Published On - December 18, 2023 by Prakriti Malsuni |Reading Time: 5 minutes
Most email users are well introduced to Microsoft Outlook and its efficiency as an email client. Many users use Outlook by keeping Exchange Server as the collaboration and over the period when users get a lot of data in Outlook folder and then need to copy Outlook folders to the Desktop. If you also have the same need, this write-up is for you!
Why Do Users Want to Copy Outlook Folder to Desktop?
The answer to why varies from user to user as per the need. Some of the common ones are:
- Many users keep a copy of the Outlook folder’s data for backup purposes.
- To archive some Outlook data not frequently used, users also archive Outlook folders to their Desktop to free up space.
- Accessibility is also a reason behind having data on the Desktop. With data on the Desktop, users can access and view data even without network connectivity.
How to Copy Outlook Folders to Desktop?
There are a few ways to get Outlook folders on the Desktop. If you have only a few pieces of data to move to a personal PC, you can proceed with the manual method. If you have a large amount of data and need a professional way for it, this write-up also explains it.
Manual Way to Move Outlook Folders to the Local Storage:
- Open Outlook, go to the File menu, and Open & Export >> Import/Export.
- Select the Export to a file in the Import and Export Wizard and click Next.
- Select the Outlook Data File (.pst) option and hit Next.
- At this point, you have to select the Outlook folder (you can also include subfolders). Click on the Next.
- Using the Browse button, provide the location to save the Outlook folder. Keep Desktop as the location per the blog title, or simply change it as needed.
Things You Should Be Aware Before Moving for Manual Way:
- The manual way is available for free, but it is not free from drawbacks and limitations. There are some disadvantages associated with this, some of them are:
- If you have a large amount of data to copy/move, then the manual method will consume much time.
- You will not get the facility to specify the items.
- Technical expertise is necessary for the error-less process of copying Outlook folders to a desktop.
- You will not get advanced options like search, filter, and other file formats to save the Outlook folders on the Desktop.
- If the process gets interrupted, then you have to start it from the very beginning, and it creates a duplicity of data.
A Professional Way to Copy Outlook Folder to Desktop:
No professional wants to mess with the manual steps to copy Outlook Folders to a Desktop. As emails are an integral part of professional life, hence, users want to handle email conversion proficiently. For the same, Regain Software has developed an advanced Email Backup Software that offers multiple facilities to users. Some of them are:
- Along with Outlook.com, this utility works for all email clients using the IMAP.
- This utility offers backup in multiple file formats like PST, MBOX, MSG, EML as welll as EMLX et cetera.
- It also takes a backup of attachments with the email body.
- This professional tool allows you to resume the process, in other words; pause and start features.
- Similarly it properly maintains the integrity of data and folder hierarchy originality.
- There are no limitations on the Outlook folder size and number of items within it.
- Users can easily copy Outlook folders to a desktop, which is very easy to run because of its easy GUI.
- It is compatible with all Windows OS versions; hence no need to worry about software compatibility.
Simple Steps for Outlook Folder Backup:
- First, install and launch the Regain Outlook/ Hotmail.com backup Tool.
- Now, enter the credentials to log in. i.e., username and password.
- Now, the software will connect with Outlook and show the preview of the items within the folder.
- In the Next step, simply select the file format you want to take the data backup. Also, provide the location where the resultant files will be saved. According to the blog title, select the Desktop or as per the requirement.
- The process to copy Outlook Folder to Desktop will start and you will get a completion message as the process completes.
This write-up discussed the scenario of copying an Outlook folder to a desktop. A manual process using the Outlook Import/Export facility is also explained. Moreover, a highly advanced tool developed by Regain Software is explained in full detail. If you have data stored in the OST file format and want to save in a portable format like PST, then use OST to PST Converter utility. A free demo version of this utility is also available to download. Users also get free technical support from experts with this professional tool. You must download the tool and experience it for free.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q1. Is this tool also able to back up email attachments along with the body?
A. Yes, this utility saves Outlook emails and attachments without any error. Users get the same copy as in the original.
Q2. What will be the folder structure and folder hierarchy after saving the Outlook folder to the Desktop?
A. The tool properly maintains the folder structure and folder hierarchy. Moreover, it doesn’t alter the original data structure and preserves the integrity.
Q3. If I copy the Outlook folder on the Desktop in PST file format, can I open it again in Outlook?
A. After having a copy of the Outlook folder in PST file format, users can easily add PST files to any Outlook account and view them. Moreover, you can port it to any other location using any hard drive or other mode.
Q4. I am not technical; will I be able to complete this task independently?
A. The motive behind this software is to make this process easy for all. Its user-friendly GUI makes it a cakewalk process. If you still need any technical assistance, feel free to contact us. Our technical support executives are available round-the-clock to assist you.