Migrating personal or professional e-mail to the office 365 from any e-mail client, allows you to access e-mail from any device connected to the Internet. Office 365 also has many services that enhance the productivity of your email. Because MS Outlook is the main email client, so most of you will have to migrate your email from MS Outlook Mailbox to Office 365 account.
Outlook has an Export / Import option where you can export your email to an external PST file. Later, you can import the PST file into Outlook again with Office 365 account.
Following are the reasons that push you to export Outlook Emails to Office 365 account.
1. Conversion of emails accounts
When you use an email like yahoo (test…@yahoo.com), AOL (test…@aol.com) and you want to change a new email account like test…@contoso.com.
Although you can create a new test in the …@contoso.com Outlook app, it will not have an email from the old account.
2. Change of PC to PC
When you change your computer from old to new, you need to reinstall Outlook. In this case, you want your old e-mails as well. So you need to export your email to the PST file and import the PST file to that new computer.
3. Periodic Backups
Large inbox backups reduce the size of the entire mailbox, and period backups increase data security. After downloading the backup of the data in the PST file, you need to save the file to any external location, such as another computer or USB drive.
The Outlook Migration Process requires you to move your email to an external PST file and import the PST file into another Outlook program that has an Office 365 account.
Export Outlook Emails to PST
- First go to the top of your Outlook ribbon, and click File.
- Choose Open & Export>>>Import/Export.
- In “Import and Export Wizard” choose ‘Export to a file’ option and Click Next.
- Select the Outlook Data File (PST) and click Next.
- Select an email account to export. Make sure you check ‘Include Subfolders’ to get everything out of the account. Select Contacts, Calendar, Boxes, Magazine, and click Next
- Click the Browse button to select the location of the PST file where the file will be saved. Click the ‘OK’ button to proceed further.
- If you want to export data to an existing PST file, then click Options and specify what to do when exporting data already exist in the file.
- After that just Click Finish.
- The Outlook starts with the export process.
NOTE: When you run the export process at this time, if you choose a password-protected option, it increases the security of your personal PST file, so in most cases you have to choose to place the password in the PST files.
Once you export the mailbox data in PST file, you will still required to go to the Outlook and import the PST file into the Office 365 account mailbox.
Import PST to Outlook
- Click File tab, click Open & Export, and select Import/Export.
- Import and Export wizard will appear on the screen.
- Choose ‘Import from another program or file’, and then click Next.
- Now choose Outlook Data File (PST) and click Next.
- Browse the PST file that you had exported earlier, and then under the Options, there are three options –
- Replicate duplicates with items imported.
- Allow duplicates to be created.
- Do not import duplicates.
- Select the option among the three and click Next.
- If you specify a password in the PST file, you must enter the password and click OK.
- Choose the Import items to the same folder in option and select the Microsoft 365 mailbox, Click Finish.
- Outlook will start importing PST file content into Office 365 mailbox. Later, you can open all the contents of the mailbox.
When you want to export and import a PST file into the Office 365 mailbox, then you can use this inbuilt Import / Export method that proves to be most appropriate for one mailbox. If you want to migrate multiple mailboxes to the Office 365 account, then you will have to spend a lot of time migrating to each mailbox. Moreover, there is no significant e-mail filtering and exclusion of unwanted emails as well. Thus, if you want to conduct safe and secure migration, then you must go for a professional Regain PST to Office 365 Migration tool with adequate features. This tool embedded with free trial version, which allow user to import first 30 emails per folder at free of cost.