MS Outlook and IBM Lotus Notes are some of the most widely used and most anticipated email clients. These email clients have ruled the market for a while now. IBM Lotus Notes have been used widely since 1989, and along with being email client, it offers a lot of features like calendaring, scheduling, and programming.
On the other side, MS Outlook offers all the feature bundles to its users in an easy to use and simple UI. But IBM Lotus Notes is not that easy to use, it is still a great encryption on the edge. Various users and organizations naturally started migrating and moving from Lotus Notes to Outlook.
Try Regain NSF to Office 365 Migrator tool to Import Lotus Notes Mailbox data to Office 365 account or Exchange Server. Download Here
Why to Convert NSF to PST?
IBM Lotus Notes has been widely used as an email client for several organizations for a long time. It offers unmatched security features with encryption. Since it has stopped support for earlier versions, it is not easy to maintain this email client. To reduce cost because of high maintenance requirements and to improve productivity, a lot of organizations are moving to another email client.
Problems with IBM Lotus Notes
- As support for IBM Lotus Notes has been ended in earlier versions, a lot of organizations and users are moving to other email clients to reduce maintenance costs.
- Despite being famous for great security, IBM Lotus Notes has lost its accessibility to a great extent. It doesn’t allow any plug-in support or synchronization with third-party email clients.
- IBM Lotus Notes has a lot of learning curve. Only users with great technical knowledge can use it. So, beginners don’t have to use this client. So, IBM Lotus Notes is much useless.
- When it comes to support, IBM Lotus Notes doesn’t support any tablet or smartphone. So, you cannot access this client remotely.
- In addition, it limits its users to access only one account at a time. You have to log out of existing account to access another account with details.
Why Switch to MS Outlook?
- Main reason people switch to MS Outlook is low cost of maintenance. Outlook comes under MS Office suite. So, there is no need to buy it individually.
- It provides unmatched accessibility. You can open it from Mac, PC and even mobile devices.
- It supports a lot of plug-ins. You can use multiple accounts and connect with several apps at the same time, such as OneDrive, Skype, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- As compared to IBM Lotus Notes, MS Outlook is very user-friendly as it comes with automatic email organization for filtering and sorting, and Search Feature.
- You can use and access various accounts on Outlook at the same time without entering credentials every time.
- MS Outlook has been designed by considering various needs of beginners and vast expert demographics.
MS Outlook is among the widely used email clients. For IBM Lotus Notes to Outlook migration, you need to perform NSF to PST file conversion. We will discuss two different methods in this article to migrate Lotus Notes to MS Outlook.
Method 1 – NSF to PST Conversion Manually
As you know, you cannot access NSF file using MS Outlook. So, we will first discuss how to do it manually. Even though it doesn’t assure complete migration of database in original format, you can still go with this option if you want to access only a handful of data.
This manual method needs you to extract data from NSF and save the data in PST format that you can also access through MS Outlook and import the same to Outlook client. In this method, this file in which data is saved would be CSV. There are two steps in manual process –
- Exporting data from Lotus Notes and saving in another file.
- Importing data from separate file in MS Outlook.
Exporting data from Lotus Notes and saving in another file
1. Open IBM Lotus Notes Client
2. Select NSF file where you have to export data
3. Once you select and open file on Lotus Notes, click File on the menu bar and click Export on the drop down menu.
4. Enter file name, location of file, and file type as CSV on Export Wizard.
5. It will show up CSV Export dialog box and you can select important options.
Importing data from separate file in MS Outlook
1. Open MS Outlook
2. Click on File and click Open and Import from drop down menu
3. Once you click Import, it will show up Import and Export Wizard and it will show up different options. Select “Import from another file or program” and “Next”.
4. Choose file type as “Comma Separated Values” and click Next.
5. Click Browse and find CSV file created with Export Wizard in Lotus Notes. Select from the options provided on whether you want to create duplicate entries or not and click Next.
6. Now choose Outlook folder where you want to import data and click Finish.
7. Data saved in CSV file will be imported in MS Outlook.
Problems in Manual Conversation
- Manual conversation allows you to import email header and not the whole body content
- It is a very tedious process and is complex enough and is surely not good for basic users.
- Since manual process takes a lot of time, it is not good to migrate the whole databases in those situations.
- Migrating with manual process is very difficult and it should be done with care as incorrect technique might cause corruption of files.
- CSV format is used as mediator by manual conversation. Due to this reason, files are imported in raw format. It might not transfer data in original formatting or to maintain folders and files hierarchy.
- Manual technique just allows NSF file for conversion at a time which can make whole process boring and stressful.
- You cannot perform selective data transfer in this process. You need to transfer whole file.
Method 2 – By Using Regain NSF to PST Converter
You need a Regain NSF to PST Converter to migrate from IBM Lotus Notes to MS Outlook. But data is stored in IBM Notes in NSF format and MS Outlook uses PST format in doing the same. So, you can use Regain NSF to PST converter to convert NSF file to Outlook PST format so you can convert database of whole NSF into PST format smoothly and easily.
The tool uses effective algorithm for NSF to PST file conversion even though NSF file is encrypted. Regain NSF to PST converter doesn’t need any specific technical skill to use and it is best for all businesses. You can download this software from here:
Here’s the step-by step process for NSF to PST file conversion –
1. Open Regain NSF to PST converter.
2. Choose NSF file to perform conversion and start the process of scanning.
3. Scanning Process start to retrieve Lotus Notes Mailboxes
4. After Complete the Scanning, Show the preview of Lotus Notes Mailboxes before Saving to another format.
Saved Desire file format to Save NSF file.
Conversion process complete.
When it comes to migrate the whole databases, it is not wise to use manual method. It makes the whole process very difficult and complex. Regain NSF to PST converter is a complete tool which caters to all specifications of NSF to PST conversion. It keeps the NSF intact for conversion of NSF to PST file format. It is the best tool to perform bulk file conversion and convert data like calendar, emails, journals, contacts, etc. with precision.