How to Merge Multiple PST files Manually
Updated On - January 11, 2023 by Nasir Khan |Reading Time: 6 minutes
Regularly managing huge amount of PST files in one Microsoft Outlook account is always a headache for the users. In fact, large PST files are one of the primary causes behind the Outlook file corruption. If any user wants to get rid of data loss or corruption as well as data security problems, the only option left with him is to merge PST files into a single file. For merging Outlook PST files users can either use third party PST merger software or a manual method. In this blog, I have explained the need to merge Outlook PST files, advantages of merging PST files and the process of how to merge multiple Outlook PST files manually as well as automated solution in details. Lets start..
Need to Merge Outlook PST files
- The user has to merge multiple PST files as they occupy enough space, resulting in data corruption in Outlook.
- The user does not have enough time to import one PST at a time into Outlook.
- If you have saved multiple PST files on you system, then your Outlook will slow down and system performance will be affected.
- Another reason behind merging multiple PST files is that, they can also create duplicate emails so it is always better to merge PST files into one.
Advantages of Merging Multiple PST files
- Superb Speed: If the PST files are well managed it will speed up the search and retrieval process, which means you never have to wait long to open a single file.
- Well-maintained PST files: After arranging the PST files using the merging process, it become easy for users handle or manage.
- Multi-collection of PST files: with the help of this PST merging method, you can easily collect all the PST files from different locations in one place, so that it can be easily access anytime.
- Immediate control: The PST file merging procedure helps to quickly convert all PST files to a new updated Microsoft Outlook version.
- Clean extra occupied space: After the PST merge process, it will automatically reduce the space occupied by the PST file by deleting duplicate PST files. This increases the process quality and frees up the storage space used by the PST files.
After knowing the several advantages of merging PST files, now let us move towards the manual methods which can help in merging multiple PST files into single file. However, there are lots of paid automated solutions available to merge PST files, but before using them; it is recommended to first use the manual method to merge PST files as it is free of cost.
Easy Manual Tricks to merge PST Files into One
If you are looking for a manual solution to merge Outlook PST files into a single file in Outlook 2019/2016/2013/2010. You then need to complete this task in two phases. Also note that in Outlook 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019, the same process can be applied to combine multiple PST files into one:
Phase 1: Create a new blank PST file in Outlook
Phase 2: Merge all existing PST Files into the new PST File
Phase1: → Create a New Blank PST File in Outlook
Follow the steps below to create a new blank PST in Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007:
- First of all, open the Outlook window
- Now click on Home tab → New Items → More Items → Outlook Data File.
- Now select a path to save new blank PST and give a name for it.
- Finally, click on OK button to create a new PST file.
Phase2: → Merge Multiple PST Files into one PST File via Importing
After creating a new PST file in Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 you have to merge all existing old PST files into one and import them into the newly created PST file. For doing this, you have to follow these given steps:
- First of all, open the MS Outlook and then select the Import option by clicking on File menu → Open → Import.
- After that, an “Import-Export” wizard will open. Select Import from another program or file option and press the Next
- Now, from “Import a File” wizard you need to select a file type. Choose Outlook Data File (.pst) and click on the Next button.
- Then click the Browse button to search for the file to be imported.
- After that, select ‘do not import duplicates’ checkbox to avoid duplicates and click ‘Next’.
- Now, you need to select a folder in which you wish to import.
- After that, check the Include sub-folders and Import items into the same folder checkboxes.
- At last, click on the Finish
These methods will import all PST files to the folder which you have specified above. To import other PST files, repeat the same steps for each one. Once all files have been imported, then their data items will be merged into a single PST file.
Limitations of the manual method
- It is very difficult for the user to merge Outlook PST files together with this approach.
- It becomes a lengthy process, takes lots of time to combine multiple Outlook PST file into single one.
- Complexity increases with the more number of steps and there are high risks of data loss.
- Manual solutions requires technical knowledge in depth to merge PST files
- When users use the manual trick to merge PST files, they may also face other corruption issues as well.
An Easy Alternative Way to Merge PST Files
Regain PST Merger is an advanced tool with a number of useful functions. User can easily merge multiple PST files like emails, calendars, contacts, folders and journals without missing any data content. The Outlook PST Merger allows multiple PST files to be merged into one in just a few steps. To know more about the software read its key features listed below:
Why Choose Regain PST File Merger Tool?
This software has several features that allow users to merge Outlook data files. These features are:
- The software efficiently combines multiple PST files into one including emails, contacts, notes, calendars, tasks, and journals.
- Able to merge Unicode and ANSI PST files into single Unicode PST files.
- It facilitates you an option to merge similar folders into a single one in single attempt.
- Works well with all version of Windows and Outlook, it even runs without Outlook installation
- Advance feature to remove duplicates from Outlook emails, notes, calendar, contacts, etc.
- Supports to merge archive PST, password-protected, network, and active PST files.
- Merge Outlook archive PST files in a new PST and existing PST file effortlessly without interruption.
- Tool has the ability to merge unlimited length of PST files into single one without consuming much time.
Steps to Combine Multiple PST Files into Single File
First, download the software and install it on your computer. Then follow the steps below to combine PST files into one:
- Run the Regain PST File Merger tool on your system and add PST files which you want to merge.
- Select the items you want to merge like Mail, Contact, Task, Notes, Calendars, Journals, etc. and, after that click “Next”.
- Now select the destination location to save the merged PST files on your system. Press the “Next” button.
- Finally all your PST files are merged in single PST successfully and the merged file is saved on your system at your defined location. Click “Finish”.
One thought on “How to Merge Multiple PST files Manually”
Thanks for the informative and helpful guide. I learned a lot about how to merge PST files without using external software. I would definitely recommend this article to anyone else who needs help with this issue.