Last Updated on January 22, 2021 by Henry Bray
Summary: Migration from Lotus Notes to Outlook becomes now simple for the users with this blog having two different solutions. Here, users can select any method by examine and evaluating both the method as per their requirements. We will also discuss different needs of Lotus Notes to Outlook converter and then suggest an easy and harmless way to convert Lotus Notes to Outlook.
Lotus Notes is one of the strong & secured email clients used by business organization. However, it becomes very difficult for users to deal with it every day because users need a simplified interface application. But when Microsoft comes with Outlook, Lotus Notes users have found a better option. Most of the users convert Lotus Notes to Outlook for various reasons as it has many advantages such as –
- Outlook is a cost effective application that charges lower maintenance cost as compared to Lotus Notes.
- Microsoft Outlook provides better security feature and files protection, while Lotus Notes does not.
- Outlook is a user-friendly application that suits all type of users either they are technically skilled or not, but Lotus Notes application is less user-friendly as it requires technical expertise to handle it.
- Microsoft Outlook is available as a part of the MS office suite, where as Lotus Notes is a standalone application (need to purchase).
- Outlook has large data storage capacity, moreover data management feature are comparatively superior then Lotus Notes.
After reading above points, you must have understood that why users want to shift from Lotus Notes to Outlook platform. So let us now try to know what solutions are available to us to convert NSF files data from Lotus Notes to Outlook easily.
Before, we proceed to the solutions to convert mailbox data from Lotus Notes to Outlook; you have to focus on few important things. As, you already know that NSF is a file format used by IBM/Lotus Notes for data storage, whereas Outlook uses PST format for the same. Due to the different file formats of these two email clients, you cannot access Lotus Notes NSF file directly in Outlook. Since, the NSF file is not supported by MS Outlook, you need to convert NSF file to PST file format. For this task you can use either manual method or a third-party ‘Lotus Notes to Outlook Converter tool’.
How to convert Lotus Notes NSF file to Outlook PST using manual method?
Let us begin with the manual procedure to convert Lotus Notes emails to Outlook for free:
Step 1: Launch and open IBM Lotus Notes application.
Step 2: Go to ‘File’ option, click ‘Open’ and then again click on ‘Louts Notes Application’.
Step 3: In the Open Application window, find the required NSF file and click ‘Open’. The selected NSF file opens.
Step 4: Now, go to the ‘File’ menu, and click the ‘Export’ option.
Step 5: On ‘Export’ dialogue box, Browse and choose the point where you wish to save the files.
Step 6: After that choose Comma Separated Value format for the file.
Step 7: Now a CSV Export dialogue box will open. Select the required options from ‘How much to export’, ‘Export Character Set’ and ‘Detail to incorporate’ sections. After selection click OK.
Congratulations, now you have successfully saved NSF files from Lotus Notes to CSV file format in the defined location. Now you need to import this intermediate CSV file into MS Outlook.
Step 1: Open ‘MS Outlook’ program and visit ‘File’ menu.
Step 2: Now, click ‘Open & Export’ option, and then click ‘Import/Export’.
Step 3: An Import and Export Wizard dialog box appears. From the options, select ‘Import from another program or file’. Click ‘Next’.
Step 4: In ‘Import a file’ dialogue box, select ‘Comma Separated Values’ as file type and click ‘Next’.
Step 5: Click ‘Browse’ and select the path to the ‘CSV file’ that you previously created with the Lotus Notes ‘Export’ command. You can choose the options as per your preference.
Step 6: Select the Outlook folder where you want to import the data and click ‘Next’.
Step 7: Select the specified check box in the ‘Import a File’ dialog box and tap the ‘Finish’ button.
After following this manual method, you can succeed in transferring your data from Lotus Notes to Outlook. However, in many cases, this manual solution fails due to several issues such as:
- Only technical experts can handle this manual method as it has long and complex process.
- If NSF files exceed size of 1 GB, this manual method fails to convert Lotus Notes emails to Outlook.
- Calendars entries may show issues and slow down the Lotus Notes to Outlook conversion process.
- When you use the manual solution, remember that your entire data is at the risk of corruption.
- There is a high possibility of errors, if the process is not handled correctly.
Therefore, professional help is probably the best way to convert Lotus Notes to Outlook email, according to many experts. It is recommended to use professional tools as they are built to protect your database surely. There are certain decent tools available on the web but you might not find it easy to choose a single tool as a first time user. But you don’t have to worry because we are here with the best tool. Continue reading “How to easily transfer Lotus Notes data to Outlook PST file”