Updated On - December 10, 2022 by Henry Bray |Reading Time: 3 minutes
Apple is the most significant player in the US market. It has almost 51% of the market, and its default email client is Apple Mail. Several Apple Mail users now want to save their emails to their local disc to keep them safe and accessible even when they’re not online. This article will discuss how to export MBOX files from Apple Mail and Thunderbird.
If you’re a bit tech-savvy, you may know that an MBOX file has an entire email folder, including the inbox, sent items, deleted items, etc. Because of this, it is thought to be the best way to store and share emails. So let’s get to our main topic: exporting MBOX files from Apple Mail and Mozilla Thunderbird.
Export emails from Apple Mail or Mac Mail
Follow these steps to learn how to export messages from the Apple Mail app:
- Open Apple Mail, click on Mailboxes, and then click on Mailbox (top Menu).
- Click “Export Mailbox,” “Select the Destination Folder,” and “Choose.”
Note: You can also right-click on the Mailbox you want to export and choose “Export Mailbox” from the Menu that appears.
Now, the mailboxes you chose in your Apple Mail account are saved as MBOX files at the location you chose on your computer.
Save selective emails from Mac mail
- Make a new folder in your Mac Mail account.
- Move or make a copy of the emails you want to keep.
- Then, for the process, choose this newly made folder.
Export MBOX files from Thunderbird
By following these steps in your Mozilla Thunderbird account, you can easily get your Thunderbird mailboxes on your computer:
- Open Mozilla Thunderbird.
- Select Menu >> Add-On. Then, choose Up and Coming from the Windows tab.
- Look for the “Import/Export tool,” then download and set it up. Start up the Mozilla Thunderbird program again.
- Right-click on “All Mail,” go to “Import/Export Tool,” and then click “Export Folder.”
- Pick the folder you want to save to >> Select the Folder tab.
- Right-click the folder you saved and add.mbox to the end.
Now that you have an MBOX database on your computer, you can use any email program that supports it to open it.
Import MBOX files to Outlook
Many people who use Outlook need to import MBOX files or move emails from Thunderbird to Outlook.
Reasons why you need to import MBOX files to MS Outlook
- MS Outlook has a lot of great features, like being able to access it when you’re not online, organizing your Mailbox, anti-spam features, password protection, advanced configuration and settings, and a lot more.
- For easier access than the Apple Mail MBOX email client. MS Outlook only supports the PST file format. MBOX cannot be used in another application’s file format.
You have to manually change your MBOX files into EML or PST format and then import them into Outlook. Manual migration, on the other hand, may sound easy and convenient, but it doesn’t guarantee a full migration.
You shouldn’t try to do things by hand unless you’re a geek. Among other things, you can only import one MBOX file at a time. So, you need to move more than one MBOX file but can’t. During manual migration, other important things to think about are data loss and security.
Aside from this, another thing that users want to do is move MBOX files to Office 365. But the lack of support for the platforms makes it less likely that this could be done by hand.
This is where the Regain MBOX to PST converter tool comes in handy. The tool has a number of features, which I’ll list here:
- First, it can convert MBOX files to other file types like PST, EML, MSG, PDF, HTML, etc.
- It lets you move MBOX files into cloud platforms like Office 365, Exchange Server, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, Amazon Workmail, etc.
- The tool shows a live preview of the MBOX files you add, so you can make sure all the data is correct before moving on.
- There are no limits on the number of files or the size of each file. So, you can move a lot of files at once, even if they are big.
- The software works with multiple email clients that store data in MBOX files. This means you don’t have to worry about email clients because the software will handle all MBOX files.
These are a few of the tool’s features. We recommend that you download and use the free version of the tool to try it out before making a decision. The first 30 items per folder can be processed with the free version.
Keeping your cloud data on a local disc is always in style and is thought to be safe in a number of bad situations. Here in this article, we’ve talked about several easy ways to export MBOX files from Apple Mail and Mozilla Thunderbird. Also, if you want to convert your MBOX files to PST or any other file format, you can try Regain MBOX converter.