Updated On - October 17, 2022 by Henry Bray |Reading Time: 6 minutes
When PST file size exceeds the maximum file size limit. It can lead to data loss or damage of files in adverse circumstances. The larger the PST size, the greater concern for Outlook users. So you have to use some methods to control Outlook PST file size and space on your system. Nowadays, PST files are more vulnerable to corruption as they operate in Unicode format and larger PST size also affect the performance of Outlook. In this blog, we will discuss all possible manual guide to split PST file in Outlook into many small and manageable PST files. The solution we will adopt to do this task can often be use in all versions of MS Outlook.
Why You Need Splitting Large PST File?
If you see, you will find various reasons for splitting large PST files, out of which we have mentioned some common reasons below:
- MS Outlook perform slowly and sometimes hang due to increase the size of PST file.
- Users refuse to store data items in PST file folders if the PST file is not allocated to the space or left with very limited repositories.
- A large PST file, when exceeding its allowable limit, makes PST file data inaccessible to users.
Manual Steps to Split Oversized PST File
Microsoft does not provide an inbuilt tool to split large sized PST files. Therefore, we have identified several methods that can be used manually to make it possible for us to break huge PST files in Outlook 2019, 2016 and other versions.
- Reduce PST Size with Import/Export Process
- Use Move to Folder Option for Managing Large PST File
- Use Archive Wizard for Reducing PST File Size
Method 1: Reducing PST Size with Import/Export Process
The Import/Export Wizard is not only used to move data files to MS Outlook but it is also used to split PST files in MS Outlook.
Split the complete PST files by following these given directions:
- Launch MS Outlook, click ↠ File’ ↠ ‘Account Settings’ ↠ ‘ Account Settings’
- Now, a dialogue box will appear; click the ‘Add’ button under the ‘Data Files’ tab.
- Again, a new dialogue box will open; enter name and type as ‘Outlook data file (.pst)’ and click ↠ ‘OK’ to create a new PST.
- You can view this newly created PST file under Data Files
- Now, click ‘File’ ↠ ‘Open & Export’ ↠ ‘Import/Export’
- Now go to the ‘Import and Export Wizard’ and select ‘Export a File’. After that, click the ‘Next’ button
- Now, in this ‘Export File’ window, you are required to choose ‘Outlook Data File (.pst)’ and then click ‘Next’ to move further.
- Select Folders for Export and check the Enable Subfolders option if you want to export subfolders.
- Now, let’s take a look at the storage location of the exported file and select the options to prevent the exported duplicate item from being exported. And, click Finish.
- Set a password for creating a password for the PST file or just cancel it by pressing on the cancel option.
Method 2: Use Move to Folder Option for Managing Large PST File
Let us try another method for splitting over-sized PST files using this Move to the Folder option. Follow these step by step procedures that we have mentioned below:
- Open Outlook, go to the File and click ↠ Account Settings ↠ Account Settings.
- A dialog box will open; click the ‘Outlook Data Files’ option and select the oversize PST file that needed to be split and click on ‘OK’ option.
- Move to home page and open your Outlook profile with the default PST file and select the items you want to move to the new PST file you created in Step 2.
- Now you need to click the ‘Move’ button from the ribbon and select ‘Copy to Folder’ option.
- Select all data from the default PST file so that it can be move to new one.
- You can delete the copied items from the default PST file to reduce its size.
Method 3: Use Archive Wizard for Reducing PST File Size
You can also follow the mentioned procedure of this Archive Wizard for reducing the size of your PST file in Outlook:
- Open MS Outlook and go to the ‘File’ ↠ click on ‘Info’ ↠ ‘Tools’ ↠ ‘Clean up Old Items’
- Step 2: Now select ‘Archive this folder and all ‘subfolders’ as shown below in the screenshot; choose a date to Archive older items and click ‘Browse’ to save the Archive file to the desired location and after that, click the ‘OK’ button.
With the help of these methods, you can save large PST file issues by reducing their size and saving the old data items in the desired location in Outlook and so that you can use them when needed.
Limitations of Manual Techniques for Splitting PST File:
We recommend the user always try a professional tool to split a large PST file, as there are various reasons behind not using manual techniques. To know these reasons in a better way, you can look at some of the limitations of manual methods that we have mentioned below:
- It consumes lots of time of users while performing the splitting process.
- Lots of technical expertise is need to execute its complex process
- Chances of PST data corruption is also high in these manual methods
- It does not provide any guarantee of data security and integrity
Best Technique to Split PST File without Outlook:
A manual guide to split large-scale PST files works brilliantly and helps users prevent corruption and bug fixes. But, if any user wants to split their large files quickly without the installation of Outlook, then a third-party tool is the best choice for the user. There are plenty of tools available on the market, but I recommend Regain PST File Splitter as IT experts also trust it.
Split PST File utility has all the properties of professional desires that work on any size of PST file and splits files 100% accuracy without losing data. You can easily use this tool to split files data items in Outlook 2019/2016/2013/2010 and other versions.
Follow the steps given below to split bulky PST file:
- First of all, Run Regain PST Splitter Software
- Select PST file for Scanning
- Select the given option to Split PST file
- Choose the Destination location to save Split PST files
- Click Next to Complete the Process.
- finally your selected PST file is successfully split into multiple small PST files, now just click ‘Finish’ to end the process.
As we mentioned, MS Outlook has several techniques for splitting large PST files that exceed the allowable storage limit or reach the maximum storage size limit. Therefore, keeping in mind your comfort and convenience, we discuss both manual and automate solutions in this blog. As you can see, manual methods are not a direct way to split PST files; they are just temporary solutions while the professional tool is the best option without interrupting the PST file.