Updated On - November 3, 2022 by Henry Bray |Reading Time: 3 minutes
Today, in this blog, we will discuss how to convert NSF to PST files manually and with a third-party tool; as you know, both HCL Lotus Notes and Microsoft Outlook are popular email clients that companies across the world are using. But there is a difference between these two emails clients, where NSF (Notes Storage Facility) is a file extension used by Lotus Notes, whereas Microsoft Outlook uses PST file format to store data. Nowadays, many users are switching from Lotus Notes to Outlook, seeing the changes in their business requirements and market. There are many reasons behind the conversion of the NSF file to PST format.
Reasons Why user export data from Lotus Notes NSF to PST file:
- Lotus Notes is more costly than Microsoft Outlook.
- The Lotus Notes needs high technical expertise to run it.
- On Outlook, users can perform various tasks at one time. But, Lotus Notes does not perform multiple tasks.
- MS Outlook provides a wide range of advanced technical features and security services to its users compared to Lotus Notes.
Now you will know from the points given above why users need to move from Lotus Notes to MS Outlook.
Manual Ways to Convert NSF to PST files:
The manual method to import NSF data to Outlook is a technically enhanced solution that can easily import your NSF file to PST format. The manual process has a higher chance of data loss, so it is suggested to you that before using the manual method, you should take a backup of your NSF database to secure your data for future use.
Related Post: How to Migrate Lotus Notes mailbox to Outlook PST file?
Use Import/Export Method
This process is divided into two different categories; first, you have to export all your mailboxes from the Lotus Notes environment. Then, it would help if you imported the entire exported mailbox from Lotus Notes to Outlook.
Export Notes Mailboxes: To export your mailboxes from Lotus Notes, you are required to follow these simple steps and perform a process –
- First, you open Lotus Notes and Go to Mail
- Select File from it and click on EXPORT option.
- When you click on the Export option, a window will open in front of you with the name of Export Wizard, from where you have to choose any option from Tabular Text or Structured Text format. After, that click the Continue button till the process of exporting is complete.
Note: you can select any one option because Outlook supports both options.
- After completing the export process, you just need to click Export to end the wizard.
Import Notes Mailboxes: once the exported process gets completed successfully, you are further required to follow the below steps to import the Lotus Notes Mailboxes –
- First of all, you need to open Microsoft Outlook.
- Then go to the file and click on Import and Export option.
- Now, you need to click on Next to open the Import and Export.
- Here, you are required to select the format in which you want to export the data.
- Now, Click on the Next button and Browse the exported file from Lotus Notes.
- Until this export process completes, you are required to repeat this process with all.
Drawback: It will consume lots of time to export your large-size mailboxes.
- The manual process does not guarantee you a successful conversion of the NSF file to PST format because it does not convert the calendar entries.
- In a manual process, there are high chances of failure due to various human errors.
- With the migration of manual processes, there is a high threat of data loss.
- This process is very time-consuming, as it can only export one NSF file in one run.
- It has expensive setting up costs as well.
Professional tool to convert NSF to PST files
If you are looking for NSF to PST converter tool to migrate from HCL Lotus Notes to Outlook, we can provide you with another easy and quick solution. We recommend Regain NSF to PST converter software to convert your NSF file to PST format. We have shown some features of this software below, which will be clear to you after viewing why choosing Regain NSF to PST converter is better.
- Converts complete data from Lotus Notes to Outlook (.pst) files format.
- Easily exports your Lotus Notes NSF files without any loss of data.
- Converts all emails along with attachments, such as images, documents, etc.
- It has the option to split PST file, which is exported by Lotus Notes.
- Provides email filter option for selective conversion.
- It is very quick and fast, consuming your lots of time during conversion.
- Preview of convertible Lotus Notes emails in the preview panel.
- Allows you to convert NSF files to PST, MBOX, EML, MSG, EMLX, and vCard format.
- It does not require any higher technical skill to run it.