto account method to set up a new MS Outlook profile. You can also manually set up the MS Outlook profile with the help of the steps given below.
Manual method to create a new MS Outlook profile
- Open Control Panel. Click on Mail.
- Click on Show Profiles. Click on Add.
- Type the Profile name and click OK.
- In Add Account, select the Manual setup or additional server types option. Then click Next.
- In Choose Service, select POP or IMAP to connect to a POP or IMAP account and click Next.
- In POP and IMAP Account Settings, input your account details. Under Deliver messages to, select Existing Outlook Data File. Click Browse and, select the Outlook data file of the previous account and click OK. Then click Next.
- In the Test Account Settings.
- Select Existing Outlook Data File option and click Browse to select existing PST file.
- Click on OK and then click on Finish.
Set the new MS Outlook profile as default.
You can now make your newly create MS Outlook profile as default with the help of the following steps.
- Go to Control panel and click Mail.
- Now click on Show Profiles in the Mail Setup – Outlook.
- Then in the Mail window select the newly created profile, click Properties.
- In the Mail Setup window, click on Email Accounts.
- In the Account Settings window, go to Data File and then click Set as Default. Click Close.
Repair OST file with the help of inbuilt tool
At times, a damaged or corrupt OST file can be the reason behind this error. You can now repair such files with the help of the inbuilt repair tool of MS Outlook. Follow the steps to use this tool.
- Navigate to the following location to find and launch SCANPST.EXE:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\OfficeXX\
- Now click ‘Browse’ and select the OST file. The default OST file location is:
- Click on Start. The tool will automatically find the errors. Click on the Repair button to fix this error.
- Restart MS Outlook to check if the error is fixed.
Repair MS Outlook
If there is any error with the installation of MS Outlook, it will not work. That is why you can try to repair that once with the help of the following steps:
- Open Control Panel and click on Programs and then go to Programs and Features.
- Find and click on Microsoft Office.
- Click Change.
- Click on Repair and Continue. The wizard to repair MS Outlook will start running.
- Open MS Outlook once again and see if the error has been resolved.
Regain OST file Recovery: The Best Solution
The methods that we have explained above are lengthy and time consuming. Users may not be able to execute them properly. Also, in some situations, the OST files are so damaged that they cannot be repaired with the help of the solutions mentioned above. This Regain OST File Recovery tool is very helpful to repair the excessively damaged OST files. This tool automatically repairs the damaged files and recovers them without losing any data. It helps to retain its structure as well. Here are some of the amazing feature of this tool.
- Fixes damaged OST and PST files.
- Helps to retrieve permanently deleted data.
- Works well with all the versions of Windows OS
- Allow OST to PST Conversion and Cloud migration as well such as OST to Office 365, OST to Gmail and many more.
- Compatible with all the versions of MS Outlook.
- Helps to sort data irrespective of the size and number.
Best tips to avoid this error
Here are some of the tips that the users should always bear in mind for avoiding this error.
- Always backup your MS Outlook database regularly.
- Keep your database regularly updated.
- Always rely on a good antivirus software.
We have explained many solutions which can be relied by users whenever they face this error. But if you are looking forward to get rid of this error is the simplest way then Regain OST recovery tool is the best solution available.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ques1. Can an antivirus program also cause the Outlook error 0x8004010f; Outlook data file cannot be accessed?
Ans. An antivirus program is a probable reason for the Outlook error 0x8004010f. You can cross-check by turning off the antivirus program for some instances and then verify the reason.
Ques2. Should I create a new Outlook profile in a manner to get rid of the Outlook data file can’t access issue?
Ans. Outlook profile also gets damaged over the period. A number of reasons are there that corrupt Outlook profile. A corrupted Outlook profile leads to several Outlook issues, and Outlook error 0x8004010f is one of them.
Ques3. I have a corrupt OST file and tried to recover OST files manually but failed. Will this OST Recovery Tool from Regain Software be able to recover them?
Ans. The manual way only recovers the simple issues but fails to resolve severely corrupted OST files. The software is mastered in recovering severely corrupted OST files. You can also try the demo version to confirm it.
Ques4. After recovering OST files, can I convert them into PST file format and open it with Outlook?
Ans. Yes, you can recover the OST files and convert them into PST file format. After converting into PST file format, you can make your data portable and access it in Outlook by adding the PST file.