Updated On - November 10, 2023 by Armaan |Reading Time: 7 minutes
In this write-up, we will discuss converting NSF to PST files manually and with a third-party tool. We know that both HCL Notes (formerly Lotus Notes) and Microsoft Outlook are popular email clients that are being used all over the globe. However, there is a difference between these two email clients, where NSF (Notes Storage Facility) is a file format used by Lotus Notes, Microsoft Outlook uses PST (Personal Storage Table), and OST (Offline Storage Table) file format to store data.
Many users are switching from Lotus Notes to Outlook, seeing the changes in their business requirements and market. There are many reasons behind the conversion of NSF files to PST format. Stuck with the blog till the end and convert your NSF files to Outlook PST file format effortlessly.
Reasons that initiate users to convert NSF to PST file:
The reason to prompt users to export from NSF to PST file format varies from user to user. However, some common causes that trigger users to move from Lotus Notes to Outlook are listed below.
- Being a product of Microsoft, users found Outlook more convenient in terms of presence and availability. Outlook is also a part of Microsoft 365.
- No one can neglect the price comparison as cost-efficiency is a measure that remains the basis of all comparisons. When compared, using MS Outlook is more cost-effective than Lotus Notes.
- The applications we use become familiar, and we find them easier than others. However, if we compare user-friendliness and ease, Outlook is more convenient and easier to use than Lotus Notes. The Lotus Notes needs high technical expertise to run it.
- On Outlook, users can perform various tasks at one time. But Lotus Notes does not perform multiple tasks. In other words, you can add multiple accounts to Outlook, which is not possible with Lotus Notes.
- Outlook offers offline availability of the mailboxes, while this is not possible with the Lotus Notes.
- MS Outlook provides its users with a wide range of advanced technical features and security services compared to Lotus Notes.
So, these were some common causes that initiated users to migrate from Lotus Notes to Outlook. However, whatever the reasons, solutions are available in this blog.
What are the available ways to convert NSF to PST Files?
Simply, we can say there are two ways for this conversion: one is using manual tricks and methodologies, and another is using a professional tool. Let’s know about both in a detailed manner:
Manual Ways to Convert NSF to PST files:
The manual method to import NSF data to PST format is a technically enriched solution that can convert your NSF files to PST format. The manual process has a higher chance of data loss, so before using the manual method, you should take a backup of your Lotus Notes database to secure your data for future use.
Use Import/Export Method
This process is divided into two categories; first, you must import all your mailboxes from the Lotus Notes environment. We will export NSF CSV files and then export CSV to Outlook. Let’s know in detail:
Phase 1: Importing NSF to CSV file format
- Firstly, install the Lotus Notes application (if you haven’t yet).
- Now click on the File, then Open> Lotus Notes Application.
- A window will open. Browse the desired NSF files and click the Open.
- The selected File will open; click on the Export.
- While exporting, provide the file name and file location.
- The crucial step is to select the comma-separated value as the desired file format.
- A dialog box named “CSV Export” will open. Here, provide the inputs as per your requirement. The questions are: How Much to Export (all documents or make a specific selection.), the same for the export character set, and what details to incorporate.
- After following all the above steps, the NSF file data will be saved in the CSV file format.
Phase 2: Importing CSV file into Outlook
- Launch and open the Outlook.
- First, click on Open& Export from the file menu, then click on Import/Export.
- Now, an Import and Export Wizard will open. Here, select the option “Import from another program and file” and move ahead by clicking Next.
- Choose Comma Separated Values and click Next.
- Using the Browse button, browse the CSV file from its saved location. Also, select the option given for the duplicity regarding scenarios.
- Now make a selection for the Outlook folder where you want to save the exported data from the NSF file (here CSV) and move by clicking Next.
- Must check the checkbox Import “CSV” file into the Folder “Selected one”. Also, you can map custom fields as well as change destination.
- Finally, click Finish, and your data will be imported into Outlook.
Be aware of the limitations and drawbacks of the manual way:
The manual method is neither an absolute nor a preferred method for professionals. There are some drawbacks and limitations that professionals should be aware of. A few of them are:
- The manual process does not guarantee a complete conversion of the NSF file to PST format because it does not convert the calendar entries.
- The manual process has a high chance of failure due to various human errors.
- This process is very time-consuming, as it can only export one NSF file in one run. It has expensive setting-up costs as well.
- Selective conversion and specific conversion of items is not possible.
- With the migration of manual processes, there is a high threat of data loss.
- For the novice users, it isn’t very easy. Non-technical users can need help in conversion.
Professional tool to convert NSF to PST files:
We provide another easy and quick solution if you are looking for an effortless NSF to PST converter tool to migrate from HCL Notes to Outlook. We recommend Regain NSF to PST converter software to convert your NSF file to PST format. Some of the highlighted features of this software are mentioned below, which will make it clear why choosing the Regain NSF to PST converter is better.
- There is no restriction on adding multiple NSF files of any size.
- This professional tool converts complete data from Lotus Notes to Outlook (.pst) file format. No restriction on the item type.
- Converts all emails along with the attachments, such as images, documents, etc.
- Provides email filter option for selective conversion. It helps to get only the desired items in the PST file format.
- It is quick and fast, saving you lots of time during conversion.
- Preview of convertible Lotus Notes emails in the preview panel is also possible. It ensures users about the data before conversion.
- Allows you to convert NSF files to PST, MBOX, EML, MSG, EMLX, and vCard format. Users can also choose any other PST file format if required.
- It is compatible with all versions of the Windows operating system.
- It can also migrate the Lotus Notes mailbox to Cloud platforms such as Office 365, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, etc.
- This utility has a very simple and user-friendly GUI; hence, it does not require any higher technical skill to run it.
How do professionals convert NSF files to PST format?
Just follow the below-given simple steps to professionally convert NSF files to PST file format:
- Firstly, install and launch the Regain NSF to PST Converter Software.
- Now, Browse the required NSF files for the conversion. Click open after selecting.
- The software will scan the added NSF files.
- After completing scanning, you will have a preview of the folders within the NSF files.
- Click on Export and select Save to PST as the save option. Also, provide the destination path to save the resultant PST files.
- As the conversion process completes, you will get the message “Saving process has been completed.”
Over to You!
This blog covers all the possible dimensions to convert NSF files to PST format. It includes reasons, manual ways, and a professional third-party tool named Regain NSF to PST Converter Software. The device developed by Regain Software is boosted with numerous user-centric features. A free trial version of the Regain NSF to PST Converter Software is also available to download. The demo version converts the thirty items per folder as it is meant to provide satisfaction regarding the tool’s quality. Install the tool, get satisfied, and upgrade to the licensed version.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. Can I check this professional utility before purchasing the license?
A. You can check the tool’s effectiveness by installing the free demo version. The demo version is just a restricted version of the licensed/full version; in working, both are the same. By applying license, You can upgrade the demo version to the full version with no restriction.
Q. What formatting will I get in the resultant PST file? Will it be the same as the original one?
A. The tool properly maintains the originality of the files. The folder hierarchy, formatting, and meta-properties remain the same in the PST files.
Q. Is any technical support available with this professional utility developed by Regain Software?
A. Regain Software provides free technical support with all its software. Regain’s technical support team is round-the-clock and available to assist users. You can contact the technical support team through live chat, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or by telephone.
Q. Can this tool convert contacts and calendars?
A. Yes, this tool can convert contacts and calendars. Moreover, this tool can convert all items available in the NSF files. There is no restriction on the item type.